bumcheekcity's Easy Snapshot Maker

bumcheekcity

I am in the process of adding support for the manuel. Taking opinions as to the best layout. Please chime in ,because that will be done last.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Maybe a giant table of monsters (like the discoveries section) where the background is filled in as a progress bar. That would be a lot easier to sort through than 3 different colors.

Alternatively, there could be separate sections for monsters to go into based on how well they have been researched, but that wouldn't fit with how other sections are displayed.

bumcheekcity

I'm thinking of having the manuel data on a completely different page. I'm also willing to have some slightly different methods of display if people can justify the reason that they might want to have them.

xKiv

(agreed on the different page thing, it's a lot of data)

Mmm ... how bout:
On the main page, just have a "Manuel completion score: $researched/$extensively/$completely (out of $totalMonstersKnown)", with a green manuel icon (or an empty manuel icon if the character doesn't have it), with a link to a new (popup?) page that lists the monsters ...
... and there we could have buttons/radiobuttons/checkboxes to change the presentation ...
1) limit monsters shown by research level (the most useful settings for this would probably be: a] only completely unresearched, b] any researched (complementary to a), c] everything that isn't completely researched d] everything).
This could probably be superceded by collapsing sections when ordered by research level.
2) order by: alphabet/research level
3) show research level as: number, progress bar, color
4) name filter? (input box + javascript that hides all entries that don't match the text in the input box; can even have regex there, it's basically the same code complexity in the javascript, and can do more interesting filters; if you want some inspiration for this, I wrote a filtering GM script(<- link) for metroplexity, but that's probably an overkill)
5) do we want monsters as just list of names (one on a line), or an icon grid like the familiar/iotm tables? I suspect list of names will be enough.
6) show/don't show the factoids themselves?
7) how to handle different monsters with the same name (gremlins before factoid disambiguation, spectres before stats disambiguation)?
(ETA: gremlins only need this if you are showing unresearched monsters, because the first research level already disambiguates on factoid, as far as I can tell)

I love seeing lots of green on my bumcheekcity profile. But it would be really nice to have one page or option to view just the ones that aren't fully researched instead of having to sort through a massive list of knowns and partially knowns and unknowns. Although maybe that's what a kolmafia script could do instead of having the website do it.

natnit

As a tool for collectors, I think the niftiest thing (even though it might be a bit out of scope) is being able to sort by relative rarity.

For each monster, count up the number of people who have exhaustively researched it. For example, 2000 people have fully researched a dairy goat, but only 10 people have fully researched the GMOB. For each user, filter out the results that they have personally researched fully, and sort by relative rarity, ascending. Great for determining your next few targets.

Aggregation could be done in a daily/weekly cron job, and should probably not be too bad since it only serves the cross-section that uses Mafia/BCS and has a manuel.

I agree with Natnit. That's a great idea. That way you can go after the easy to get ones or spend some time/meat to get the hard ones (depending on your goal/mood).

xKiv

I must agree, though, that it would be very very nifty.

And it reminds me of one more thing that can be done: mark monsters according to how "gettable" they are, like this:
- unlimited (anybody with mall access can go and fight unlimited amounts of it, given enough adventures)
- regular/common (anybody with mall access can go to the zone and fight lots of it - limited by perhaps daily production of something, e.g. spaaaaaaace monsters limited by transponders; also monsters with daily limit or effective daily limit, like dooks (5-15), or gremlins, or black puddings; also reccuring holiday monsters (FoB, burrachos, talk-like-pirates))
- uncommon (you may lock yourself out of fighting those by doing something, or not doing something, or levelling up, or (not) picking certain path ... bombed-out/normal post-war island zones here, moonsign zones, cola war battlefield, bees, ...)
- limited (limited amount per ascension, and then even possibly only in certain paths - island battlefield, bosses, class shadows, ...)
- rare (even if you pick all the right choices, you are not guaranteed to ever meet these - war heroes, tower monsters (and ultrarares, but those don't have factoids)
- faxbot level (not available on any level above, but in faxbot) (maybe "faxbot" could be just an extra flag, combinable with uncommon/limited/rare/+)
- worse (one-time ever, like flameface was)
- unavailable(gone) - probably shouldn't even be mentioned on the page

Anybody up for combing monsters.txt and categorizing ALL the monsters?
Dibs on not me ... :(

bumcheekcity

You can combine a mafia map to a .txt file in a second, it's already done. Sorting out that map file is going to be horrible, admittedly, but it's a start.

KrennVonSalzburg

I'm thinking of having the manuel data on a completely different page. I'm also willing to have some slightly different methods of display if people can justify the reason that they might want to have them.

Perhaps on the main page, a four-part bar spanning the width to give a general overview of state? One stacked horizontal bar with four colors, for Exhaustively, Thoroughly, Casually and non. As research is performed the left-hand ones will grow in proportion while non-researched shrinks. Make the bar itself a link to the detailed page you've mentioned.

The problem, of course, will be figuring out how many that "non-researched" comprises.

Example: like one of these, but only one bar and spanning the entire width.
http://akweebeta.com/mediawiki-1.12.0/images/9/99/Stacked_Bar_Chart_Example.jpg

bumcheekcity

Incredibly basic support for the manuel has been added on the SVN. Access the data by adding "&manuel=1" to your snapshot script.

Edit: Actually, no, scratch that, back to the drawing board.

bumcheekcity

Have asked CDMoyer for an API as it's incredibly slow to do this otherwise. Might also solve the issue of multiple monsters with the same name.

bumcheekcity

OK, SVN version should check manuel now. Still highly buggy, nowhere near good enough to release, but I can work on how it needs to look for the moment, and sort out getting monsters with the same name.

hesuchia

I agree that a separate page or even a tab is probably best >.>. So many monsters in KoL, it'd be a scrolling nightmare crammed into the same page.