New Content - Implemented New Challenge Path - Avatar of Boris

Theraze

I think Veracity commented somewhere about the... resilience of mafia's buttons not wanting to refresh. From your report, they do the right thing, the message just gives the prior name and it all gets fixed when you relaunch mafia?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
r01684

Character in AoB. Open up relay browser. Navigate to Skills. "Summon Clip Art (2 MP)" appears in the drop down, can be selected, and using the skill does nothing. Desired behavior - don't show skill in dropdown.

Posting even though this may be on the "Not Done Yet" list.

Nevermind - it is also present in plain vanilla KoL. Reporting it there instead.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
KoLmafia does not create the skill dropdown in the Relay Browser, as you discovered.

Yep. I figured leaving the post out there might help someone else remember that.

While I am dining on Humble Pie, I also have to note that the skill does go away if the Show Unusable Skills option is set/changed to False. However, I still feel there is at least room for interpretation since there is no reason that I am aware of to show Clip Art as an unusable skill but not all the skills that became unusable because I selected Avatar of Boris as a path.

Fluxxdog

Clancy's sackbut: HP Regen Min: [C], HP Regen Max: [C*2], MP Regen Min: [C], MP Regen Max: [C*2]
This causes problems with the maximizer as the regen only happens during combats. This FReq was marked rejected mainly because of points 1 and 2 for Ghuol Whelp type familiars.
1. Mafia only keeps track of regen that happens every turn, regardless of combat.
2. All the familiar effects you indicate will only happen on combats, not on non-combats, shoring, crafting turns or other ways of expending turns. Therefore mafia does not include them in the HP/MP regen per turn.
EDIT: It seems Antartic Memories has the same issue, only activating after combat yet:
Code:
> ash numeric_modifier($effect[Antarctic Memories],"hp regen min")

Returned: 40.0

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
This causes problems with the maximizer...
What problems does it cause?

I just took my Axecore character and opened the maximizer Frame. I told it to maximize "HP regen min". It did not tell me to "use Clancy's sackbut" or anything; it only showed me equipment. Even if it had, I'm not seeing how that would have been a "problem", since I could have chosen to use it or not.

What did you do and what happened that was a "problem"?

Fluxxdog

"hp regen min 1 max,-tie" with a Level 8 Clancy (sackbut) returns no suggestions for equipment. I guess the question is "What is the standard?" Is mafia supposed to only track regen that happens 100% (com and non-com) of time?
>If yes, why are Clancy and Antarctic Memories tracked?
>If no, why aren't Ghuol Whelps (and their ilk) tracked?
>>If it's because of sporadic behavior, why is the ring of half-assed regeneration tracked?

I'm just asking for a little clarity. Not trying to cause trouble ^^

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
"hp regen min 1 max,-tie" with a Level 8 Clancy (sackbut) returns no suggestions for equipment.
Clancy's sackbut is not "equipment" as KoL and KoLmafia treat them. It's more like you have three possible minstrels: clancy + sackbut, clancy + crumhorn, and clancy + lute, and you switch among them by "using" an item in inventory. Does the maximizer suggest swapping familiars to improve this or that modifier? If so, this is the equivalent, and clancy should be added to the maximizer. If not, that sounds like a Feature Request. (Note that familiars, too, are essentially "combat only" modifiers.)

I understand your clarity, but I'm still asking you explain why having regen listed for the sackbut "causes problems" with the maximizer. What "problems" does it "cause"?

Winterbay

It would be great if you could call the maximizer with "item, switch clancy's lute" and have it change to the lute. Which I guess is where a "maximize hp regen min, switch ghoul whelp" would probably fail as well if that regen isn't tracked?

Fluxxdog

Clancy's sackbut is not "equipment" as KoL and KoLmafia treat them. It's more like you have three possible minstrels: clancy + sackbut, clancy + crumhorn, and clancy + lute, and you switch among them by "using" an item in inventory. Does the maximizer suggest swapping familiars to improve this or that modifier? If so, this is the equivalent, and clancy should be added to the maximizer. If not, that sounds like a Feature Request. (Note that familiars, too, are essentially "combat only" modifiers.)
The maximizer will suggest familiars marked with the "switch" keyword if they have an impact on the requested modifiers (like a Fairy for +item), but would never consider Ghuol Whelp type familiars because those familiars do not have any HP regen or MP regen associated with them.

