Scripting the birth of a new life.

Bale

Minion
For the Greater-Than Sign, might it be a good idea to set the choiceadv to ‘get teleportitis’?

Absolutely not. I use the relay browser so I don't have set goals that will cause mafia to behave that way. Just like Theraze does. I also have a mood script that changes the setting to teleportitis when I have a plus sign. I believe that zarqon's BestBetweenBattle script will do this also.

illarion

The seal tooth is absolutely essential for serious play. As Ethelred says there are a LOT of reasons to keep the monster alive while you wait for something good to happen, usually a familiar action of some sort. A few times I've started my first turn prepared to red ray my enemy for enough bonus exp to get me to level 2 only to discover that I forgot to acquire my seal tooth and any regular attack would kill the monster. Ugh. So I put the seal tooth into my newLife script to prevent that calamity.
Couple of minor nits. First, no need for the seal tooth if you're a DB or arguably AT (Suckerpunch/Sing do the job).
Second, while I would get the tooth otherwise, I might not want to do it immediately, given early meat shortage.

I don't think it's a problem - but strictly speaking, I don't think it's ideal it being forced.

Theraze

It isn't forced... just turn newLife_SellPorkForStuff to false and you'll never have to worry about it buying a seal tooth again.

Bale

Minion
illarion is definitely right about Suckerpunch. It is stupid to get the seal tooth when you are a Disco Bandit. I'm already aware of that, but I have been forgetting to fix it. I'm gonna fix it now. Thanks for bringing it up, illarion.

I disagree about Sing. 2-3 damage, plus 2-3 damage during successive rounds can be a heck of a lot when you are trying not to kill a fiendish can of asparagus at level 1.

Updated newLife to v1.10.4

• Removed seal tooth for Disco Bandits
  • Some fine tuning for Bugbear Invasion
  • Added softcore pulls to my personal section (and mechanism for same that others might use)

I've been enjoying softcore for Bugbears more than previous paths, so I actually slipped Mr Gear pulls into my personal section. Other people using this script in softcore might be interested in doing the same.

morgad

is it worth changing the line to this ? (untested)
Code:
		boolean sealtooth = item_amount($item[seal tooth]) == 0 && good($item[seal tooth])

&& my_class() != $class[Disco Bandit] && !have_skill($skill[suckerpunch]);

best regards
Dave

Bale

Minion
Updated newLife to v1.10.5

• Basic support for Zombie Slayer path.

Until the path is better spaded this script may not be optimal, but at least it will work.

Winterbay

I found it nice how have_familiar() actually worked just fine without any update even though most familiars are not usable.

Bale

Minion
Updated newLife to v1.10.5

• Add support for Bear Arms: Unpacking them from their box and letting them override shield use.
  • Zombie Masters don't care about mp regen.

Last edited:

Theraze

So... is it really supposed to restore zombies when you reach -.05 zombies in your horde? :)

There so that it never actually reaches the number?

Winterbay

Isn't that what Mafia uses as a number for "do not restore mp"? SO, it makes sense to use the same number for zombies I guess.

Bale

Minion
"-0.5" is indeed the number that mafia uses for "do not restore," either hp or mp. Consequently Universal Recovery uses that number for zombie restoration as well. Note that property is only set if newLife detects that you are using zombie restoration in Universal Recovery.

I turn off zombie restoration completely because UR will throw an error if it has few horde and no skills to restore zombies. Obviously that is always the case at the start of an ascension before you buy skills. I could turn it down to only restore Horde at 0 since you always start off an ascension with 1 Horde, but it seemed more sensible to just turn it off so you can turn it up yourself.

Comments? Approve, Disapprove, or have another idea?

Theraze

Makes sense. Better to rest at the campground over restoring the horde with adventures... Was just confusing as I briefly started scanning through. :)

Bale

Minion
Better to rest at the campground over restoring the horde with adventures.

Heh. Quite. I wish that "Recruit Minion" did not exist as a skill. I will never, ever want to use it, but sometimes its similarity to Summon Minion and Lure Minion might coax me into using it by accident. It is also bad because it could lure a newbie into using it when even newbies should not do so. It just sux.

StDoodle

Minion
Heh. Quite. I wish that "Recruit Minion" did not exist as a skill.

Yeah, made that mistake my first run; simple misclick, didn't read when the page loaded, type-y type-y type-y, then... wait, what? Crap. Thankfully, just four adventures, and I ended up being unable to play for most of a week anyway, so it wasn't the deciding factor in feeling "good" about my run.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
FWIW, I screwed up and cast a +ML buff thinking it would help with brains but it was too much for me to even defeat low level monsters. Recruit Zombie was the best of a number of bad choices to recover from my error. But in the absence of that there does not seem to be much reason to use it.

Donavin69

I don't know if it is a feature that anyone else would like, but I would:

I like to use the CSA Fire starting kit at the start of every day when I have it, but starting a run, I don't have it, so I never use it day 1...I have it set in my prefs to use 'once a day' items, so I need to remember to set the _fireStartingKitUsed=true on Day 1. If you don't want to put it into newlife, if I were to create my own script, and include newlife, would I get all of the wonderful settings that you have in there, or would I have to do something like cli_execute("newlife.ash");?