Scripting the birth of a new life.

Bale

Minion
It already does that. Hence my complete confusion. It should do exactly what your in-ronin breakfast tells it to do.

Last edited:
it isnt. could it be the fact that i have an onLogin also entered that doesn't really do anything? my Automation is set to "Harvest Anything" but it's not when i ascend. I guess I'll just keep harvesting manually or mess with my onLogin to try to get it to actually do something.

roippi

Developer
You may be confused? Breakfast and loginScripts are completely different things. The in/after ronin settings in automation are for breakfast - which NewLife runs after ascending. So just set your in-ronin breakfast to harvest.

Bale does his harvesting in his loginScript because he wants finely-tuned behavior, but letting breakfast harvest for you is fine for 99% of people.

You may be confused? Breakfast and loginScripts are completely different things. The in/after ronin settings in automation are for breakfast - which NewLife runs after ascending. So just set your in-ronin breakfast to harvest.

Bale does his harvesting in his loginScript because he wants finely-tuned behavior, but letting breakfast harvest for you is fine for 99% of people.

no i think i understand. i have my in-ronin set to "harvest anything". i was suggesting that maybe his script was calling onLogin but not the automation stuff. If we're all sure that it is then i'll just accept that it doesnt work for me and try to remember to manually harvest.

Theraze

no i think i understand. i have my in-ronin set to "harvest anything". i was suggesting that maybe his script was calling onLogin but not the automation stuff. If we're all sure that it is then i'll just accept that it doesnt work for me and try to remember to manually harvest.

Code:
void check_breakfast() {
	if(get_property("breakfastCompleted") == "true") return;
	vprint("Time for breakfast.", "blue", 3);
	cli_execute("breakfast");
	string loginScript = get_property("loginScript");
	if(loginScript != "")
		cli_execute(loginScript);
}
Code:
	check_breakfast();
	cli_execute("outfit save Backup");  // Accidently equiping Backup after ascending cases error. No more oops.
	print("Welcome to your new life as a "+myclass+"!", "green");
If you see the welcome message, you HAVE run the breakfast check. The only potential bug/reason why running breakfast manually might work is if mafia has changed to only reset the breakfast flag AFTER running the postAscension script, even though you're no longer in the ascension in which you ran breakfast... which, if it happens, would be a mafia bug. If that is not the case though, as I expect, your system just hates you. :( Which is sad, but there's nothing Bale or any of us can do to fix it.

Code:
void check_breakfast() {
	if(get_property("breakfastCompleted") == "true") return;
	vprint("Time for breakfast.", "blue", 3);
	cli_execute("breakfast");
	string loginScript = get_property("loginScript");
	if(loginScript != "")
		cli_execute(loginScript);
}
Code:
	check_breakfast();
	cli_execute("outfit save Backup");  // Accidently equiping Backup after ascending cases error. No more oops.
	print("Welcome to your new life as a "+myclass+"!", "green");
If you see the welcome message, you HAVE run the breakfast check. The only potential bug/reason why running breakfast manually might work is if mafia has changed to only reset the breakfast flag AFTER running the postAscension script, even though you're no longer in the ascension in which you ran breakfast... which, if it happens, would be a mafia bug. If that is not the case though, as I expect, your system just hates you. :( Which is sad, but there's nothing Bale or any of us can do to fix it.

next time I ascend I'll doublecheck and grab appropriate logging, assuming I can.

Bale

Minion
Thank you. You could also check your session log for the day you last ascended and see what is recorded there. It might also be interesting to copy get harvestGardenHardcore into your gCLI and copy the response here. Maybe things are different from what you think.

Theraze

Another possibility which I just experienced... double-clicking the ascension button will try to run two copies of newLife at the same time, which will fail because you don't have two copies of the equipment to be worn and so on. If you manage to mess things up like that, just run newLife manually again once. :)

bumcheekcity

Bale, could you set it so that if you have all of the Jarlsberg points then it'll just buy all the skills immediately? I bought a couple of buckets and clicking the skills is effort.

I know, first world problems, etc.

Thank you. You could also check your session log for the day you last ascended and see what is recorded there. It might also be interesting to copy get harvestGardenHardcore into your gCLI and copy the response here. Maybe things are different from what you think.

I can only assume user error, but after checking and doublechecking before i ascended to make sure things were set up right, it's working as expected. Will keep an eye out in the future as well, but for the time being lets just assume I was wrong.

Bale

Minion
Bale, could you set it so that if you have all of the Jarlsberg points then it'll just buy all the skills immediately? I bought a couple of buckets and clicking the skills is effort.

Sucks to be you. I'll earn my points the old fashioned way so it'll take me a while to care, but I'll be glad to add this right now if you will help me.

