bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

jcowley

Just a little thing for bees hate you, getting the lowercase N and Ruby W (all letters) isn't neccessary, so it could cut out getting these items.

EDIT: Also the script aborted at level 10 and didn't use the enchanted bean, "afraid of Bs".
Maybe a way to stop it from equipping badass belt?

Last edited:

Theraze

Regarding the enchanted bean, I've changed my copy of "Level 10.ash" to use this for the planting instead:
Code:
    buffer page = visit_url("plains.php?place=grounds");
If it doesn't capture the contents of the page, the script aborts...

Pyren

Re: Xenomorph -
Meh. It's pretty marginal, to be honest. And I'd have to check for equipment. If someone can do some maths which shows it saving a fair number of turns, I might do it. Else almost certainly not.

Given that the script doesn't get equipment for any of the familiars, it could prioritize the Xenomorph ahead of pure volleyball familiars, thus farming transponders for those of us that don't have something more useful to be running for stats.

In my specific case, I'm using the script on a multi that has almost no useful skills or interesting familiars, so I'm pretty sure the Xenomorph (and the food/booze/healing from spending some turns in Space) will actually save/generate significant turns, particularly on day 1, where I tend to burn far too much meat on sub-par consumables. On the other hand, other folks probably aren't using the script on such limited characters.

PS: The Xenomorph seems to have some sort of unspaded attack. Not sure about it, but I've seen it attack guards in Cobb's Knob, and the Wiki Talk page indicates other people've seen the same thing.

PPS: The script is turning out ~1500-~1600 HCNP DB runs so far on a character with essentially no useful permed skills and a very basic terrarium. (Isky (#166788)) Very cool!

Last edited:

bumcheekcity

Glad to hear that the script seems to be working well for you. You can (and in your case, should) set the Xenomorph as your default familiar in the relay script.

I'm serious on the numbers. I'm happy to consider literally any addition that will save turns, but produce some actual numbers in not-ridiculously-contrived situations for me to consider it. Add that information to the sourceforge page. I've still got some RL issues going on, but I will get to updates in the fullness of time.

tgetgel

I must be doing something wrong. I just finished a BCBM run, started a BHY HC TT run (primed with newlife.ash) and keep getting beaten up. Where can I find the guide to set up bccascend? What are the appropriate zlib and script variable settings? I have a CCS that is consult batbrain.ash, attack with weapon. I am using Bales CC and UR. The adventure advisor relay script showed that with the mcd setting of 7 (which the script set) I had a small chance of hitting.
Thanks

Theraze

Consulting batbrain? That doesn't do anything... does it?

Consulting SmartStasis? That makes sense. Consulting the tools library? Not so much.

tgetgel

Consulting batbrain? That doesn't do anything... does it?

Consulting SmartStasis? That makes sense. Consulting the tools library? Not so much.

Well, that could explain part of it. I'll make that change and try again. v27 does equip knob goblin pants even though I am in BHY and my bumcheekascend outfit does has the old sweat pants. I had to closet the knob goblin pants to keep them from killing me.

Code:
Ascending Starting
Doing a check for Telescope Items
Level 1 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [toot].
BCC: We have completed the stage [knob].
BCC: We have completed the stage [pantry].
BCC: levelMe(5, true) called.
Level 2 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [guild1].
BCC: We have not completed the stage [spookyforest].
BCC: Maximizing ''
Maximizing...
40 combinations checked, best score 10.039213
Putting on Knob Goblin pants...
Equipment changed.
BCC: Switching Familiar for General Use
Resetting mind control device...
Mind control device reset.
BCC: Let's get a Tree-Holed Coin
Also, what does BCCascend do with the bee window counter, or what should I be doing about it?

