Modifier Maximizer

Familiar equipment bug?

With a 23 lb sombrero and no familiar equipment equipped I maximized on "item" and it suggested equipping miniature antlers. I have a little box of fireworks in inventory, which should dominate the miniature antlers. (Always at has at least as good +fam weight, and 50% chance of 25%-29% improvement to item drop.)

[ETA location was (accidentally) set to "outskirts of the knob" but item drop percentages were still less than 100%]

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I don't think mafia knows about the +stat or +item effect of fireworks. They would be hard to effectively display, because if any drops are close to always dropping, you don't want to tell the user that they will always drop.

jasonharper

Developer
Mafia generally doesn't consider effects that fire randomly, as they're not really equivalent to an always-on effect - considering the fireworks to be a +12.5% item drop booster would screw up the determination of whether pickpocketing is worthwhile, and would probably give an incorrect idea of how many consumable drops you'd get from a Hobopolis/Slime Tube boss. I don't see any good fix for this, but I will continue to think about it.

jasonharper

Developer
In r7771, the little box of fireworks is considered to have a 1.5 EXP bonus (3 stat points, 50% of the time), and likewise the Mayflower bouquet has an average +0.625 EXP. This shouldn't cause the same kinds of problems that an intermittent item drop bonus would, since whether experience bonuses actually give you any mainstat points is entirely a matter of RNG. This doesn't really solve the problem, but at least these items should now always be ranked better than something with just a +5 pound bonus.

Bale, you can now use "-equip sniff sword" to force a different weapon to be chosen.

Bale

Minion
Can anyone begin to explain why the maximizer thought I might even want to consider purchasing a rat-head balloon? I have no familiar item right now, but even nothing is better than the suggestion!

rat_head_balloon.png

jasonharper

Developer
Well, the Maximizer no longer considers leaving a slot empty, if you've got anything at all available to put in it - that was a HUGE speed-up, perhaps the largest single one so far. How much speed would you be willing to give up, to avoid any possibility of this problem?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Is it possible to pretend the rat head balloon doesn't exist? Does the Modifier Maximizer get stuck if there really is no possible equipment for a slot?

Bale

Minion
How much speed would you be willing to give up, to avoid any possibility of this problem?
I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice any speed for that. I'm smart enough to figure out that buying a rat head balloon is a bad idea. I'm always careful of what I choose when I select the createable/foldable option.

Mostly I just wanted to share my amusement. ;)

Incidentally I find the modifier maximizer so simple and easy to use that I'm frequently asking it for help setting up my gear or finding stuff to make. Damn it's sweet!

Last edited:

jasonharper

Developer
I wouldn't want to pretend that an item doesn't exist, when there's any possible use for it - and a user might legitimately want to reduce familiar weight (spading something at low weight, perhaps). Also, I would prefer to avoid hard-coding ANYTHING - right now, the Maximizer has explicit knowledge about exactly two items (special sauce glove, llama gong), and as far as I'm concerned, that's two too many.

r7858 will not consider acquiring any equipment that's irrelevant to what you're trying to maximize, which should prevent the rat head balloon from being suggested in this case. Note that if you actually HAD the balloon, and no other familiar equipment, it would still be suggested.

Bale

Minion
Well done. I think most of us would not be stupid enough to let it purchase the balloon, but it was silly to see it.

Rinn

Developer
I did "maximize adv, switch disembodied hand" and I got an error about trying to equip a weapon in my offhand when there is nothing in my main hand I assume this is because I have two time swords and one is equipped on my disembodied hand and mafia isn't removing it before it is wielded or swapping to the hand because it can maximize without it. This probably only showed up today because the grimicite items are giving +0 adventures.

mredge73

I have a request:
Can there be a choice for "maximizing frosty killing"
I am not sure exactly what it would be called but it would maximize prismatic damage and passive damage. I just cannot ever remember what is required to kill frosty.

jasonharper

Developer
You can "maximize elemental damage" already, but that's not exactly what you're asking for - it would consider 5 points of one element to be equal to one point of each element, but those are not at all equivalent versus Frosty. And mafia has no modifier describing passive damage, so there's no way to maximize it.

The best you can do at the moment is to look up suitable equipment once, and save it as an anti-Frosty outfit.

shazbot

So, factoring in the stinky cheese IOTM, it would be neat to take into account having one of the items and squishing it into another item. I don't know if mafia keeps track of the current level of boosting for it, but it'd be neat.

Additionally, a maximize prismatic damage would be neat.

kain

for Frosty, I just figured out my buffs and equipment one time, and then created a frosty outfit and a frosty mood.

Plus, you don't need to maximize prismatic damage ... you only need 3 points! (I think, it's been a long time since I did any hobo boss killin')

Rinn

Developer
You only need a point in each element, which you can accomplish by using elemental nuggets (+3 damage) without wasting an equipment slot.

Edit: snipped out the pointless info, it was confusion because cheese items aren't tracked. Answered by Rinn below.

Last edited: