Make.meat.fast

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
KOL Mafia's menus and preferences setup is truly some of the worst among all the weird software I've ever used or made myself.

I obviously didn't put it as a Feature Request because I'm not requesting any program features. I don't want Mafia to change its interface at all.

Whatever. I hope being satisfied with the worst continues to work for you in other aspects of your life.

Lokathor

So if I don't personally think it's a good design and I demand that it be changed to better suit me despite thousands of others that use it fine, then I'm obviously a jerk.

However, if I don't personally think it's a good design, but I recognize that it works for thousands of others and don't even ask for any changes because I don't want to disrupt their own experiences, then I'm still some sort of crazy person.

That's pretty uncool I think.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The Preferences window has been changed fairly recently to be better organized. If you have serious suggestions about how things can be changed to make it more usable, they won't be immediately dismissed (not that they would be immediately enacted, but they would likely at least be considered).

If the feedback is simply that all programs with lots of configurable options suck and are hopelessly bad, then the negative language especially accompanied by a lack of constructive feedback won't be taken well.

Crowther

So if I don't personally think it's a good design and I demand that it be changed to better suit me despite thousands of others that use it fine, then I'm obviously a jerk.

However, if I don't personally think it's a good design, but I recognize that it works for thousands of others and don't even ask for any changes because I don't want to disrupt their own experiences, then I'm still some sort of crazy person.

That's pretty uncool I think.
Dude, you didn't just say it wasn't a good design. You were highly insulting. Verocity can be bit thin skinned at times, but this isn't one of them, take responsibility for what you wrote. Fake apologies suck.

Lokathor

The Preferences window has been changed fairly recently to be better organized. If you have serious suggestions about how things can be changed to make it more usable, they won't be immediately dismissed (not that they would be immediately enacted, but they would likely at least be considered).

If the feedback is simply that all programs with lots of configurable options suck and are hopelessly bad, then the negative language especially accompanied by a lack of constructive feedback won't be taken well.

Sweet, I love when OSS is able to keep on chugging over the years. Gives me hope for the future in an otherwise very cynical world.

But I don't think that having a large number of options and preferences is an inherently intractable problem. I use many programs with lots of detailed preferences that are fine. Eclipse, particularly, I use all the time, and it's got automated systems and extensions and they all have tons of preferences and windows and views, and it provides a pretty good way of handling it all. I think that it might be the next closest program to Mafia in terms of trying to provide the user with a way to interact with something that doesn't have only one good way to interact with it; unlike, say, BitTorrent, which has many options, most of which you never use ever, and the average user interaction is that you watch the download meter just fill up without the program ever halting and asking you what to do next.

And I would love to have a complete back and forth discussion with you about that LostCalPolyDude, I think you're cool, but I think we can agree that this thread is not the place to have that out, because this thread is for Q and A about the "Make.meat.fast" script, and we should stay topical when possible. So, PMs or another thread or whatever if you want.

starkid

Has anyone else noticed that the calculations for item and meat drops are off? For instance:

Code:
MEAT: base drop is 100 meat with a modifier of 676% and familiar bonus of 75 results in a drop of 851 meat.

My meat drop modifier is 572.37. The calculation should be 100*6.7237 + 75 = 747.37

Winterbay

The displayed modifier is with 100 already taken off so the script did the calculation with 7.76 as the multiplicative factor (so 100*7.76 + 75 = 851). It is also a speculative meatdrop modifier meaning that your current dropbonus is not really interesting, but rather what the script thought you would have with the current speculative option which may explain some difference as well. As would you possibly being a DB with access to the rave skills because currently the script assumes that Disco Inferno and similar will be cast if available.

starkid

Oh der, I always forget about the combos. I'm a moron. I'm going to assume the rest of the difference was from my snowsuit, which I also forgot to factor in since it already disintegrated on me today.

I just pulled an updated version of the script: I see you took out disco combos, but I'm not seeing the +30% item drops from disco momentum?

Also, if you already have wasabi sinuses active when you run the script, does it re-apply the effect when calculating the bonuses?

Winterbay

I removed the faulty ones since that was the quickest fix. I'll look into getting a better one later.

That said, anything you have on when you run the script will be included in the calculations. The script does speculative maximizer-calls and I don't think that will apply the bonus a second time, but I'm also not sure if it will decide that using the wasabi sinuses later on since there is no difference between "current" and "with wasabi" so "current" is the best since we don't have to spend meat on wasabi.

I'm very new to KoLMafia. Is there a way for this script to auto choose an adventure option? If so, how? Also/Or, is there a way to continue the script after it prompts you to go to the relay browser to make a non-combat choice is there a way to continue the script from there without starting the whole script over? Thanks in advance!

Winterbay

By adventure-option do you mean choice adventure option? If so the way to do it is to go to the Mafia interface and under the adventure tab go to the choice adventure tab and set up the choices for different areas where it currently says "Show in browser" to something else.

I should probably get the script to abort and restart gracefully. I'll have to think about that.

Winterbay

It can take a looooong while if you have lots of items and combos that affect item and meat drops. I've never had that problem but a friend of mine constantly complains about it... :)

I put in the code from the first page, but I refreshed and there doesn't seem to be a script to run? I'm not quite sure how this works.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I put in the code from the first page, but I refreshed and there doesn't seem to be a script to run? I'm not quite sure how this works.

What do you mean? What do you need to know?

"Putting in the code" is ambiguous. Do you mean you executed the command "svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/winterbay-mafia/farm/code/" in the Graphical CLI? If so did you see any messages about SVN and updating? If the SVN process worked as expected there should be a (script) file named farm.ash in your scripts directory. Run it. This is a script and not a relay override so one way to run it is to select it from the scripts menu. Refresh should be irrelevant, whether you refreshed the browser or your inventory or any of the other things that could be refreshed.

And when you do get it to run be prepared to have it take a long time to figure out that lil' kitty is still the best monster :)

Crowther

Mine generally go and farm varying areas of the sea and today then went on to the Hidden Park to hunt Boaraffes :)
It varies a lot depending on the character. On a poor character I usually see the hidden park. On a well off character I see the haunted library most often (or the thugnderdome when I forgot to fix clockwork key drops). So, I can now conclude that Winterbay is poor.

Winterbay

Well, it is a never-ascended DB so has a distinct lack of skills and it's also hasn't bothered that much with iotms. It has roughly 40M in the closet though :)

Theraze

What's wrong with the clockwork key drops? Does mafia have wrong info or... do you just avoid those due to unpopularity of the item?