bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

Winterbay

There is currently no logic in the script to use free run-aways, I'd suggest adding that to the sourceforge page and it may be gotten to at some point :)

And, yes it was using the emilio due to it being your default familiar.

bumcheekcity

There is currently no logic in the script to use free run-aways, I'd suggest adding that to the sourceforge page and it may be gotten to at some point :)

And, yes it was using the emilio due to it being your default familiar.

My current policy of only doing something if it fixes a bug or saves ten turns means this probably won't get looked it, but we could always have a new familiar category of bedroom which just has the boots, and try those. It could save a few turns, but it would take so little time that if you log it to the sourceofrge, I'll get it done.

Am anticipating making a quick release of 0.41 before the new challenge path is out to have a clean slate to work with.

jorshua

I just noticed recently that the script, after switching to the hippy outfit for the hidden city (a move I'm not quite sure of the logic of when I'm wearing an astral shirt) it then proceeds to the pyramid without changing the outfit back.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
My character typically unequips a weapon and adds a time halo for rollover. On several occasions bccascend has not equipped a weapon and I have ended up having to rely on my bare hands. My hunch is that one of the many modifer expressions used won't equip a weapon if it doesn't contribute to the goal. Should I report at SF or gather more data?

Winterbay

My character typically unequips a weapon and adds a time halo for rollover. On several occasions bccascend has not equipped a weapon and I have ended up having to rely on my bare hands. My hunch is that one of the many modifer expressions used won't equip a weapon if it doesn't contribute to the goal. Should I report at SF or gather more data?

I think it would be great if you could find out what maximize-call is being used when this is happening, by just checking the maximizer after it has happened. I also generally summon a time halo, but have not seen this so far so it would be interesting to see what the difference could be.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I'll see what I can see. I actually don't notice this has happened until WHAM aborts because it isn't comfortable with the choices and I have the opportunity to attack with my bare hands or fists of fury or whatever string is used to describe "unarmed". But there are things I can and will try.

stannius

Has anyone else seen this message?
bcca_clioutput said:
Unable to check shore progress (99% of the time, this is because you lack meat). I recommend you make the Dinghy manually.
I did day 1 manually and adventured once at the shore (to start the countdown).

EDIT:
It needs an additional line:
Code:
string numTripsTaken = shore.group(1);
if (numTripsTaken == "no") numTripsTaken = "0";
else if (numTripsTaken == "one") numTripsTaken = "1"; // add this line

if (numTripsTaken < 5 && (my_meat() > 500*(5-to_int(numTripsTaken))))
	cli_execute("adv "+(5-numTripsTaken.to_int())+" moxie vacation");

Last edited:
question for BCC - would you prefer the sourceforge page only get bug reports, or are improvement suggestions welcomed there also? I only ask because although I post them in here I want to make sure you're seeing them where you're most likely to consider implementing. Thanks for keeping this script constantly evolving for the better.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
question for BCC - would you prefer the sourceforge page only get bug reports, or are improvement suggestions welcomed there also?

bumcheekcity's signature said:
Please submit all bumcheekascend bugs here (can be done without needing a sourceforge account)
There's pretty much no chance whatsoever of getting a bug fixed or feature request without it being added to sourceforge.
You decide. :)

bumcheekcity

question for BCC - would you prefer the sourceforge page only get bug reports, or are improvement suggestions welcomed there also? I only ask because although I post them in here I want to make sure you're seeing them where you're most likely to consider implementing. Thanks for keeping this script constantly evolving for the better.

You can post it here if you want to initiate discussion, but if it's not on sourceforge, I won't fix it because I'll forget. Winterbay might fix it, but this thread moves damn quick, so it's quite possible it'll get missed there too.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
0 beeosity, 0.5 mp regen max, mainstat 15 max, -melee -10 ml -tie +moxie experience +5 mp regen min +5 mp regen max is one maximizer string used by bccascend that does not seem to equip a weapon if none is equipped.

Winterbay

Am I correct in assuming that you have in fact no ranged weapon in your inventory and is playing as a Moxie character?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Am I correct in assuming that you have in fact no ranged weapon in your inventory and is playing as a Moxie character?

Moxie correct. Absence of ranged, incorrect since the start weapon is ranged for both classes. In fact the string above came from the beginning of a run since nothing I did, scripted or otherwise, actually equipped a weapon after ascending.

Winterbay

Moxie correct. Absence of ranged, incorrect since the start weapon is ranged for both classes. In fact the string above came from the beginning of a run since nothing I did, scripted or otherwise, actually equipped a weapon after ascending.

Interesting. I tried, both with and without all my ranged weapons in the closet, to try and reproduce this (as a myst class) and could do so from time to time. I have no idea why it sometimes wanted to equip a ranged weapon and sometimes not, and why it sometimes suggested no weapon (even going so far as to suggest I unequip the one I had on) and sometimes suggested a non-ranged one even with -melee on.

Theraze

0 beeosity, 0.5 mp regen max, mainstat 15 max, -melee -10 ml -tie +moxie experience +5 mp regen min +5 mp regen max is one maximizer string used by bccascend that does not seem to equip a weapon if none is equipped.

Well, that's somewhat obvious... isn't it? Let's analyze - this will equip items if:
a) No beeosity - only eliminates items.
b) .5 mp regen max, +5 mp regen max (uses only the last one, so the first is overwritten) - any weapon that will regen mp, probably nothing.
c) mainstat 15 max - stops trying to equip items if their only benefit is mainstat and you already have 15 mainstat.
d) -melee - only eliminates the melee weapons.
e) -10 ml - eliminates anything with +ml and includes items with -ml, but there isn't much in this group besides the drowsy sword that you'll get in a standard ascension, which is already eliminated through the -melee of d.
f) -tie - only equip items if they're actually going to go towards our goal, which is NOT to have everything filled in, but only to meet the other items, which we'll look at later.
g) +moxie experience - equip the item if it gives us more moxie.
h) +5 mp regen min - equip the item if it gives us more mp regen, similar to b, except it's only defined once.

The problem, obviously, is in f and the other calls made which make f find no results. So let's see... the only items we're allowed to equip, once we get 15 moxie, are items that are not melee weapons that provide mp regen, drop non-combat ml, give moxie experience. Anything outside that category? Rejected.

Is there even a weapon that provides moxie experience that low?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
The script hadn't used your only ranged weapon to make an Epic you couldn't yet equip either, right?

Correct. The stolen accordion is present. This happened with a character fairly late in a run and yesterday after it (she?) ascended. Due to the miracle that is the maximizer remembering strings that were used, I've run a lot of bccascends strings manually as tests. I'm pretty sure that the maximizer doesn't consider the absence of a weapon (in a non WOTSF run) anything worth changing if there is no weapon that makes a beneficial contribution. I figure the problem would go away if something forced a weapon to be equipped but it is not clear where that responsibility best lies.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Well, that's somewhat obvious... isn't it? Let's analyze - this will equip items if:
a) No beeosity - only eliminates items.
b) .5 mp regen max, +5 mp regen max (uses only the last one, so the first is overwritten) - any weapon that will regen mp, probably nothing.
c) mainstat 15 max - stops trying to equip items if their only benefit is mainstat and you already have 15 mainstat.
d) -melee - only eliminates the melee weapons.
e) -10 ml - eliminates anything with +ml and includes items with -ml, but there isn't much in this group besides the drowsy sword that you'll get in a standard ascension, which is already eliminated through the -melee of d.
f) -tie - only equip items if they're actually going to go towards our goal, which is NOT to have everything filled in, but only to meet the other items, which we'll look at later.
g) +moxie experience - equip the item if it gives us more moxie.
h) +5 mp regen min - equip the item if it gives us more mp regen, similar to b, except it's only defined once.

The problem, obviously, is in f and the other calls made which make f find no results. So let's see... the only items we're allowed to equip, once we get 15 moxie, are items that are not melee weapons that provide mp regen, drop non-combat ml, give moxie experience. Anything outside that category? Rejected.

Is there even a weapon that provides moxie experience that low?

Nice analysis. Thank you. On the basis of that I might suggest bccascend needs to reconsider some of the maximizer strings that it submits.

Theraze

Easiest fix is taking out the -tie, but that can overwrite something you actually want. My personal solution is to use a complicated maximization string and just throwing in whatever else I want... my standard alias:
alias mymax => ashq string maxstring = "0 beeosity, 4 item, 3 meat, 2 mainstat, .01 familiar weight, " + (my_primestat() == $stat[Moxie] ? "ranged damage, weapon damage, .1 initiative, -melee, " : my_primestat() == $stat[Muscle] ? "weapon damage, .1 initiative, melee, " : "spell damage, .1 initiative, ") + "%%"; maximize(maxstring, false);
Basically -
Always: 0 beeosity, 4 items, 3 meat, 2 mainstat, .01 familiar weight.
Moxie: ranged damage, weapon damage, .1 initiative, -melee.
Muscle: weapon damage, .1 initiative, melee.
Mysticality: spell damage, .1 initiative.

Summary:
Moxie: Beeosity, items, meat, moxie, ranged damage, weapon damage, initiative, -melee.
Muscle: Beeosity, items, meat, muscle, weapon damage, initiative, melee.
Mysticality: Beeosity, items, meat, mysticality, spell damage, initiative.

I put the %% at the end so I can overwrite anything... generally when running muscle, I'll put a +shield in there, but if I'm doing unarmed or something similar, I don't want to force it. For bosses, I'll throw a 0 item, 0 meat in there, since their drops are basically fixed, and that gives me more weight to my stats. Moxie gets both ranged and weapon damage, since both add to its boost. Only real time I use a straight maximization without the alias is for fighting the shadow... that usually earns a straight "maximize hp" without anything else.

Why do something like this? Well, if I care about it, it'll probably end up matching SOME item for that slot. But I haven't marked -tie, and that's on purpose... if a slot is going to be empty, and I haven't cared enough to mark it as bad, then FILL THAT EMPTY SLOT. :) SOME modifier is better than nothing, even if it's not one of my favourite 5-6 modifiers... getting a bit more muscle or mysticality as a moxie class is always nice... well, except for when you're hunting scaling mobs. :)

If you're not in bees hate you, wouldn't the 0 beeosity hurt some of the things you can use (or does mafia ignore it if you're not in that challenge path)?