I had made a FReq (see here) that mentioned that, but it included Starfish, Mosquito, and Cocoabo type familiars as well. As Bale pointed out, those 3 are really too complex to consider for such a freq, but given how Sackbut Clancy (I'm so calling him that from now on ^^) and the ring of half-assed regeneration area added in, Ghuol Whelps shouldn't be too problematic.
I understand your clarity, but I'm still asking you explain why having regen listed for the sackbut "causes problems" with the maximizer. What "problems" does it "cause"?
The problem comes from the standard. If Sackbut Clancy is on board, the maximizer counts his HP and MP regen towards any totals, even though he's combat only. If you have a ring of half-assed regeneration, it's sporadic but always counts, with its HP regen max adjust to account for only firing 1 out of 3 times. During a non-avatar run, Ghuol Whelp familiars are never considered towards HP or MP regen when explicitly called with "switch" because "Mafia only keeps track of regen that happens every turn, regardless of combat" which conflicts directly with Sackbut Clancy and the ring.

The maximizer ends up being inconsistent because similar situations are handled very differently. Essentially, a Ghuol Whelp could be considered a cross between Sackbut Clancy and a ring of regeneration, but it's never considered to cover HP or MP regen. So if this is a FReq, it's been made already, though with the other 3 in there.

... Sackbut Clancy! Woo!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
r01684

Character in AoB. Open up relay browser. Navigate to Skills. "Summon Clip Art (2 MP)" appears in the drop down, can be selected, and using the skill does nothing. Desired behavior - don't show skill in dropdown.

Posting even though this may be on the "Not Done Yet" list.

Nevermind - it is also present in plain vanilla KoL. Reporting it there instead.

Gemelli said:
Bookshelf skills are special cases. When people lose skills that they donated for, they get excited and anxious. So we take the route of disabling the skills, but not hiding them on the skills menu.

FYI since there is a reason for having things as they are.

nworbetan

There's a workaround I've been using to buy Clancy's Crumhorn for a little while. When I run it, I've already bought a bus pass and can go to the beach and walk into Uncle P's, so it seems like a KoLmafia thing that I'm working around.

Code:
[COLOR=olive]> ash buy(1, $item[clancy's crumhorn]);[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Clancy's crumhorn: you are not yet out of ronin, and are unable to buy this item from a NPC store.[/COLOR]
Returned: false

[COLOR=olive]> ash chat_macro("/buy clancy's crumhorn");[/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Purchasing 1 Clancy's crumhorn.[/COLOR]

You acquire an item: Clancy's crumhorn
You spent 2,500 Meat
Returned: void

Edit: Also, these chunks of spaces don't get added to the things I paste until after I click submit. >_<
spaces removed -lost

Last edited by a moderator:

zarqon

Would it be nice to have mafia supply an informational cooldown counter for Bifurcating Blow?

matt.chugg

running 10708 I got this in the cli

Code:
--------------------
1011 Overconfident exclam.gif bfffe5f7333adfd5278e0a471854f8f0
Overconfident Monster Level: +30
--------------------

I believe I got it from pep talk!

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I added the mountain man stats and song of battle as combat +20 (are we certain? symmetry with song of solitude...).
TBD:

- Needs spading: What is the effect of Clancy's sackbut?
- Boris Songs are a new type of skill. You can only have one at a time, they are not shruggable, but casting one automatically removes an existing song. This probably only matters to us for setting up moods; just as you cannot have a mood with more than 3 (or 4) Accordion Thief songs, you can't have a mood with more than 1 Boris song.
- Monster: The Avatar of Sneaky Pete

Add an entry in monsters.txt for the last one, change MoodManager.maximalSet() to only autofill a new mood with a single Boris Song analogously to what that method does for Accordion Thief Songs, "eh" on the sackbut, and we are done, I think.

Maybe allow the maximizer to use "switch" on Clancy instruments, when you are Axecore, rather than familiars - or at maybe recognize that the instruments are the equivalent of familiar equipment and accommodate them that way.

Anything else we MUST do to support Axecore?