New Content - Implemented West of Loathing - 2016 Spring Challenge!

Magus_Prime

The effect from the Cow Puncher skill "Walk: Cautious Prowl" is still unknown in r16717:

Code:
cast 1 Walk: Cautious Prowl
--------------------
2077	Cautious Prowl	walkprowl.gif	ed11574c3313265d7ec71d95b73ec223
Effect	Cautious Prowl	Item Drop: +50
--------------------
You acquire an effect: Cautious Prowl (20)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
They were added in revision 16707 on Tuesday. What revision are you running?

Edit:

# Effect Patent Aggression: Makes you significantly more attractive to monsters
# Effect Patent Invisiblity: Makes you significantly less attractive to monsters

Yeah. the word "significantly" means different things for different status effects. So, until how much +/- combat these provide is spaded, there is nothing we can say about those effects.

Code:
Effect	Patent Alacrity	Initiative: +100
Effect	Patent Avarice	Meat Drop: +50
Effect	Patent Prevention	Hot Resistance: +3, Cold Resistance: +3, Stench Resistance: +3, Spooky Resistance: +3, Sleaze Resistance: +3
Effect	Patent Sallowness	Monster Level: +30
The others should be there, though.

Last edited:
Code:
// Just in case someone assumed that use_skill would also work
// in combat, go ahead and allow it here.
Apparently you "assumed" that use_skill is how to cast a combat skill during a fight. :)
[...]
Edit: not that I actually see another way to use a combat skill, so, whatever.
Wait... What? Am I scripting fights in some completely weird, nonstandard way? use_skill() is how I've always used skills in fights... The In-combat Consulting wiki page even lists it... What am I missing?

I feel insane, like someone just said, "Hang on, you wear your pants on your legs?!"

Im running 16717 when i used the -combat and +combat patent potions mafia did not change my -combat/+combat in the gui. Im out of turns so I will check again tomorrow

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Code:
# Effect Lion in Ambush: Makes you significantly more attractive to monsters
# Effect Patent Invisiblity: Makes you significantly less attractive to monsters
These are all 15% in the corresponding direction.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Wait... What? Am I scripting fights in some completely weird, nonstandard way? use_skill() is how I've always used skills in fights... The In-combat Consulting wiki page even lists it... What am I missing?
Near as I can tell, you are scripting them in the only currently available way.

That was holatuwol's comment. Perhaps there was a different way to do it, back when consult scripts were first implemented it, but as of today, that comment seems superfluous. Or, could be phrased less provocatively, at least. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Code:
# Effect Lion in Ambush: Makes you significantly more attractive to monsters
These are all 15% in the corresponding direction.
Thanks. For the record:

Coffeesphere (+15): Monsters are significantly more attracted to you
Chocolatesphere (-15): Monsters are significantly less attracted to you
Unmuffled (+15): Monsters will be significantly more attracted to you
Muffled (-15): Monsters will be significantly less attracted to you
Brooding (-10): Monsters will be significantly less attracted to you
Ashen (-10): Monsters will be significantly less attracted to you

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Also,
Predjudicetidigitation (-10): You are much less attracted to monsters
Everything Must Go! (+10): You are much more attracted to monsters (so you can destroy them)

KoL just isn't very consistent with these, but fortunately there is a straightforward way to determine these numbers (assuming multiples of 5) -- the Airship noncombat has an option whose text is affected by +/- combat.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
KoL just isn't very consistent with these, but fortunately there is a straightforward way to determine these numbers (assuming multiples of 5) -- the Airship noncombat has an option whose text is affected by +/- combat.
Really? Wow!

Yeah, we like to automatically generate the modifier entries for new effects, and we can handle multiple wordings resulting in the same modifier value, but when the identical wording can refer to different values, as my examples showed, we have to wait for it to be spaded.

Theraze

My combat_skill alias is:
combat_skill => ashq buffer dump = visit_url("fight.php?action=macro&macrotext=skill " + to_int(to_skill($string[%%])))
But I'm sure there are other better ways to do similar. But that's one way of accomplishing it in a script.

Bale

Minion
Near as I can tell, you are scripting them in the only currently available way.

That was holatuwol's comment. Perhaps there was a different way to do it, back when consult scripts were first implemented it, but as of today, that comment seems superfluous. Or, could be phrased less provocatively, at least. :)

I think he was referring to the difference between the one parameter version and the two parameter version. I think that code is making it work if an integer is added for number of casts even though it isn't supposed to be there. However I could well be wrong.

digitrev

Not sure if anyone's posted this, but there are several new concoctions.

All of these are made by cooking:
  • eldritch oil + unusual oil = patent alacrity tonic
  • eldritch oil + skin oil = patent sallowness tonic
  • eldritch oil + snake oil = patent invisibility tonic
  • unusual oil + skin oil = patent avarice tonic
  • unusual oil + snake oil = patent aggression tonic
  • skin oil + snake oil = patent preventative tonic
Source

digitrev

The briefcase full of snakes tracks medicine and venom levels. Good Medicine, Bad Medicine depend on Medicine, and Snakewhip depends on Venom. Can these be tracked via a user preference? Using a snake oil increments them by 3 each, and winning a fight against a snake will show a +n Venom/Medicine line at the end of combat.

digitrev

Sorry for triple posting. As of r16724

Unknown item found: briefcase full of snakes (8958, 153699809)
Code:
--------------------
8958	briefcase full of snakes	153699809	briefcase.gif	none	q	0
# Item briefcase full of snakes
--------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

digitrev

Quadruple post - Beancannon requires a can of beans to be held in the offhand. Using it destroys the can of beans.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
We should notice when your hat grows. I've noticed that it doesn't happen automatically when you gain a level; today I hit level 11 when I used the chest of the Bonerdagon but my hat didn't grow to be 11 gallons until I defeated the next monster in the Black Forest - gaining a level, talking to the council, and getting the initial noncombat in the Black Forest didn't do it.

I don't know if it grows if you lose a combat. I try to avoid doing that. :)