The latest Daily Build

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The way it was before, in a given round, we'd log it like this:

1) Your attack
2) Any familiar actions
3) All the damage done to the monster from any source, summed up and totalled
4) Any meat, items, HP, MP, substats, etc. gained that round (any of which can come before the battle is done, including if you win).

I want to see things in the same order KoL shows them

- If you do damage to the monster from multiple sources - weapon, shieldbutt, familiar, passive - let's see what each source contributed.
- If you get meat or substats or HP or MP from a familiar, let's see it right after the familiar action, rather than at the end, where it is unclear where it came from.
- If you get items in the middle - pickpocket, familiar, whatever - let's see the action that got them.

In addition to having much more revealing logging, specific problems that can solved - better, or at all - if we can do this include:

- Meat from items and familiars while retrieving meat for the nuns
- fighting with a haiku katana tells the damage (in html) twice.
- logging familiar actions that KoL doesn't tag "correctly" - fuzzy dice, for example.

In order to do this, I needed an HTML parser: some way to take the fight page and put it into a data structure that I could walk and operate on. KoL's HTML, like that of many, many sites, is messy and malformed. Browsers are able to take messy HTML and supply missing tags, reorder misplaced tags, and so on, and render something sensible. (By reorder, consider this: the HTML SHOULD have <font><b>text</b></font>, say, but it's actually written as <font><b>text</font></b>. That is Real Common.)

I selected an open source HTML parser which got good reviews for being able to cope with and rationalize anything, is relatively small and fast, and which has the Berkeley license (like KoLmafia itself), rather than being infected with the GPL.

Because I am doing this, KoLmafia is temporarily in another period of instability. You are always welcome to not upgrade to the latest revision, if you wish to avoid this.

Satisfied? Both this note and your other one after a revision failed to build correctly for some people seemed a little confrontational to me. Do you think I change things for the sake of changing them?

Edit: My apologies, I have just noticed that someone has already posted this bug. Please feel free to ignore me.

The recent changes do seem to be interfering with meat detection at the nuns. According to the log, Mafia sees that I receive the meat, but my experience was that the handy how-much-you've-collected-so-far message always said I had collected 0 meat so far. I suppose that re-evaluating this might have to wait until you fight the nuns yourself.
In the hope that it will be helpful, I include this sample combat from my log (note that this also had the don't-count-elemental-damage issue, which I see has been fixed, so I was dealing 15 stench per kneebutt that isn't visible here):
Code:
[1412] Themthar Hills
Encounter: dirty thieving brigand
Round 0: aqualectrix loses initiative!
You lose 33 hit points.
Round 2: aqualectrix casts KNEEBUTT!
Round 2: dirty thieving brigand takes 17 damage.
Round 3: aqualectrix casts KNEEBUTT!
Round 3: dirty thieving brigand takes 18 damage.
You lose 37 hit points.
Round 4: aqualectrix casts KNEEBUTT!
Round 4: dirty thieving brigand takes 28 damage.
Round 5: aqualectrix casts KNEEBUTT!
Round 5: dirty thieving brigand takes 25 damage.
Round 5: Mr. Tophat winks at you.
You gain 4287 Meat
You gain 13 Strongness
You gain 14 Wizardliness
You gain 12 Roguishness
If you would prefer a separate bug report or more of the log I will do the best I can.

(In my opinion, "commit often" is hardly a poor philosophy, and we have perhaps been spoiled by the very high quality of the Mafia commits. However, since we always have a previous version to fall back on -- and you even warned us that these changes would break things for a while -- there's nothing at all to complain about. It's often necessary to "break" things in order to make them better, and I think we mostly understand that; I like to think that Bale was merely seeking more information about how the new way would be better.)

Bale

Minion
Because I am doing this, KoLmafia is temporarily in another period of instability. You are always welcome to not upgrade to the latest revision, if you wish to avoid this.

Satisfied? Both this note and your other one after a revision failed to build correctly for some people seemed a little confrontational to me. Do you think I change things for the sake of changing them?

I was wondering about the purpose. I wish you didn't read more into it than that. I really wish you didn't read me that way. I can't see anything in my post that seems at all sarcastic or accusatory, so there was no need for a winking smilie to clue you into my lack of ill intent. I was just curious about the issue that was being combated.

Perhaps in that previous response to which you refer I was being a bit cute in my response, but I didn't mean harm then either. I feel frustrated that you read me this way, but fine, "screw me." I have trouble apologizing for an honest question as I just asked. Thank you for the reply even though it was followed by slapping me down.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The Nun Meat problem is a perfect example of something I could not solve perfectly before - but Revision 8113 solves it, once and for all.

There is an HTML comment that KoL puts into the fight text that says "you won". Everything prior to that comment happened during the battle. Everything after that comment happened after the battle.

If we find Meat before that comment, it goes into your purse.
If we find Meat after that comment and we are in The Themthar Hills, the nuns took it.
I just tried this out. On the very last turn in the Hills, I collected the last 136 Meat. With our previous heuristic, we'd say that that was less than the brigands can drop, and therefore had to come from a familiar. However, it correctly handed it off to the nuns.

Bale, I am sorry I pissed you off. I'm feeling stressed, in general, and other areas of my life have lots of people demanding that I "justify" my actions, somehow, and that's how you came across. I accept you did not intend that.

