Scripting the birth of a new life.

jwylot

Actually I think that partial matching is screwed in r10936. I posted a bug report just now. Errror was no matches.

jwylot

Aaah, it was a mafia issue and restarting fixed it. Thanks for the 30 Boris skill enhancement by the way - totally saved my mouse :)

zarqon

I actually enjoy clicking the skills, because I love acquiring skills. It feels good. With each click my character improves markedly! I wouldn't want to script that. To each their own! :)

Bale

Minion
Updated newLife to v1.10

• Recognize Bugbear Invasion
  • Workaround for mafia not knowing that Boris's Helm is not a free pull when you aren't in Avatar of Boris

The big change for Bugbear Invasion is to work-around a mafia bug. Well, nothing else jumps out. It's certainly less obviously different than previous paths which limited the use of equipment, autoselling and so forth. Once I've played a bit more of it I'll almost certainly find a reason for another update.

If anyone thinks of anything newLife should do differently for Bugbear Invasion, please chime in.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Thank you!

Updated newLife to v1.10.1

• Removed Boris's Helm workaround because Veracity fixed the bug less than an hour after my previous update.
  • Need to fight Bugbears in the Gallery ir-irregardless of prime stat.

Theraze

Not bugbear specific, but would it make sense to skip the mushroom adventure in the haiku dungeon? When I'm going there, it's usually because I want the bugbear outfit, not because I'm mushroom farming. I've been manually fixing it, but... am I missing some 'optimal' behaviour here?

Bale

Minion
Huh. I have no idea why I did that. Maybe someone else can enlighten me before I change that. Though I've never gone there to get the bugbear outfit so that might have something to do with it...

Maybe it was to get a spooky mushroom for the grue omelet?

Theraze

Not sure... the 'goget' alias says that Haiku is better than Degrassi (when not in a gnoll sign) for getting the outfit though, so if I end up with a meatcar and frilly skirt in my Boris Canadia runs and haven't gotten some part of the bugbears yet, I usually end up spending at least a few adventures down there. :)

stannius

Huh. I have no idea why I did that. Maybe someone else can enlighten me before I change that. Though I've never gone there to get the bugbear outfit so that might have something to do with it...

Maybe it was to get a spooky mushroom for the grue omelet?

I think it was from back in Fist when you had to spend 12 adventures there, and some mushrooms were probably better than the other adventures.

Bale

Minion
I do believe that was the reason! I'll change things for non-Fist runs. Curiously I just found a boat-load of other things I want to improve while browsing through my script.

Updated newLife to v1.10.2

• Won't try to gaffle some mushrooms in the Haiku Dungeon unless you're in a Fist run.
  • Removed preference for newLife_UseNewbieTent since you'll always want to use it.
    If you're in HCN, the delay before using the tent is all you need. I should have removed that preference back when I first added the timer.
  • Break hippy stone in softcore if you set the zlib var newLife_SmashHippyStone TRUE
    PvP is no longer a hardcore optimal thing to do so I removed the in_hardcore() check.
  • Changed my_level() == 1 check to my_turncount() < 1 because that is what it should have always been.

Last edited:

Kamui

Just curious, why exactly does the "Sell pork for stuff" bit try to acquire a seal tooth? I'm racking my brain, and I can't see any reason why I'd get one, so I'm probably just being moronic here, but could you please enlighten me?

Ethelred

Just curious, why exactly does the "Sell pork for stuff" bit try to acquire a seal tooth? I'm racking my brain, and I can't see any reason why I'd get one, so I'm probably just being moronic here, but could you please enlighten me?

A seal tooth is a handy combat item to advance the combat round while you're waiting for something to happen. It does little damage and gives your familiar a chance to act. Some examples are waiting for a he-boulder to switch to the right ray, a hobo monkey to steal meat, a starfish class familiar to recharge your MP, attack familiar to attack, etc.

Last edited:

StDoodle

Minion
  • Removed preference for newLife_UseNewbieTent since you'll always want to use it.

Actually, this wasn't true in Boris; the extra meat from autoselling it toward a crumhorn was a generally-accepted at the high end as a better idea. *shrug*

Bale

Minion
Interesting point. After autoselling 10 flower schnapps (500 meat) and my clay ashtray (200 meat) I never found that 20 meat was a big deal, but I can see the point. Should I put that option back in?

The seal tooth is absolutely essential for serious play. As Ethelred says there are a LOT of reasons to keep the monster alive while you wait for something good to happen, usually a familiar action of some sort. A few times I've started my first turn prepared to red ray my enemy for enough bonus exp to get me to level 2 only to discover that I forgot to acquire my seal tooth and any regular attack would kill the monster. Ugh. So I put the seal tooth into my newLife script to prevent that calamity.

StDoodle

Minion
I would lean toward leaving in the tent setting, not just for those still doing Boris (chances are, the crowd who autosold their tent are probably done with the path), but because it's highly likely that it will be "optimal" again (probably during the other two avatar paths at least, especially post-flowers).

Winterbay

I'd just like to thank you for the awesome abort-message when ascending into a path that the script doesn't know about. Had totally forgotten to download the new version when I ascended from my level 30 Boris-run just now :)

Bale

Minion
I'd just like to thank you for the awesome abort-message when ascending into a path that the script doesn't know about. Had totally forgotten to download the new version when I ascended from my level 30 Boris-run just now :)

Yeah, I think that was one of my better ideas.

Aankhen

For the Greater-Than Sign, might it be a good idea to set the choiceadv to ‘get teleportitis’? If you do that and then set the condition to ‘plus sign, 1 auto-stop’, Mafia first gets the plus sign (because the goals override the choiceadv setting), then gets Teleportitis, and then keeps going until it hits The Oracle Will See You Now, which is an auto-stop.

Theraze

Personally, I like it starting with the plus sign... it makes me not end up with teleportitis when I'm manually adventuring and click Auto without thinking. I'd rather have a wasted plus-sign attempt where I do that twice than extra turns of teleportitis and no plus sign...