Bug - Fixed Cannot view all familiars in mafia

Ferdawoon

This is mostly about the menue that appear if you rightclick the familiaricon in Mafia. The varios categories are great and do not contain that many familiars. The Combat category though, have a lot.. My list start with A at the top of my screen and end a bit into R at the bottom. Sure there might not be any combatfamiliar after Rogue Program but I think there is, hence the feature request. The lists are nive if I just want an easy switch and I use it more than the familiardropdown in the Gear Manager. Adding some form of scroll function to the lists would be great

This, to some degree, also apply to the Scripts menue, but I know there is the "Load Script..." to select scripts that do not show so I guess I am more requesting a nice end to the list (atm I see about 2/3 of a scriptname with the rest below my taskbar (at least I think that is the english word for the field at the bottom of the screen in Windows) ) or to, if possible, change it from a strict alphabetical sorting to take into account "The Most Used" or something similar, Ie, show the 15 last used or most used scripts in alphabetical order.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
+1 on a scroll bar for scripts in the drop down, acknowledging that there is a fairly easy work around. Maybe the drop down is restricted to the 5 most recent scripts run from the Menu. If the one you want is not on the list then use Load to select it and next time it is in the top five. To be most useful to me, only scripts loaded from Menu count. Scrips loaded from the gCLI or other scripts do not count. Most recent also needs to be per character.

Winterbay

I've taken to put my scripts into folders to maket the drop down list slightly more manageble, but with lots of scripts it can be hard to find them then if you don't remember the reason you put it in a specific folder :)

familiar list in sidepanel cuts off

For most of the types, it works fine, but there are a -lot- of combat familiars, and when trying to choose anything in the R section or later, I can't use the sidepanel of mafia to do so, as it gets cut off by my screen with no down arrow to scroll further, or by cutting the list off at a certain point and extending horizontally.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'm sorry your Java installation on your operating system does that to you.
Mine does a better job for me.

What exactly do you suggest we do to get around defective Java widgets?

You know, there are less "I'm a sarcastic bitch" ways to say that a given bug isn't caused by mafia's code specifically.

I'm sorry to have wasted the time it took you to respond to my original post.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
You know, there are less "I'm a sarcastic bitch" ways to say that a given bug isn't caused by mafia's code specifically.

I'm sorry to have wasted the time it took you to respond to my original post.

You know you're carrying a lot of attitude yourself if you read "sarcastic bitch" into the response. I'm not sure there is anything to be said in your defense, but to err on the side of giving you the benefits of all doubt, Veracity runs mafia in a Mac environment and that information might have helped inform your understanding of her response, if you had recalled.

I thought I was reading it wrong when I first read her response. I asked a handful of people in my clan what they thought, and the answer was unanimous: The problem is in Java, not KoLmafia, so she's shooting you down with rhetoric.

I, like probably many posters here, look at KoLmafia and see one program, taking for granted that there may be -other- pieces of code in it that the mafia team isn't responsible for. If I knew how to go about fixing it, I would have suggested that in my first post, and that's why I read sarcasm into her response. If she was being sincere, then I am sorry, and I mean that, but taking into account what I have previously knew about her (including conversation between me and her specifically and her interaction with others) that's not how it came across to me.

Theraze

Well, her point stands... if your Java installation is the problem, how do the developers work around that? Either you can fix your copy of Java, or if you can figure out a way that mafia can replicate its behaviour that doesn't cause your installation to have issues, without damaging its functionality for others, then great... it might get implemented into the main source. But since its your installation that's the problem, she can't fix it.

That's fine, and I'll deal with it being this way if I have to. But if she could have said it the way you said it, I wouldn't have barked back. I had no idea that the problem I was having was caused by a bug in Java (either main or my installation specifically) and not something that could have been fixed by the kolmafia code; do you normally maintain that your average users should be able to tell the difference?
I'll re-install my Java to see if that helps, and if not, then so be it.
For the record, if anyone else is having this problem, I'm running 64-bit Java 1.6.0_23-b05 on Windows 7.

Theraze

Using 64-bit Java 1.6.0_24-b07 in Windows 7 myself. Only have ~15 combat familiars, which isn't enough to actually be an issue.

Yendor

Combat familiar list too long

The list of my combat familiars is too long to fit on my screen (resolution 1280x960). I can select the ones below the bottom of the screen using cursor keys, but obviously can't see them.

Theraze

Believe this is a Java implementation thing, not a mafia bug, per se...

Solutions:
1) Enable favourite familiars and use your top 4 or so.
2) Use the relay browser when you need 'hidden' familiars
3) Use the gCLI to set familiars that are off the screen
4) Get a bigger monitor

Bale

Minion
Believe this is a Java implementation thing, not a mafia bug, per se...

The relevant question is if java has a better way of doing this that won't disappear off the bottom of the screen. Anyone know the answer?

matt.chugg

The relevant question is if java has a better way of doing this that won't disappear off the bottom of the screen. Anyone know the answer?

perhaps not using a context menu, personally i've never struggled and like the speed and accessability, but I suspect this functionality was written when there were a lot less familiars.

Possibly its time for a feature request for a "familiar manager" dialog with functionality off the top of my head similar to modifier maximizer to aid choosing a familiar with most useful effect, crown of throne effects (I remember seeing a request for this) and enthrowning, run percentages, name managment, weights/kills etc.

thoughts before I request it?

Bale

Minion
thoughts before I request it?

My first thought is that I'd never use it.

As for crown of throne effects, I think that was actually a request for those effects to be in the inventory screen. I don't think that should be granted. Those effects are already displayed in the familiar item drop-down so I don't think it needs to be in a "familiar manager" dialogue to present them.

Do you personally desire to use it other than for solving the problem expressed in this thread? If a familiar manager is not something that you personally desire to use, then you should not request it. Trying to proactively request something like this is not necessary a good idea. I think we only need to solve this thread's problem for now.

roippi

Developer

The context menu is a JPopupMenu. There aren't really any inherited methods to deal with the menu being too large for the screen. It's fairly universally agreed upon that if you need more vertical room in a menu, you've already done something wrong and should instead have more submenus.

You could in theory stick all the menu items into a JScrollPane which would display a scrollbar if necessary. That's a bit of work though and I don't really see it being worth anyone's time to do.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
JScrollPane

My search fu sucks at the moment. My recollection is that this has been discussed before and that there is a Java bug with JScrollPane that prevents the solution from working. Is this more of a reason to give serious thought to moving on from Java 1.4?