My personal Meat farming script

Magus_Prime

It's not a priority by any means but would you consider adding the following to VMF if Oliver's Place is available:
  • Run the three free combats in "An Unusually Quiet Barroom Brawl"
  • Visit "A Pool Table"
  • Use a government-per-diem if there is one in inventory

Magus_Prime

Would you consider the use of +meat items gained during adventuring to be within the scope of VMF? I'm thinking of the new "Flapper fly" drop from the S.I.T. Course Certificate (+60% meat drop for twenty turns).

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
That sounds like something a Mood could handle for you:

Trigger On: When an effect is lost
Check For: Flapper Dancin'
Command: use 1 flapper fly

Currently, VMF does not track what items you gain while adventuring.
It would be relatively cheap (computationally) to save inventory at the start and compare at the end to see what items has been gained - just as it does for Meat.
Doing it after each turn would be the same calculation - just multiplied by the number of turns.

There's another farming script which apparently counts gained items as part of your profits. That's fair, although one wonders how they are valued. (5th cheapest) mall price? I actually find that pretty dubious, since, unless the item is priced at mall minimum, the current mall price is not "what the item will sell for". It is "what the item is not currently selling for" - since if it's in the mall, it has not been sold. :)

This script COULD track items gained across the whole run and do some sort of analysis/valuation at the end, but tracking items gained after each adventure and doing ... something ... with that info seems out of scope.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
By the way - I have a big list of things I want to do for this (and other) scripts, but my coding mojo is currently consumed by my Standard runs - 3 days apiece, done manually in the Relay Browser - and fixing bugs/adding new content as I observe it. It's a lot of time, especially since I am now chaining the runs (starting the next run the same day I finish the previous). I haven't even update VGH to handle the Rock Garden, yet, although that's probably first on my agenda, once I return to staying in aftercore for a while.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
That sounds like something a Mood could handle for you:
I have not done autumn leaves with a mood because I didn't want a leaf to be purchased if there were not any in inventory but I did not want the mood to fail when there were none available.

It does seem like the solution would be to make the command, in the mood, a script. The script uses the item if available. The issue might be if the item remains unavailable because the script would be called every time the mood was checked but that could be coded around if it is a problem.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I was thinking of something more like a between battle script. A mood check would fire, and fail as @fronobulax mentioned, even if the character had no Flapper flies in inventory while a between battle script would "notice" that a Flapper fly had dropped and then use it.
<veer>I tend to avoid between battle scripts because I am already using someone else's and I don't want to maintain local modifications and I have not been motivated enough to write BBS that is a wrapper and thus adding a new BBS is just one line.

I am lazy and my autumn-aton script is an unconditional trigger in my mood. The first thing it does is check inventory and exits if the autumn-aton is not in inventory. There is no noticeable performance hit in my environment.

Magus_Prime

I use zarqon's BBB and, while I am also lazy, @zarqon doesn't update it very frequently so that's less of a concern (but it is still a concern). I haven't gotten around to throwing together a wrapper script. I think the only thing that I've done that for is Bale's NewLife.