You know your way around a web page, so please help me out by posting the relevant links that I'll need to visit_url(). I assume that some of the values are ranges, so just let me know if they are 1-8 or whatever. I appreciate the help.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Ah, thanks. One of these days (early March, I expect) I will try a Jarlsberg run or fifteen, and I will not buy this item. :)

Bale

Minion
What is a "bucket"?

Last year a vocal minority were all, "It's too hard to do back-to-back Boris runs so that I can get all my skills and compete for a gold star. Whine, whinge, whine." Then a little later a small whiny group was going, "Whine... Once again I don't have the time to get all my Zombie skills for a gold star, whine, whinge, whine..." So, this competition season Jick decided to let those whiners simply purchase Jarlsberg skills from the Mr. Store at a rate of 15 skills per Mr. Accessory. I'd like to say that it has cut down on the amount of noise and drama in G-D, but we all know that G-D doesn't work that way. Now we've got the counter-whinging from people who feel that their own desire to earn their skills means they're being cheated by people who buy them.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I was one of the people that quite literally lost sleep from feeling "forced" to ascend to get boris and zombie skill points to aim for the leaderboards. I could follow Jick's advice and ignore the path. That would certainly lead me to paying less attention to KoL, and KoLmafia, in the process. So I chose to suffer through the grind rather than possibly quit playing KoL.

When I learned about the bucket, I picked one up immediately. Based on how other people are describing their first Jarlsberg ascensions, I'm very glad I did.

Winterbay

day 1 was roughly as my normal day one tend to be. After that I've gained roughly one level per day but have had no trouble killing stuff (apart from the minibosses in the organ-of-steel quest where I needed to level up to get a better skill to kill them with). So, it's slower than a normal run, but then a normal run without skills would be slower as well and it's difficult to know what is the best choices to make. I'm quite enjoying it, but then I'm a spell-caster first and foremost in any game I can be :)

Bale

Minion
I made a lot of bad skill choices on day 1 which I'm still recovering from, so my own run is rather tough, but I'm taking my pleasure from overcoming the obstacles I created. Still, I'm steadily gaining a levels just like you.

I was one of the people that quite literally lost sleep from feeling "forced" to ascend to get boris and zombie skill points to aim for the leaderboards. I could follow Jick's advice and ignore the path. That would certainly lead me to paying less attention to KoL, and KoLmafia, in the process. So I chose to suffer through the grind rather than possibly quit playing KoL.

When I learned about the bucket, I picked one up immediately. Based on how other people are describing their first Jarlsberg ascensions, I'm very glad I did.

Seriously, enjoy your own fun. I was annoyed by the incessant whinging about it, not the viewpoint. I equally dislike the current whinging about the bucket. Personally, I enjoy feeling like a weak fragile little Jarlsberg right now so that I can really enjoy starting off with another 2 skill points next life. I enjoy the sense of progression more than anything else. It's nice that we can both be happy, I only wish that Jick felt the same way about alternate viewpoints so that he didn't have to put an insulting disclaimer on the bucket.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I quit playing for two months after my first Zombie run. I have never cared in the slightest about commendations, but I publicly whined about how it was painfully slow. I was assured that it got faster, but since I actively disliked the "flavor" of the path, having never seen any of the pop culture which it referenced (well, I did "get" Charity as a reference to Faith, since I've seen all of Buffy), it didn't seem worth it. Plus I was burned out on trying to compete in PVP. That was fun for a couple of seasons, but once I got every swagger item I cared about, I quit.

I thought I was done with KoL. But, when Manuel came out, I bought one and decided to grind out the one-per-ascension factoids while doing Zombies. Sure enough, I have gotten fast enough to not be annoyed with the grind any more. I still wince at the "flavor", but I've enjoyed the "getting more and more powerful" aspect of it, just as I did with Boris. This does mean that I completely skipped Class Act, though.

I am looking forward to Jarlsberg. I'll be content to do it like Boris, two skills per HC ascension, but I am glad that you-all are proceeding apace to add in the necessary support to KoLmafia before I get there. Thank you.

The end result is that I did not end up quitting KoL, after that two month period. Is that a good thing? I no longer read anything whatsoever in G-D, and I am sure THAT is a good thing. :)

On the other hand, that means I know nothing at all about how the path works - and I have never tried one of the jars of psychoses, so I have no idea about those, either. I guess I'll either learn via trial and error or I'll see what the Wiki has to say before I do anything.

Last edited:

bumcheekcity

Sucks to be you. I'll earn my points the old fashioned way so it'll take me a while to care, but I'll be glad to add this right now if you will help me.

You know your way around a web page, so please help me out by posting the relevant links that I'll need to visit_url(). I assume that some of the values are ranges, so just let me know if they are 1-8 or whatever. I appreciate the help.

http://127.0.0.1:60080/jarlskills.php?action=getskill&getskid=140ZY

For each z in {0,1,2,3} and Y in {1,...,8}

<3 Maths. It appears to be posted via GET data.