TheSea.ash - Automated Underwater Quests

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
It doesn't recognize that the dreadscroll has been guessed at successfully (manually) and tries to get the knucklebone (which was the last clue) anyway. I am reporting because it bothered me again but I have a vague recollection of having mentioned it before and the impression that it bothers me more than you and/or the fix is not as simple as I might believe.

Probably new, and I'm not sure how this occurred, but I had an unused trail map in inventory and the script kept looking for a key (that wasn't going to drop).

In spite of my complaints, I do appreciate this script in its current state much more than trying to do it all manually or with the wiki to help. Thank you.

Theraze

Code:
				if (get_property("dreadScroll1") == "0" && item_amount($item[mer-kin dreadscroll]) < 1) obtain(1, $item[mer-kin dreadscroll], $location[mer-kin library]);
Code:
				if (get_property("dreadScroll4") == "0")
It only tries to get another dreadscroll if item 1 is unguessed. It only tries to get a knucklebone if you don't know the clue. Rather than check 8 values, we only check one...

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Code:
				if (get_property("dreadScroll1") == "0" && item_amount($item[mer-kin dreadscroll]) < 1) obtain(1, $item[mer-kin dreadscroll], $location[mer-kin library]);
Code:
				if (get_property("dreadScroll4") == "0")
It only tries to get another dreadscroll if item 1 is unguessed. It only tries to get a knucklebone if you don't know the clue. Rather than check 8 values, we only check one...

So you are reiterating a point that may have been obscured in a previous conversation, and that is that mafia is not setting the preferences "correctly" if the last clue is guessed manually?

Trail map? :)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Code:
if (get_property("dreadScroll4") == "0" && get_property("merkinQuestPath") == "none" )
looks like an improvement for that second check, making sure you actually need that clue without trying to check 8 values.

Theraze

Sure. Blindly applying lost's second check to the clue4 check, since if you have guessed the answer then Path should be set. That would be r38.

Mr_Crac

Theraze, may I suggest buying and using one pulled yellow taffy to get the Mer-kin darkbook from the Mer-kin researcher?
This is so much superior to adventuring there until it drops. Seriously :)

Theraze

Sure, suggest away. And I'll point you straight to the OP, where it says:
Surviving combats is your responsibility
Any YR or other such combat fanciness you want to do is your choice as well. And if you have your
Code:
[ mer-kin researcher ]
item pulled yellow taffy
consult WHAM.ash
or whatever CCS you want set up, great! And so easy to do...

Theraze

I know I permed it months ago and haven't really thought about it much since. But hey, I do get new people using the script every few days, so there are still some people out there who likely haven't done any of the quest bits yet.

Mr_Crac

Also, perming Deep Dark Visions is superior to using a yellow taffy every run. Probably.

Sure, but at the very least, for the very first time before you have that skill, yellow taffy is vastly, greatly, tremendously superior than spending hundreds of turns hunting an item with a low drop rate.

Also, what's up with this:

Code:
[1556] Mer-kin Temple
Encounter: They've Got Fun and Games
Encounter: They've Got Everything You Want
Encounter: Honey, They Know the Names
You acquire an effect: More Like a Suckrament (duration: 1 Adventure)
Encounter: Yog-Urt, Elder Goddess of Hatred
Round 0: mr_crac loses initiative!
You lose 102 hit points
Round 1: mr_crac uses the red pixel potion and uses the sea lasso!
You gain 101 hit points
Round 2: yog-urt, elder goddess of hatred drops 267 attack power.
Round 2: yog-urt, elder goddess of hatred drops 262 defense.
You lose 115 hit points
Round 2: mr_crac uses the red potion and uses the Mer-kin mouthsoap!
You acquire an effect: Healthy Red Glow (duration: 20 Adventures)
You gain 104 hit points
Round 3: yog-urt, elder goddess of hatred drops 284 attack power.
Round 3: yog-urt, elder goddess of hatred drops 284 defense.
You lose 115 hit points
You lose an effect: Beaten Up
Best of luck finishing off the fight!

