New Content - Implemented New path "Actually Ed the Undying"

After the most recent changes to Curse of Vacation, I seem to be having an issue where banishes don't update the banishedMonsters property. I had earlier banished the Procrastination Giant, and then this happened:

Code:
Encounter: senile lihc
Strategy: D:\kolmafia\ccs\Ed.ccs [default]
Round 0: stickyhippo loses initiative!
You lose 5 hit points
You lose 32 hit points
Round 1: stickyhippo executes a macro!
Round 1: stickyhippo casts SUMMON LOVE GNATS!
Round 2: stickyhippo casts SUMMON LOVE SCARABS!
You gain 2 Mana Points
Round 3: stickyhippo casts CURSE OF VACATION!

> ash get_property("banishedMonsters")
Returned: Procrastination Giant:curse of vacation:210

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
So, reading your post, it looks like everything worked properly. Though I'm wondering where "Procrastination Giant banished by curse of vacation." went, it shows up for me.

So, reading your post, it looks like everything worked properly. Though I'm wondering where "Procrastination Giant banished by curse of vacation." went, it shows up for me.

The senile lihc didn't show up in banishedMonsters, even though I banished him immediately before checking the property.

Darzil

Developer
The senile lihc didn't show up in banishedMonsters, even though I banished him immediately before checking the property.
Can you get us the html of the banish message? I haven't got that skill yet, and used the success message from the wiki. Most likely explanation is that it isn't matching "call after him as the vortex disappears" when it fails.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Can you get us the html of the banish message? I haven't got that skill yet, and used the success message from the wiki. Most likely explanation is that it isn't matching "call after him as the vortex disappears" when it fails.

Pronouns need to be left out of the matching text, since they vary by monster.

When uneffecting in aftercore, mafia is initially considering buying and using ancient cure-alls. It shouldn't, since they a) don't exist outside of Ed runs, and b) can't be bought outside of the underworld.
Code:
Leash of Linguini cannot be removed with an available item or skill...
Verifying ingredients for ancient cure-all (1)...
You need 3 more Ka coin to continue.
Using soft green whatever...
Leash of Linguini removed.

Darzil

Developer
If someone gets there before I do (again), looks like the council (Amun) text for finishing Giant Castle quest isn't recognised. Can someone grab the html, please?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
If someone gets there before I do (again), looks like the council (Amun) text for finishing Giant Castle quest isn't recognised. Can someone grab the html, please?
Code:
<p>"Any luck in the Castle in the Sky, boss?" Amun asks.<p>"Well, I found some traces of the adventurer on the Giants' kitchen counter, but it didn't tell me much," you sigh. "Honestly, this is starting to look like a wild goose chase."<p>"Maybe this will cheer you up: one of my agents found this giant plastic fork in the Council Hall basement, and stole it for you."<p>"Uh, okay. Weird. Well, it's the thought that counts, right? Thank him for me."<p>Amun bows. "He will be greatly honored, boss."

I'm not sure where this is tracked under the hood, but the Encounter Listing dropdown is incorrect as Actually Ed. Specifically, it looks like it's incrementing an encounter at the beginning of each fight, even when you're UNDYING! I watched one monster go from 8 to 11 in one fight, since I died twice.

Probably not a huge issue, and I don't know how much work it would be to fix, but if the increment could ignore UNDYING!-returns, that would be more accurate.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'm not sure if it actually IS an "issue".

As Ed, I can get 3 pirate insults or 3 flyers per monster. Used to be, those were "one per encounter". Now, true - damage and deleveling you do to the monster during each fight persists, so they are not quite like brand-new encounters.

I could argue that you actually ARE having 3 encounters with the same monster, separated by sidetrips into the underworld.

You say that the current behavior is "incorrect". I'd be interested in understanding why you believe that. How is the current behavior making your life more difficult? (Or, alternatively, if incrementing the counter just once, regardless of how many trips to the underworld you take, is more "accurate", how would counting it the way you propose improve your life?)

Yeah, fair enough. I very rarely use the Encounter Listing, and I wouldn't have noticed this, except that I was there trying to see how many fights I'd won in the Black Forest to report a bug with tracking that.

I assumed the working definition of an "encounter" had always been "a fight that ended," and since we've never before had a way to end a fight without a win, loss, or run away, this didn't seem to fit the definition.

If we extend the definition to include a fight that transitioned into the Underworld, then sure, the counter's already correct. And perhaps that really is fine, especially since, as you pointed out, there are things that you can do more than once without winning, losing, or running away.

I just wonder whether it fits what most people would expect when they see that counter. Is it ever helpful to know that "I've had the opportunity to post flyers on a black panther twice" vs. "I've actually killed a black panther once"? Or "I've had the opportunity to gain an insult six times" vs. "I've actually killed a pirate four times"? It seems to me that everything else that we care about in fights is already tracked in other ways - flyeredML and lastPirateInsultX, respectively. What unique function is the Encounter Listing serving if it doesn't tell us how many times we've actually fought something?

It's very possible that there are things that I'm not thinking of.