Winterbay's Helpful Automatic Monsterbasher (WHAM)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
AT with many skills against School of Many. WHAM aborts because it can't figure out a strategy. The WHAM list begins with:
WHAM: Unable to determine a valid combat strategy. For your benefit here are the numbers for your combat options.
WHAM: Lunging Thrust-Smack: 879.38 potential damage (raw damage: 879.38) and a hitchance of 100.00%.

but in practice (i.e. manual combat after it stops)

Round 8: cafebabe casts LUNGING THRUST-SMACK!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 9 but KoL thinks it is round 8
Round 9: school of many takes 720 damage.
Round 9: cafebabe casts LUNGING THRUST-SMACK!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 10 but KoL thinks it is round 9
Round 10: school of many takes 725 damage.

In other words WHAM seems to be over estimating LTS by about 100 points of damage. Is there a known "not going to fix" reason for this or is there data that needs to be adjusted, corrected or spaded?

xKiv

In other words WHAM seems to be over estimating LTS by about 100 points of damage. Is there a known "not going to fix" reason for this or is there data that needs to be adjusted, corrected or spaded?

Hmm. How much ML were you running for that?
Does wham (batbrain?) know that +ML now gives monster resistance to all damage (I think it's "at 25: damage resistance, ramps up to 50% at 50ml"; I don't know where I got that from, but it's in my notes-from-forums from 15th may).

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Hmm. How much ML were you running for that?
Does wham (batbrain?) know that +ML now gives monster resistance to all damage (I think it's "at 25: damage resistance, ramps up to 50% at 50ml"; I don't know where I got that from, but it's in my notes-from-forums from 15th may).

Character just ascended so I can't put on the outfit to check easily but the session log makes me think ML was closer to +20 than zero.

Magus_Prime

For what it's worth WHAM has never been able to handle School of Many for me. After poking at it for a while I added a conditional CCS action for it. I thought I'd reported it in this thread but, after searching, seems that I did not. Sorry about that.

Mine Crabs and School of Many are the only Undersea encounters that WHAM has had difficulty with for me.

Winterbay

I tried adding special handling for the Mine Crab to WHAM but was foiled by batbrain not realising that compounding damage also was a bad idea (i.e. using several things in a row that together gave a passive damage of above the limit for explosion). So I set up my own for that single one. WHich then started failing when I got the skill that made combat items slightly better which was really annoying :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
WHAM isn't doing so well against Elizabeth Spookyraven. It whacked her with a weapon that was unlikely to finish the job in 30 rounds instead of two shotting her with a spell. I presume a BatBrain update is what is called for?

Crowther

WHAM isn't doing so well against Elizabeth Spookyraven. It whacked her with a weapon that was unlikely to finish the job in 30 rounds instead of two shotting her with a spell. I presume a BatBrain update is what is called for?
Unlikely. I see her stats have been entered into mafia's monster.txt, which is needed if you don't have a monster manual. Best I can tell, that part is done right. Being a ghost she has 100% physical resistance. Batbrain doesn't know that, because no one has added her to batfactors.txt. Stephen is immune to stagger and stuns, which hasn't been entered their either.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Unlikely. I see her stats have been entered into mafia's monster.txt, which is needed if you don't have a monster manual. Best I can tell, that part is done right. Being a ghost she has 100% physical resistance. Batbrain doesn't know that, because no one has added her to batfactors.txt. Stephen is immune to stagger and stuns, which hasn't been entered their either.

Did you really mean Unlikely? I understand your comment to mean that batfactors needs to be updated with the two ghosts. I am sloppy and adjusting the script BatBrain and adjusting batfactors.txt are effectively the same for me because they are both part of the infrastructure I am willing and hoping someone else will maintain. Character did have a monster manuel, BTW. Perhaps that does point a finger elsewhere? Thank you.

Crowther

There is a big difference between BatBrain and batfactors. Anyone can edit batfactors (I understand if you don't want to). Only zarqon (who's on sabbatical) can update BatBrain. So I think it's that's a pretty significant difference. I don't expect people to know what goes in each. It was just an honest answer to your question. When started typing, I wasn't sure where the problem was. I'm still not sure things are fixed, but it seems likely. We are certainly closer than before. I lost to Stephen due to WHAM not knowing he was immune to all staggers and stuns.

Anyway, I didn't have the time to make those edits when I wrote it, but found time when I got home from work.

Crowther

Double post!
So, after two weeks and many fights with the two Lights Out bosses, it seems to me that problem was fixed by my additions to batfactors.

Huh...any ideas why it couldn't figure out that attack and attack would win? I did have corroded weapon and confused, but it said win in 3 in it's prediction. It predicted a great hit chance and lots of damage with attack too.