Last edited:

Ferdawoon

I must be doing something wrong. I just finished a BCBM run, started a BHY HC TT run (primed with newlife.ash) and keep getting beaten up. Where can I find the guide to set up bccascend? What are the appropriate zlib and script variable settings? I have a CCS that is consult batbrain.ash, attack with weapon. I am using Bales CC and UR. The adventure advisor relay script showed that with the mcd setting of 7 (which the script set) I had a small chance of hitting.
Thanks

Quick question: Have you checked your HP and MP settings? Apparently, when you start a new ascension, the settings revert to "Dont restore HP", or at least it do for me. Maybe it is changed, or Bales Recovery script sort that for me because, come to think of it, that did not change my last ascension I think..
Have made me a very sad panda indeed when it have been spending adv in a zone getting beaen up a lot because it never heal me =S

But yes, consult SmartStasis.ash and/or consult spamattack.ash instead =)

It could also be that you for some reason have a load of B-gear equipped. Remember that the more B's in the names of your gear hurt you at the start of combat and too many will 1-shot you. That damage combined with a lost initiative can be bad as well.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Quick question: Have you checked your HP and MP settings? Apparently, when you start a new ascension, the settings revert to "Dont restore HP", or at least it do for me.

mafia resets the values when ascending. This has nailed me so many times that I have just given up and am now using Bale's newLife after deciding it wasn't a feature request that I was willing to implement in mafia or ask for in UR.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
mafia resets the values when ascending. This has nailed me so many times that I have just given up ...
Of course, before we did that, lots and lots of other people were "nailed" because we DIDN'T reset the settings. It's really disheartening to see KoLmafia drain away all your initial Meat in a Hardcore ascension automatically restoring MP with soda waters and such because you forgot to disable MP restoration.

You're not serious, right? You don't REALLY have a one-size-fits-all HP/MP restoration strategy that is exactly perfect from the moment you reincarnate to the the moment you step again through the gash? Unless said strategy is something like Bale's UR.

Theraze

Yeah... the two things I change by default in newLife are the curtains handling (if I'm going to burn turns in the ballroom, it's because I want moxie, regardless of my class... though this may change once all of my characters have halfshell permed) and the hp/mp regen settings. I set both initial and goals to what I need for basic survival, and can worry about the rest later. Though with decent goals, UR can optimize well as my abilities change...

Xenthes

I have been running into an odd situation with one of my multis. I have no idea why this is happening.

Code:
[1509] Barn
Encounter: generic duck
Round 0: Tigie Destroyer of Meat     wins initiative!
Round 1: Tigie Destroyer of Meat uses the chaos     butterfly!
You lose 7 hit points
KoLmafia thinks it is round 3 but     KoL thinks it is round 2
BCC: This isn't actually     adventuring at the noob cave. Don't worry.

BCC:     Run away, Brave Sir Robin!
Round 3: Tigie Destroyer of Meat     casts RETURN!

[1509] Noob Cave
KoLmafia thinks it is round 4 but     KoL thinks it is round 3
You lose 6 hit points
BCC:     Run away, Brave Sir Robin!
Round 4: Tigie Destroyer of Meat     casts RETURN!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 5 but KoL thinks it is round 4

KoLmafia     declares world peace.

This has been happening no matter where I was adventuring so it isn't just isolated to the island war.

I do have the newest versions of Mafia, zlib, smartstasis, and batbrain.
If you need more info let me know.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Of course, before we did that, lots and lots of other people were "nailed" because we DIDN'T reset the settings. It's really disheartening to see KoLmafia drain away all your initial Meat in a Hardcore ascension automatically restoring MP with soda waters and such because you forgot to disable MP restoration.

You're not serious, right? You don't REALLY have a one-size-fits-all HP/MP restoration strategy that is exactly perfect from the moment you reincarnate to the the moment you step again through the gash? Unless said strategy is something like Bale's UR.

Sorry to threadjack but...

It never occurred to me that the settings would be changed and so rather than spend lots of meat restoring MP, I spent numerous turns dealing with Beaten Up because I would auto-adventure in what I thought was safe if I restored HP between adventures. I do not recall the history of why mafia made the decision to reset the settings but neither am I advocating any change. My situation is operator error, pure and simple and there are solutions and workarounds that are satisfactory.

I'm not sure how to take your "not serious" comment, but yes, I have settings that when used with UR that are satisfactory to me for most of a run. I'd dare say there are runs where I have never changed the settings. That is almost certainly a feature of my willingness to sacrifice optimal play for automation.

StDoodle

Minion

Exactly; of the two, the old way of getting nailed was likely to happen at the beginning of every run, which could really suck when you were trying for speed. (Ie I'd type "cast leash" on the cli with <12MP, and watch mafia spend almost all of my meat if I'd already cast mojo previously.) The new way is likely to "nail" me on say day 8 of a lazy, haven't-had-time-to-play well run. (Auto-adventure, then see the "World Peace" message as I get beaten-up.) Of the two, I'll take the current behavior every time. Even though I never try for speed anymore.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You don't REALLY have a one-size-fits-all HP/MP restoration strategy that is exactly perfect from the moment you reincarnate to the the moment you step again through the gash?
I have settings that when used with UR that are satisfactory to me for most of a run.
Thank you for answering my question. To paraphrase, no, you do NOT have HP/MP recovery settings that work with an unmodified (i.e. unscripted) KoLmafia and Do The Right Thing both immediately after you reincarnate and also later. Thank you. That is exactly the answer I was expecting.

I, like the vast majority of KoLmafia users, do not use scripts in-run. I use the occasional script in aftercore - CounterChecker on a couple of multis, make-quest-vials for the Sauceress Nemesis quest, and so on - but I use moods to keep my buffs up, manually hit "recover HP" or "recover MP" while I am adventuring in the Relay Browser, and only actually set up auto HP/MP recovery when I finally start to automate turns, for the first time, at Level 12 during the War.

I guarantee that the HP/MP restoration settings I want when I am a Level 1 character with no Meat and a low Maximum MP are worlds apart from what I want when I am Level 12 with 40,000 Meat and 500+ Maximum MP. I guarantee that if I accidentally hit the "recover MP" link in the Relay Browser, I would MUCH prefer that KoLmafia not use my Level 12 MP Restoration settings and spend 90% - or 100%! - of my Meat buying soda waters in order to do that. I would MUCH prefer that it tell me that it cannot do that, and let me figure out what I REALLY want it to do. I WANT it to set my mood to apathetic and disable my HP/MP restoration and allow ME to decide what and when I want to change away from those settings.

You tell me that you use UR and are happy with your settings. I am honestly Really Happy for you. I am also honestly Really Happy that you can use Bale's New Life script to make sure that when you ascend, your settings are set up To Your Taste to work well with the other scripts that you have set up to work the way YOU want.

Do you really not understand that the vast majority of KoLmafia users do NOT use the program the way YOU use it, and the current defaults of disabling things that were Right when you were Level 12, but are completely harmful when you ascend and are Level 1, is the correct thing to do for, oh, pretty much everybody except you and the handful of other users who are Customized to the Hilt with this-or-that script?

I responded with "are you serious" because I took your "This has nailed me so many times that I have just given up" comment as, well, childish whining.

Mafia has "nailed" you.

Give me a fucking break.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
but I use moods to keep my buffs up, manually hit "recover HP" or "recover MP" while I am adventuring in the Relay Browser
I don't even automate that much, even for lazy ascensions. The only form of restoring I have checked, even for aftercore, is cocoon.

Junkyard

I don't remember seeing this answered, but why does the script not use any familiars in the junkyard?

For example, why not use a hound dog to level it some and maybe get a gremlin juice, or at least use a sombrero for more stats or a ghoul type to help heal back up afterwards (like the he-boulder comes to mind).

I'm not sure exactly what I'd prefer most...usually I use the bandersnatch because if you're using lasagna bandages he'll heal you even more...and if it's the wrong monster you can delevel it more, stun it longer, do more damage against it with spells, etc. and it'll give some more stats at the end of combat.

tgetgel

Quick question: Have you checked your HP and MP settings? Apparently, when you start a new ascension, the settings revert to "Dont restore HP", or at least it do for me. ...

It could also be that you for some reason have a load of B-gear equipped. Remember that the more B's in the names of your gear hurt you at the start of combat and too many will 1-shot you. That damage combined with a lost initiative can be bad as well.
HP recovery as set at 80/25. The script kept equipping the knob goblin pants. I had to put them in the closet and disable closet access.