Peace.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I might change it like this:

- First look for squishable items in inventory. Choose the one which is "closest" to your final form and squish that through to completion. (This is the current method)
- If you have none in inventory, look at equipped items. If you have exactly one form (even in multiples - stinky cheese eyes?) - unequip one and do the above.
- If you have more than one form equipped, punt.
Revision 8116 does this.

piesquared

I might change it like this:

- First look for squishable items in inventory. Choose the one which is "closest" to your final form and squish that through to completion. (This is the current method)
- If you have none in inventory, look at equipped items. If you have exactly one form (even in multiples - stinky cheese eyes?) - unequip one and do the above.
- If you have more than one form equipped, punt.
Revision 8116 does this.

Thank you!

tripwood

Thanks for all the Nemesis updates everyone and for all your general free time devoted to Mafia!

I was wondering if the second chance to pickpocket using the Bling of the New Wave could be scripted in a CCS as of now. I tried to use it and it doesn't seem to automate it.

linguinelad

won't open

Hi, I've downloaded daily builds 8199 thru 8204.

I always have Windows Task Manager to watch for things and I've noticed that when I do right-click and choose open the dailybuild with java(TM) platform SE binary the javaw.exe shows up on the list in Windows Task Manager like it's supposed to, but then disappears and the daily build doesn't open. What's going on? This happens with dailybuilds for me sometimes, so then I have to use the latest version of Kolmafia (.exe) instead.

If it helps, I have Microsoft Vista and I don't have much running. I have all that useless crap closed like the sidebar and stuff.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

***edit****

just checked my programs to see what the latest Java I have and notice its Java(tm) update 17 installed. I'm going to try downloading version 6 update 18 and hopefully this will fix my problem.

***edit***
ok so I've downloaded and installed and Java version 6 update 18 won't fix the problem. Still can't open build 8204. I'll see if downloading the newest java(TM) platform SE binary will help.

***edit***

so it appears I have the latest version of java platfrorm se binary. idk. this sucks.

Last edited:
I was running Mafia last night and it kept getting stuck in this loop, saying "more restores" were needed and "1 tiny house needed to continue". The first time I was running zargon's macguffin script [which had worked fine earlier that day] and I had to quit out of Mafia to make it stop looping. After that, I was trying to eat/drink for the day and it gave me the same error message [though it *did* eat and drink for me].

using V 13.9 for Mac OSX.

slyz

Developer
Do you have 'auto remove malignant status effects' checked in Preferences -> General? I guess this was Mafia trying to warn you that you were beaten up. And are you sure it was really a loop? Or did it just keep adventuring, getting beaten up and warning you?

I unchecked that box so we'll see if that helps. I am positive this was a loop- first, I just clicked out of the window to log me out [but didn't quit Mafia] and even when the log-in screen came back, it said "Need 1 tiny house to continue". It was the weirdest thing, so I actually had to quit the program completely b/c it wouldn't stop.

I looked in the session log and it looked normal. I had a similar issue today. Was running the macguffin script, it got the Hidden Temple stuff and then this:

Request 8 of 98 (Woods: Hidden Temple) in progress...

[2160] Hidden Temple
Encounter: No Visible Means of Support

Conditions satisfied after 8 adventures.
Hidden city revealed.
You need 1 more Spookyraven ballroom key to continue.
Conditions list cleared.
Condition added: Spookyraven ballroom key
Spookyraven ballroom key

You ran out of restores.

Opening cellar...

You ran out of restores.

THEN I tried to just adventure in the bedroom and make my condition the spectacles. This is what ensued:
Validating adventure sequence...
Condition set: Lord Spookyraven's spectacles
Lord Spookyraven's spectacles
Requests complete.

You ran out of restores.

HP is 322/333. No Negative status effects. I told it to auto-recover health at 30% and try to recover up to 90%. This is my boyfriend's acct I am running for him, and I have NEVER had a problem like this with mine; I just don't know what's going on.

Hi, I've downloaded daily builds 8199 thru 8204.

I always have Windows Task Manager to watch for things and I've noticed that when I do right-click and choose open the dailybuild with java(TM) platform SE binary the javaw.exe shows up on the list in Windows Task Manager like it's supposed to, but then disappears and the daily build doesn't open. What's going on? This happens with dailybuilds for me sometimes, so then I have to use the latest version of Kolmafia (.exe) instead.

If it helps, I have Microsoft Vista and I don't have much running. I have all that useless crap closed like the sidebar and stuff.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

***edit****

just checked my programs to see what the latest Java I have and notice its Java(tm) update 17 installed. I'm going to try downloading version 6 update 18 and hopefully this will fix my problem.

***edit***
ok so I've downloaded and installed and Java version 6 update 18 won't fix the problem. Still can't open build 8204. I'll see if downloading the newest java(TM) platform SE binary will help.

***edit***

so it appears I have the latest version of java platfrorm se binary. idk. this sucks.

At least I know I'm not the only one having this problem. I'm trying a slightly complicated attempt to fix it I'll let you know if it works. edit: No. No it didn't.

Check this thread for everything I've tried and the advice I was offered.

Last edited:

tripwood

I'm having a weird issue since starting the Nemesis quest. Since I started to learn the Rave moves as a DB I can't click on "Outside the club" and other zones, it just keeps loading without anything happening. If I click anywhere else, for example the Goth Girl on the island, it loads right away. The only way I've managed to adventure there was by using the mini-browser. It did it for the filthworms too. No idea why.

xKiv

Does restarting mafia help?

(is the goth girl an adventure.php location? I think I experienced similar symptoms before ... not being able to get to any adventure.php location in relay browser, but able in minibrowser; I eventually connected it to cases when I clicked HP restoration (from relay browser) while mafia was already processing automatically called HP restoration, so I stopped doing that and stopped getting the freezes)