Well the fight was already lost there. Not much point in wishing me luck then?
If the script cannot reliably kill the end boss, then I guess it would be better to default to letting the player do the final battle manually. That's how it used to be, and rightfully so - dunno why that was changed.

Last edited:

Theraze

Your buffs gave you too much +hp for the maximizer to compensate for (since we maximize for -hp), and so you were unable to heal and survive the fights. Nothing I can really do about people doing massive +hp through buffs.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Sure, but at the very least, for the very first time before you have that skill, yellow taffy is vastly, greatly, tremendously superior than spending hundreds of turns hunting an item with a low drop rate..

Sure. Presumably you do the Scholar quest at least once manually before automating it, no?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
At least. I did it 12 times without EVER automating it. Long before I was done doing that, KoLmafia had all the support that I ever missed, since I added it along the way.

Bale

Minion
Ha~ I did the Scholar path 14 times without ever automating it! (And the Gladiator path 14 times also! And three more times fighting Dad!) Do I win? What's the prize?

(14 times so I could get 2 extra stick-knives.)

Oh, by the way, I never used yellow taffy. I got my Deep Dark Visions the old fashioned way — I copied the monster and fought him on land. Then I promptly permed it and never worried about it ever again.

Mr_Crac

Your buffs gave you too much +hp for the maximizer to compensate for (since we maximize for -hp), and so you were unable to heal and survive the fights. Nothing I can really do about people doing massive +hp through buffs.

It is perfectly reasonable to use these buffs while fighting the tough underwater monsters. What the script really could do is to stop before the boss fight, and let the player remove those buffs.

Theraze

It's true that whatever works for you is perfectly reasonable for you. And since it's in SVN, feel free to add it to your copy.

Personally I just don't over-muscle to the point where it fails, but... that's me.

Can you change this message?

It said I was ready for the boss, but when I look in my session information I visited the Gymnasium 60+ times but not a single adventure in the Colosseum. I had only 1 adventure left at the time, so got all buffed up for the boss fight...and then it said "The guards at the temple cross their spears in front of the door. Looks like you've gotta be somebody special to get in there.
At least they didn't stab you." when I tried to fight the boss.

Code:
Visit to The Sea: Mer-kin Gymnasium in progress...

[968] Mer-kin Gymnasium
Encounter: Mer-kin juicer
Round 0: chef_rannos loses initiative!
Round 1: Hungry Hungry Squidite produces a tubular red firecracker labeled M-44, lights the long fuse, and tosses it behind your opponent.
ATT: 690 (3.93% × 12.62, death in 535)
DEF: 500 (95.45% × 282.79, win in 3)
HP: 809, Value: 2,392.5 μ, RES: 0
WHAM: Monster HP is 809.0.
WHAM: Running SmartStasis
Profit per round: ActionProfitDamageOtherbase; Squamous Gibberer (0μ)0μ--34.5% stun chance
Round 1: chef_rannos executes a macro!
Round 1: chef_rannos attacks!
Round 2: mer-kin juicer takes 474 damage.
Round 2: Hungry Hungry Squidite glides silently toward your opponent and wraps his scaly tentacles around him, preventing him from attacking you.
Round 2: chef_rannos attacks!
Round 3: mer-kin juicer takes 394 damage.
Round 3: chef_rannos wins the fight!
After Battle: Hungry Hungry Squidite lights a miniature Catherine wheel and dances in the shower of sparks. How cute!
You gain 5 hit points
You gain 4 Mojo Points
You gain 31 Meat, but the rest sinks into the murky depths.
You gain 37 Fortitude
You gain 41 Magicalness
You gain 104 Sarcasm
WHAM: SS has finished the fight. Aborting script execution. 

Time for the boss fight! Make sure you remove any sources of elemental damage first.
Requests complete.

Theraze

Because that's where it goes after
Code:
				while (my_adventures() > 1 && COLOSSEUM_ROUND < 15)
finishes.

Which is to say, I'll probably fix it. Eventually. But if you aren't just brain-dead automating, it doesn't hurt you in the slightest.