Winterbay's Helpful Automatic Monsterbasher (WHAM)

Winterbay

FYI creating a new project on sourceforge is not really the right way to create a new development branch. I'll make a new post in my svn primer since I think the information is relevant outside the scope of this thread.

I am aware of that and I did quickly look for a way to do it (I evenstarted to read that document on branching you linked the other day) but couldn't make heads nor tails of it and this was a lot faster (and since I've had a dev-version alongside the release version for quite some time no real change for me). Any hints or guids on what to do instead would be very welcome.

Magus_Prime

I just updated the beta version of WHAM with an attempt to handle the fighting with the items used in the Gladiator path of the sea. Unfortunately I have no way of testing it since I just beat the scholar boss for the 4th time and have two more scholar runs left, but if anyone else wants to test it out I'm all ears :)

I'm taking a Sauceror down the Gladiator path over the next day or so. Will WHAM beta automatically equip the weapons for training?

Winterbay

No it won't (it can't since it isn't called until you are already in the fight), but if you have them equipped it will try to land critical attacks with it until you need to do something else to win the fight, or at least that was my intention. Confirmation that that actually works would be great :)

Magus_Prime

Code:
[1191] The Red Queen's Garden
Encounter: wasp in a wig
Round 0: Arbos wins initiative!
Function 'hitchance( )' undefined. This script may require a more recent version of KoLmafia and/or its supporting scripts. (WHAM beta.ash, line 586)
Consult script 'WHAM beta.ash' not found.
You're on your own, partner.

Under r12220. Latest version of WHAM beta installed.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
my level 118 character

I aspire to your heights.

If it is useful I will be glad to cease climbing those heights with a 103 level Pastamancer to provide data for WHAM or autobasement. This character has already turned up a few edge cases for WHAM as well as several more cases where I just didn't understand WTF was supposed to happen and so assumed WHAM was not doing what it was supposed to ;-)

Theraze

Drat. I tried to check that on the wiki. I'd ask another question, but I don't want to derail things. Thanks for the heads up.

I believe you get to dad by wearing the other 6 parts of the loathing outfit, created by smithing together the gladiator/scholar rewards. His combat is both puzzle and damage based, so that will definitely take some major eventual WHAM/BatBrain parsing if it will be handled. If not... be prepared to sit with either the wiki or the GD post open. :) Or try a lot of times.

Crowther

I believe you get to dad by wearing the other 6 parts of the loathing outfit, created by smithing together the gladiator/scholar rewards. His combat is both puzzle and damage based, so that will definitely take some major eventual WHAM/BatBrain parsing if it will be handled. If not... be prepared to sit with either the wiki or the GD post open. :) Or try a lot of times.
I was going to try the Grease Monkey script. I just got my outfit and figured you had to open the temple first. Now that I see you don't, I might save dad for when I get really bad RNG and just want to finish the quest quickly, while I try to reacquire the other two outfits.
several more cases where I just didn't understand WTF was supposed to happen and so assumed WHAM was not doing what it was supposed to ;-)
That happens to me all the time. I've gotten better at looking at the verbose output and discovering, "Oh, that really was optimal here." These days it's been using the silent skills a lot. I figured those were useless.

Winterbay

Since some kind soul gave me the Candyblast skill book today I've been enjoying watching WHAM using almost nothing but that today, I finally see what everyone was talking about... It failed to get me beaten up though so that's nice I guess :)

Magus_Prime

I tried the WHAM beta handling of learning the Mer-Kin gladiator weapons this morning and it works well. No stasis attempts and if one of the weapons is equipped it attacks with the weapon.

One thing I found myself wishing for is an auto-stop once the third skill for a given weapon is learned. Is that something that you might entertain as a feature request. Perhaps controlled by a zlib variable?

Theraze

One thing I found myself wishing for is an auto-stop once the third skill for a given weapon is learned. Is that something that you might entertain as a feature request. Perhaps controlled by a zlib variable?

Since this is a combat script rather than an adventuring script, it's rather difficult to autostop without making things go wrong in the middle of combat. :) Seems like the best fix for this would be requesting mafia tracking of the skills being learned, with the various texts posted, so that you can track that properly. Bonus from mafia learning them: it properly resets on ascensions.

Crowther

I tried the WHAM beta handling of learning the Mer-Kin gladiator weapons this morning and it works well. No stasis attempts and if one of the weapons is equipped it attacks with the weapon.

Interesting. I tried it and it didn't seem to work. I don't have time for debugging, so I'm not sure why. I checked I was running the beta version. That one should probably output a warning when it runs. Maybe WHAM figured I was in danger. I ended up doing that part manually. I managed to train one weapon start to finish in a single combat!

Total aside: It was a great morning. Freed the King on SC day 3, completed The Sea (using <60 turns free fishy from semirare & fish pipe, with no runaways), My Nemesis, and got a Facsimile Dictionary. It's time to jump in again.
Since this is a combat script rather than an adventuring script, it's rather difficult to autostop without making things go wrong in the middle of combat. :) Seems like the best fix for this would be requesting mafia tracking of the skills being learned, with the various texts posted, so that you can track that properly. Bonus from mafia learning them: it properly resets on ascensions.
WHAM could check to see if you have the final skill for your current weapon and both warn that you're fully trained and not bother with more training.

Oh, after seeing Bale's post that changes to SVN scripts should be made in the svn directory, I went and checked out WHAM right over my debugging patches. I had some of them saved to a file, but not my latest. What was I thinking? At least I'm using the current version (or beta) for sure now.

Winterbay

With enough crit-chance and moxie you should be able to do that. That said what my edit was supposed to do, according to my thinking, not sure the programming was saying the same but that's why it needed testing, was to stasis with "attack" for as long as you could survive and then move on to kill the monster. But I guess if it never thought about stasising then that would not work...

Magus_Prime

No stasis attempts at all. I had Muscle and Moxie between 1500 - 1600 and it chose to one or two-shot everything.
I had Mom's critical bonus buff and the V mask equipped.

I completed a Hatred Sauceror run this morning but I'm willing to spend turns in The Sea testing behavior. What would you suggest trying?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
No stasis attempts at all. I had Muscle and Moxie between 1500 - 1600 and it chose to one or two-shot everything.
I had Mom's critical bonus buff and the V mask equipped.

With stats that high, it seems very difficult to use normal attacks and not kill everything in a few hits, regardless of what the script is trying to do.

Winterbay

You could try the version I just uploaded which should stasis if we have one of the items equipped, are under water and can crit. At least I think so...

Magus_Prime

So in this case it sounds like it would be more useful to depend on critical hits getting through to kill the monster.

I'll try the new beta version without buffing.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
So in this case it sounds like it would be more useful to depend on critical hits getting through to kill the monster.

I'll try the new beta version without buffing.

Your stats still need to be high enough to hit normally, since otherwise you get critical misses, which are the same as normal hits. Equipping a few thousand fake hands to reduce damage done would work, if you could manage to get those.