Code:
[401] The Dungeons of Doom
Encounter: Quantum Mechanic
Round 0: chef_rannos wins initiative!
Base round: damage, player damage, 0 meat
ATT: 223 (6% × 15.11, death in 272)
DEF: 210 (95.45% × 100.9 (5), win in 3)
HP: 242, Value: 1,914.65 μ, RES: 0
WHAM: Monster HP is 242.0.
WHAM: Running SmartStasis
Profit per round: ActionProfitDamageOtherbase (0μ)0μ--
1/7 monsters drop goals here.
Round 1: chef_rannos executes a macro!
Round 1: chef_rannos tries to steal an item!
You acquire an item: vorpal blade
You gain 27 Meat.
You snatched a vorpal blade (100μ)!
Revised monster value: 1,737.06
WHAM: Starting evaluation and performing of attack
Auto-funk: merging 'use 353' and 'use 5642'.
Auto-funk: merging 'use 2493' and 'use 747'.
Auto-funk: merging 'use 747' and 'use 2091'.
WHAM: Unable to delevel until you can kill the monster without it killing you. Try it yourself.
WHAM: Unable to determine a valid combat strategy. For your benefit here are the numbers for your combat options.
WHAM: Attack with your weapon: 105.38 potential damage (raw damage: 105.38) and a hitchance of 95.45%.
WHAM: Cadenza: 32.50 potential damage (raw damage: 32.50) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: Sing: 2.50 potential damage (raw damage: 2.50) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: The Big Book of Pirate Insults: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: spider web: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: anti-anti-antidote: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: wussiness potion: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: cast: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: gob of wet hair: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: magical mystery juice: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: Tom's of the Spanish Main Toothpaste: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: handful of sawdust: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: inkwell: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: 8-ball: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: fancy bath salts: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: disease: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: bottle of Monsieur Bubble: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: soggy used band-aid: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: tattered scrap of paper: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: disposable instant camera: 0.00 potential damage (raw damage: 0.00) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
WHAM: You now have the knowledge needed to go forward and be victorious
Round 2: chef_rannos executes a macro!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 3 but KoL thinks it is round 2
WHAM: Unable to figure out a combat strategy. Helpful information regarding your skills have been printed to the CLI
You're on your own, partner.
Click here to continue in the relay browser.

Round 3: chef_rannos attacks!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 4 but KoL thinks it is round 3
Round 4: Quantum Mechanic takes 151 damage.
Round 4: chef_rannos attacks!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 5 but KoL thinks it is round 4
Round 5: Quantum Mechanic takes 156 damage.
Round 5: chef_rannos wins the fight!
After Battle: Items does a little fairy dance.
You acquire an item: large box
You gain 14 Strongness
You gain 8 Enchantedness
You gain 39 Cheek

Winterbay

Because it's a quantum mechanic and the script will be very helpful and try to avoid hitting that one in case it gives you teleportitis so it tried your non-melee skills and failed to find a way to kill it...

Bale

Minion
HuH? Did you confuse Quantum Mechanics with Procrastination Giants? That doesn't match my memory so I checked the wiki I cannot find anything there about QMs being able to give you teleportitis if you hit them. Is the wiki wrong also?

If a QM hits you, you have a 20% chance of getting teleportitis, not the reverse.

Winterbay

Ehh.. yes. I may have done that. But having looked at the code I can safely say that the comment I made still stands. The script will avoid attacking when facing a monster containing the word "quantum". Whether or not this is correct behaviour I'm not sure but that's what's coded atm :)

Bale

Minion
A better behavior would be to try to kill the QM in a single hit if possible, even if it is a bit less meat-positive, to prevent getting hit by it -- which actually might cause teleportitis.

At least that is my recommendation for improving the script.

Crowther

A better behavior would be to try to kill the QM in a single hit if possible, even if it is a bit less meat-positive, to prevent getting hit by it -- which actually might cause teleportitis.

At least that is my recommendation for improving the script.
Significantly increasing the cost per round would do this. Increasing it in relation to the chance of getting hit would be best, but just increasing it drastically would be good enough. With criticals, there's always a chance to be hit.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
So wham wanted to use the short calculator and then a bunch of saucegeysers. Made sense except that when it was executed it kept trying to use the calculator and never cast the spells. I figure that is because the calculator's effect is conditional. But I'd rather it not happen. Do I just make sure the calculator is not available or is this a FR for wham or Batbrain? Thanks.

Crowther

So wham wanted to use the short calculator and then a bunch of saucegeysers. Made sense except that when it was executed it kept trying to use the calculator and never cast the spells. I figure that is because the calculator's effect is conditional. But I'd rather it not happen. Do I just make sure the calculator is not available or is this a FR for wham or Batbrain? Thanks.
I saw them listed during an abort. Mine are never used, because I have noitemsplease set to true. I tried a few, because they are cheap and I was curious. I'd say that the current batfactors forumula (monsterhp*0.3) is a significant over estimate. I believe adjusting that would mostly fix the problem you're having.

EDIT: Thanks, lost.

Last edited: