New Content - Rejected What about KoL timers?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 9604 adds them to statuseffects.txt and, since they are shruggable from the charsheet, adds "Cancel" links to the charpane in the Relay Browser.

We do not pick up the customized name from the charpane; they simply appear in the effect list as Timer 1 ... Timer 10 - KoL's internal name for the "effect".

I wonder if we should pick up the effect name and integrate them with KoLmafia counters, so that we'll stop automation when one expires, a counterScript can do something with them, or whatever. Probably. That sounds like a good "learning project". :)

Terion

For the moment at least (I sent in a bug report about it, in game) they count as buffs as far as determining the power of Ultracolor shirts, and I'd expect also for things like PvP Purity tests and Ol' Scratch's debuffing threshold.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I wonder if we should pick up the effect name and integrate them with KoLmafia counters, so that we'll stop automation when one expires, a counterScript can do something with them, or whatever. Probably.
I was hoping that people who write or use counterScripts might be interested in chiming in on this. Apparently not. Should I just mark this "Implemented"?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
No response after 16 days. I conclude that counterScript authors and/or users are not interested in integrating KoL timers with KoLmafia counters.

Marking "Implemented".

Bale

Minion
Thanks. I'm not terribly interested in taking on the project. Despite having written CounterChecker, it isn't really my thing.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
This would have been KoLmafia support - detecting KoL timers on the charpane, perhaps or when you set them via chat, and interpolating them into the list of KoLmafia counters - not something you needed to do. I doubt it would have required a lick of work on your part. The question was whether any KoLmafia users also use KoL timers or not. The answer is, apparently, "not".

Edit: to clarify, I wanted to find out a few things:

1) Would it be useful to automatically turn KoL timers into KoLmafia counters?
2) If so, should they be informational counters or hard stops? (How does KoL treat them?)
3) If the answer to the above is "it depends", is there any way we could automatically make that decision?

Since the answer to #1 is "no", the rest of the questions are moot. :)

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
I don't use KoL timers. There's no need since mafia counters do the same job.

Despite this, it would probably be an improvement if mafia created KoL timers instead of its own counters and then popped up warning screens for timers as it currently does for counters. The improvement would be experienced by people who switch machines without retaining preferences or people who sometimes play outside of mafia. I am not one of those people so it won't help me at all.

AlbinoRhino

I normally use KoL timers when the mafia counter will expire silently, as the KoL timer will pop an alert box when there is 1 turn left. I always do this for the shore counter and, until recently, I always did this for the semirare window start counter.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I normally use KoL timers when the mafia counter will expire silently, as the KoL timer will pop an alert box when there is 1 turn left. I always do this for the shore counter and, until recently, I always did this for the semirare window start counter.
Now see, I wish you had spoken up about this the (several) times I asked about this earlier.

It sounds to me like a KoL timer is a "hard" timer rather than an informational timer. You say it expires when there is 1 turn left? So, if the fortune cookie says "150" and you set a timer for "150", it expires after 149? In other words, before you take turn #150.

It does sound like we could merge "hard" KoLmafia counters into KoL timers (assuming the user hasn't used them all up) (assuming we could associate our own names, and hopefully icons, with a particular timer). Conversely it seems like we could turn KoL timers into "hard" KoLmafia counters and let counter scripts react exactly as they do for KoLmafia-generated counters.

I'll reopen this for further consideration.

AlbinoRhino

Now see, I wish you had spoken up about this the (several) times I asked about this earlier.

It sounds to me like a KoL timer is a "hard" timer rather than an informational timer. You say it expires when there is 1 turn left? So, if the fortune cookie says "150" and you set a timer for "150", it expires after 149? In other words, before you take turn #150.

It does sound like we could merge "hard" KoLmafia counters into KoL timers (assuming the user hasn't used them all up) (assuming we could associate our own names, and hopefully icons, with a particular timer). Conversely it seems like we could turn KoL timers into "hard" KoLmafia counters and let counter scripts react exactly as they do for KoLmafia-generated counters.

I'll reopen this for further consideration.

My apologies, I guess this thread never caught my attention before.

You get an alert box with the message, "You have a timer which will expire in one turn" (not sure of the exact wording at the moment) and you can click "OK" to continue with the adventure you were about to make or click "cancel" to not do so. So, for instance, if it was a timer set to the same number as the SR window start, I would normally choose OK, complete the combat or whatever I was about to attempt, and at the end of that turn, the mafia SR start counter would then stand at "0". Personally I prefer the way mafia provides an interstitial page (or hard stop) when a counter expires rather than the alert boxes for the timers, which is why I only use the timers in cases where mafia doesn't provide the extra page for making a counter decision.

I can see Bale's reasoning in that making the counters into KoL timers would make them independent of playing with mafia, and I guess (?) that the mafia counter decision pages (or hard stops) could still be provided either way, so that would probably be the best implementation. I don't use a counter script so I really have no idea how that affects things. I think the timers are limited to 10, but I don't think I have personally ever seen that many mafia counters active at once. But I also don't know what other uses for which people may be employing timers that aren't part of mafia's counter system.

Bale

Minion
I think that it is time we officially reject this as a possible feature.

ma4lM.jpg

Timers can be shrugged by a black cat, decremented by PvP fighting and probably messed with in other ways that will render them useless. They are a poor substitute for Mafia's counters. Sadly.