Modifier Maximizer

tripwood

I'm wondering why whenever I ask to maximize item drops and I don't have enough +Item accessories, it will equip +MP equipment instead of leaving what was already there.

> maximize item

Maximizing...
312 combinations checked, best score 240.81534
Putting on miner's helmet...
Equipment changed.
Wielding magic whistle...
Equipment changed.
Holding fancy opera glasses...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Baron von Ratsworth's monocle...
Equipment changed.
Putting on amulet of extreme plot significance...
Equipment changed.

slyz

Developer
The maximizer has a tiebreaker to decide what to put in the slots without anything you asked. Try reading up the thread to learn more about it.

tripwood

I still don't understand why it favours +HP/MP so much. Wouldn't it make sense to favour +mainstat or just not change the gear if it provides no bonus and there is no gear available that would?

For example, it suggests replacing my Squeezebox with a black kettle drum when asking for maximize item.

slyz

Developer
You can customize the tie breaker, if I remember correctly. If you are running the modifier from the GUI, this shouldn't be a problem. If you are using the CLI command, make sure you are passing on exactly the info you want.

just not change the gear if it provides no bonus and there is no gear available that would?

Have you tried the "-tie" option? On the CLI you would type "maximize item drop -tie"; in the window textbox, "item drop -tie". This tells MM to not change any gear that won't add to your specified goal.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
What I don't get about Modifier Maximizer (and its tiebreakers) is why it replaces an annoying pitchfork with a lead necklace on a Purse Rat when I'm maximizing something other than ML. Does it replace a Lucky Tam on a Leprechaun with a meat detector when maximizing items?

Incidentally, it also doesn't consider ant tools for my Purse Rat when maximizing meat.

(In essence: it doesn't exactly check your familiar's effectiveness when considering the tiebreakers; it just checks weight.)

jasonharper

Developer
The tiebreaker doesn't give any weight to ML at all, since it isn't unboundedly useful - and there's no way to tell how much +ML you're prepared to deal with. It does, however, consider +weight to be beneficial, whether or not that weight contributes to a familiar ability that the tiebreaker considers useful.

The ant tools are not described by any of the existing numeric modifiers; they are essentially decorative items, as far as the Maximizer is concerned. Meaningfully comparing their meat bonus to normal sources of +Meat% would require knowing the average meat drop in the current location - it's simply more work than I've found time for, for items of such limited usefulness.

jasonharper

Developer
You have to use the GUI version to do any maximization that involves pulling or buying, so that you can see what the proposed items are going to cost.

icon315

Why does mafia always say something like
Code:
 Current Score: 352.00

when in reality it is onle 252, it always seems to add 100% automatically

slyz

Developer
Because you start with a 100% drop rate or meat drop - ie with no modifier, a monster will drop 100% of it's meat.

slyz

Developer
I just noticed the maximize <something> -tie doesn't equip only items that actually change <something> anymore. Is this the intended behavior?

Raven434

Is there a way to hardcode in or personalize some of the options?

I'd really love to be able to permanently add 'MP Regen Max' in as a pulldown menu choice for the Maximizer. I wasn't sure if there was a way to permanently add that in to the prefs file or...

Thanks!

icon315

Is there a way to get this in a script:
Code:
336 combinations checked, best score 23.0
Without having to actually equip anything?

EX:
numeric_modifier("Adventures") only calculates the amount of adventure you have according to your current equipment etc.

slyz

Developer
The closest you can get to that is using the whatif command, but the maximizer won't return anything you can use in a script (this has been asked several times already).

icon315

I am not sure that mafia is detecting Clownosity correctly, it keeps saying fail even though i do have enough parts, it also doesn't how much +clownosity each equipment gives.

Also it doesn't detect Raveosity at all. it doesn't display any of the equipment and even though i do infact have enough

Spiny

When I maximize for spell damage on one of my saucerors (who doesn't have spirit of rigatoni permed), the maximizer is sometimes suggesting I keep whatever random melee weapon I'm equipped with (even if it has no spell damage booster) and put on the kickback cookbook. Other times it suggests the rib of the bonerdagon (which I have). I think the better combination is a star spatula + kickback of cookbook.

When I do modtrace spell damage, mafia is aware what the bonuses are for these various items, but for some reason mod max isn't advising which is truly the highest spell damaging combination of weapon + offhand. I'm not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong to cause these inconsistencies.

Last edited:

halfvoid

Will I get pelted with angry responses if I ask when the modifier maximizer will take into account the crown of thrones?