Bug - Fixed Cannot view all familiars in mafia

Fluxxdog

Wow. And I thought I was attached to my familiars ^^
I got to thinking, what about a search field, like what was implemented for the skill and items in the CAB recently? ereinion got me thinking, usually we're looking for a specific familiar.

TwirlyRotini

I have more combat familiars than are visible from KoLmafia's familiar selector. Could you please add scrolling so I can see the ones at the end of the alphabet? Thank you!

Using v16.9 r15897
(The bug is reproducible by having too many familiars in a dropdown category on the main mafia window.)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
This has been requested numerous times before.
It's a good idea.

It'd be nice to merge all of the duplicates together, this being the latest.

P.S. I'm not sure you can have scrolling in a dropdown - which I assume is what you mean by "familiar selector"; what you get in the compact sidepane when you click on the familiar icon.

For now, you can change your familiar in the Gear Changer, at least.

Bale

Minion
An alternate solution would be to add a second column of familiars if it gets longer than the screen display. I like that solution better because it means being able to see all at the same time.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Seems to me that the reason I went for the MRU with size limit is that there was a Java related issue with adding a scroll bar and some difficulty in determining the conditions that would trigger it, even if it could be used.

Above was from here but I have some recollection that was why I didn't offer up a solution to the familiar dropdown last time around.

Trying to figure out how many lines are in a display dynamically is more fiddly than I have patience for but I can see constructing columns with a fixed number of items in each column. That is probably better than alphabetizing the familiars and creating nested submenus so that when you finally display familiars there are a fixed number in the dropdown.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I merged this with one of the other threads. I assume we can ignore the attitude that it started out with and consider the actual issue.

I recall a different thread in which we discussed the idea of breaking up the combat familiar list into multiple other lists. I.e., increasing the number of familiar sub categories. I'll see if I can find that.

Edit: Found another thread to merge.
Edit 2: I found the familiar categories suggestion and merged it in here.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK, since this is affecting me, I'm thinking of doing it. Here the categories I want to specify for each familiar in familiars.txt:

Code:
# item0 - Fairy
# meat0 - Leprechaun
# stat0 - Volleyball
# stat1 - Sombrero
The first 4 already exist and correspond to "meatdrop", "itemdrop", and "statgain" in the familiar picker.
We also have "drops" (for familiars that drop things - green pixie, unconsious collective, puck man, ...)

Currently, we have "combat" - for any familiar that does something to harm your opponent during combat.

Code:
# combat0 - Physical Damage
# combat1 - Elemental Damage
# block - Potato
# delevel - Barnacle
# hp0 - restores HP during battle
# hp1 - restores HP after battle
# mp0 - restores MP during battle (Starfish)
# mp1 - restores MP after battle
I think this categorizes them sufficiently. Perhaps more than enough. These will be submenus under "combat".

This much granularity wouldn't hurt in familiars.txt, but do we need this granularity in the submenus? Just as we combine stat0 and stat1 into "statgain", we could combine mp0 and hp0 into "in combat hpmp" and mp1 and hp1 into "after combat, for example.

Code:
# other - anything else
This is the "other" list. pet rocks, O.A.F., black cat, ...

Note that any of these menus (or submenus) will not be present if you have no familiars in the corresponding list.

All the new familiar types look like they would go in the $familiar proxy record, too...

Darzil

Developer
Personally I'd prefer hp and mp restore separately, as I simply don't care about hp restore 99% of the time (the other 1% being some future challenge path where familiars restore hp but skills don't).

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK, take a look at revision 16079. This categorizes every familiar in familars.txt as above - although it is probably not completely correct for things which are "other" - and adds submenus to the "combat" menu of the familiar popup.

As it turns out, the "physical" submenu is exactly the height of my monitor, which is an improvement, although I think that means it will still be too big for smaller screens, like my laptop...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
familiars.txt has 57 "combat0" familiars. I have 169 familiars, of which 55 are "combat0". I am missing the Hand Turkey and the Crimbo Elf.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 16084 adjusts the combat submenus a bit: instead of "physical" and "elemental", there is now "physical only", "elemental only" and "physical and elemental". Since I have 6 familiars in the last category - and the Snow Angel was erroneously in physical, rather than elemental - there's a noticable decrease in the size of the "physical only" submenu.

I also added ASH proxy record fields for the 8 new sub-categories of combat familiar. They are all booleans:

.physical_damage
.elemental_damage
.block
.delevel
.hp_during_combat
.hp_after_combat
.mp_during_combat
.mp_after_combat

Rather than "other" in familiars.txt, there probably should be categories for "other action during combat" (other0) and "other actions after combat" (other1), leaving "none" for familiars that do literally nothing. (So, would that make the Reassembled Blackbird be an "other1" familiar, rather than a "none" familiar?) And the $familiar proxy record could then include .other_during_combat and .other_after_combat, and all the familiars could be examined closely, again, to make sure they have exactly the correct categories. That's probably a Feature Request.

But this Bug Report is probably as done as it's going to get, so I am marking it Fixed.

VladYvhuce

I have 174 familiars. It would be nice if I could select more than those starting with "Adorable Seal Larva" through "Bloovian Groose" in the main Mafia window's familiar icon menu. If we can't get the pop-up to scroll, then perhaps that should be replaced with a more convenient drop-down menu like in the Gear Changer and Crown/Bjorn familiar selectors? And before anyone yells at me: I know I'm being lazy.