TheSea.ash - Automated Underwater Quests

bumcheekcity

Theraze, what is "almost" to a hatred outfit piece? And will a setting of "3" automatically work out which one of the sub-items I want?

bumcheekcity

Also, I noticed the script doesn't appear to be running -combat (in the various places where it's looking for NCs)? Feature or bug?

Theraze

Re: 162 - Hatred first if you haven't gotten it, since that one will complete until you have the Dreadscroll and the DDS skill (or its book) and have used the Knucklebone. If you're running Bale's modifications to BBB and are using WHAM, you may also have completed the library NCs, the two scrolls, and only need to do the skill. Since people may have different choices as to how to buff against the spooky damage, that's a player-controlled thing. After you have only a single missing clue, you can rerun the script to both prep for the boss combat and start it, throwing 6 healing items (5 to survive, 1 to heal up after) and the two delevellers which basically mean you don't need the healing... but it's there in case your elemental choices from the prepping are terrible. Or you can manually import the script and run prepHatred() to get ready and smiteHatred() to begin the actual fight. Either way. :)
If you already have number-2 Hatred pieces (with 3, that would be 1 Hatred piece) for your current class, we start up the Violent path. We go +combat (because without +combat, we never get the NC) in the Gym and look for the parts to make the Gladiator Gear. After that, we get the 3 weapons, and... abort. The question after that is whether we want to auto-buy +critical consumables (usually nightstalkers and natto marble) and auto-apply enough stat-boosts to get natural criticals in the gym. Currently I manually apply the power and audacity potions and then go with either tomato, gr8ness, sarcasm... whatever it takes to get up to ~1.2-1.5k muscle and moxie both. Then adventure in the gym with a weapon until glad-skills are 3, switch weapon, repeat until all are done. Then go through the Colosseum in order... dragnet/switchblade/dodgeball... manually, since BatBrain doesn't recognize the special attacks yet, making any sort of scripting there rather difficult. :) After that, buy 4 crayon shavings, change from the dodgeball to... something else - sometimes just maximize, sometimes just change the weapon... depends on laziness. And whack the boss (after 2 series of funked-crayons) to death in <10 rounds. But Violent pieces are currently slower and more manual.
Regarding the actual Loathing pieces... we currently don't put them together ever. I'll probably throw in an automatic check eventually where if you tell it that you want to run the script and you already have enough of both Hatred/Violence and you haven't put them together yet, we'll do it for you. If you don't have enough pieces possible though to fight Dad, we might tell you which parts are missing, but... that's an eventual thing. For now. And when that happens, I'll probably change the current switched-mess into a map so I can iterate over it more easily. :)
I have mine set to 4 so that I get my Hatred piece, my Loathing piece, and my Violence piece each. Or to say it differently, 2 Hatred pieces before it will get my first Violence piece. Which is useful since Hatred is more automated.

Re: 163 - Feature, I guess? It's not a bug, because it was left that way on purpose at some point. With the exception of the Outpost and the Stashbox, there's no -combat spots where it's required. I've pondered making it go -combat as soon as the garden is done, but I'd need to refine the +combat checker to uneffect -combat stuff properly first... right now the only skill-cancellation are the mutually exclusive skills that auto-cancel, and we specifically look for skills we can cast, not ones to be removed or acquired through dubious means. We'll probably keep the "only use skills you can actually apply yourself" part of the auto-rules, but might auto-remove bad effects. If this happens, I can feel better about adding -combat to the early part of the run without worrying about messing up someone's Violent collections. And switch the Violent run to -combat after all the required parts are collected to reduce useless NC turn-loss.
So I guess the answer here is feature, but it's not a feature that's planned to stay that way forever. :)

Unrelated amusement. Apparently the emoticons count as images. Can't use more than 4. Huh.

This last time I went into the coliseum without learning any of the skills. I buffed to 3,000 or so muscle with gear and potions and such and just lazily beat stuff to a pulp and continued on.

It wasn't cheap, but eh, I was in a hurry to get into Dreadslyvania and check that out. ;)

So, you're saying if I want one of each outfit, I need to set the value to 4? I just like having one of everything, so I'm assuming I'll have to do the sea quest a bunch of times for that. If I have to manually put them together I'm fine with that.

Theraze

Yep. 4 means to leave you with enough for both the individual outfits as well as the combined loathing outfit. Otherwise set 1 or 2 as desired for continued farming of pieces.

morgad

Okay, r16 should hopefully take care of that. This is due to the changes for unlucky faxers where they don't get the pellet... we used the pellet during the fax check, but then checked if we still had a pellet. Now we just skip using the pellet as part of the faxing and use it afterwards regardless of whether we need to farm for it or if faxing got us set. :)

running current mafia and TheSea (r17)
it still appears to be a bit confused about the flytrap pellet
Code:
[899] photocopied monster
Encounter: Neptune flytrap
Strategy: /home/fit/.kolmafia/ccs/default.ccs [default]
Round 0: morgad loses initiative!
You lose 105 hit points
WHAM: Running SmartStasis
Round 1: morgad executes a macro!
Round 1: morgad uses the chloroform rag!
Round 2: morgad casts SUMMON MAYFLY SWARM!
Round 3: You open the little container full of mayfly bait and swing it around. A tiny swarm of mayflies buzzes into the area.
WHAM: Starting evaluation and performing of attack
WHAM: Enqueuing a stun to help with the battle
WHAM: We are going to 7-shot with chloroform rag, Zombo's empty eye, flaming feather, flaming feather, flaming feather, flaming feather and Weapon of the Pastalord.
Round 3: morgad executes a macro!
Round 3: morgad uses the chloroform rag and uses the Zombo's empty eye!
Round 4: neptune flytrap takes 154 damage.
Round 4: neptune flytrap drops 48 attack power.
Round 4: neptune flytrap drops 38 defense.
Round 4: morgad uses the flaming feather and uses the flaming feather!
Round 5: neptune flytrap takes 91 damage.
Round 5: neptune flytrap takes 112 damage.
Round 5: morgad uses the flaming feather and uses the flaming feather!
Round 6: neptune flytrap takes 81 damage.
Round 6: neptune flytrap takes 82 damage.
Round 6: morgad casts WEAPON OF THE PASTALORD!
Round 7: neptune flytrap takes 198 damage.
Round 7: morgad wins the fight!
After Battle: The swarm of mayflies buzzes around the ground, helping you find stuff. At least you think that's what they're doing.
You gain 4 hit points
You gain 5 Muscularity Points
After Battle: Tofflesby does a couple of karate moves, then swivels his hips and gyrates his pelvis.
You acquire an item: flytrap pellet
You gain 68 Strongness
You gain 30 Enchantedness
You gain 28 Sarcasm
bagOTricksCharges => 1
Finished using 1 photocopied monster.
You have failed to get the wriggling flytrap pellet in 15 attempts, or ran out of adventures.
We need to find Grandma before we can continue on our grand adventure.

edit: it was right about the pellet, but wrong about the 15 attempts or lack opf adventures :)

best regards
Dave

Last edited:

Theraze

Yes... and no. It would originally make 15 attempts to have the fax go through. If it fails to start the fight 15 times, or you didn't get the drop, you got that message. :) We'll comment that one out for you so it doesn't abort there anymore. Not sure what exactly that will do for the faxers, but... we'll see, eh? :D

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I freely admit to complete and total ignorance concerning the Sea. The script, TheSea, wants me to train with the lasso. That's fine. I get a lasso, use it in combat and repeat until something tells me I have reached expert level. Has anyone scripted this (so I don't have to do it myself)? If I have to do it myself, I'm especially interested in how to handle dolphins. Is there something out there that will recognize that my goal is a lasso, the dolphin just grabbed it and use a whistle or tell me that I can't use the whistle at the moment? Is there a setting that mafia is tracking that will let me know what my level of lasso expertise is?

Thanks.

Winterbay

1) WHAM will do the training for you, as will any script using SmartStasis IIRC
2) The expertise level is stored in the preference lassoTraining
3) BBB will hunt for things you have as a goal, including using dolphin whistles as needed, otherwise it will only use the whistle if the item stolen is worth more than the sand dollar it costs to acquire it back.

I use the following, very very simple, afterAdventureScript in order to make sure I always have a sea lasso available
Code:
ashq if(can_interact() && available_amount($item[sea lasso]) == 0) {buy(1,      $item[sea lasso]);}

Theraze

Yep. Just like he said. I use WHAM (well, actually WHAM Beta, but same general difference) for my combat and BBB for my before battle (and after battle) script with some personalized modifications... like that it's still actually the 2.6 version, not the latest, because the familiar-switching enhancements we worked through for a few weeks didn't make it into 2.7 and I like those. :D It does have Bale's zone-tweaks, but without removing the original BBB functionality where he'd made a personal call.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Thanks. I am using WHAM but not any of the standardized pre/post battle scripts, except to the extent that they are called by something else. Since TheSea told me to go train does that mean it recognized nothing was happening or is that something I have to do myself anyway. In other words, once I install BBB can I just run TheSea again or will I have to automate adventures until lassoTraining reaches the desired value?

Theraze

TheSea will check the lassoTraining property to see if it's done yet. If you're using WHAM or SS, those will also check if you have a lasso and if lassoTraining is not yet expert and if so, throw a lasso (or two) to begin your fight. If you aren't using them though, you'll just need to throw lassos until they're expert. Then you can run TheSea again and it will automatically continue. Until whatever point it doesn't. :D

Also, since I see you asked directly about that... BBB won't do the lassoTraining for you. BBB is dolphin whistles and (with Bale's modifications) automatically getting the right library choices for clues. Either WHAM or SS will do the lasso-ing. But since you're at a stop-point, TheSea doesn't have any more adventuring (unless you've elected for elective quests that aren't done yet) where it will auto-lasso. You'll need to decide which of the 8 or so underwater zones you'd most like to spend your turns farming in for lasso skill, and when I suggested hardcoding that to the corral people didn't like the thought, so... your choice. :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Thank you.

To reiterate, based upon where I am now.

I add BBB so that when my goal is a lasso and a dolphin steals it, a whistle will most likely be used to recover it.
I then adventure in the corral until I get a lasso.
I then adventure somewhere of my choice, but in the sea, allowing WHAM to use the lasso until I lose the lasso and have to get another one or until lassoTraining indicates I am expert.
When I am expert, I run TheSea again.

Thanks.

Theraze

Yes.
If you're doing this on the cheap, I'd adventure in the corral since there you can get more lassos as you're training.
If you're wanting to minimize adventures wasted, I'd buy the first lasso (and anytime you don't have one from your corral-farming) so you don't end up cursing the RNG as it gives you 13 sea cows in a row.

Otherwise, all good. :) Note that BBB (any before battle/after adventure script) only runs during automated adventuring unless you tell it that it that it should work during relay-browsing as well.

Theraze

Just noting here so that if I forget, people can remind me that it needs to get fixed...

There's currently a bug where, if you have good RNG luck and find Grandma before you get the stashbox key, the script won't know which adventure needs to be modified and it will change the wrong one. Cancelling and rerunning the script after you find the key should fix it. I'd been wondering why sometimes the script would abort on its adventures saying that the adventure hadn't been set yet... that's why. So I just need to tell the script to get the stashbox key before it tries to find the stashbox. :) Hopefully easy to implement, but for those that don't read the SVN change notes, if you notice any new bugs tied into this... let me know.

Theraze

Yep. My normal underwater lazy-clothing alias is mymax 100 mainstat, equip make scuba, equip sea chaps, equip sea cowboy. :) With mymax being the maximization alias I've posted a bunch of places before as a personalized tiebreaker. :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I ignored the sea for quite a long time, so I won't say I'm an expert, but I did see that if you're wearing a sea cowboy hat and sea chaps that you'll learn ropin' a lot faster.

Yep. I discovered that. With BBB now handling dolphins, I have semi-automated training for me. Might eventually make that bullet proof and publish.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I manged to make TheSea get my first outfit piece. Lasso acquisition and training were a problem but BBS and manual training addressed that. I ended up doing the Scholar. I had to get most of the dreadscroll clues manually - not sure whether that is a script issue or an operator expectations issue. The script was confused - once I got 7 clues and guessed the 8th and unlocked the temple, it failed to realize that had happened and kept adventuring looking for another dreadscroll. I did not bother to see if there was something I could set to correct that and just ran the boss combat manually.

Not as automated and idiot proof as I might like but definitely an improvement over doing it manually. Thank you.