bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

dier_cire

Myst is easy as a SA. Once you hit level 7ish and have spells permed properly, it's gains you MP. Otherwise, it's crappy moxie using reagent potions to buff you. As a PM, you just mitigate MP loss with properly tuned spells and the best one to 2 hit kill. Not perfect ascensions, but easily scriptable.

I did try this with a level 14 (divined up) casual ascension and have gotten a few goofy results. Obviously, this was never intended to work for an ascenion of this type but it does show some instances where it fails to check for pre-existing items. The big one I noticed is the He-boulder use in the Palindrome. If you already have the hound and nuts there is no reason to run him at all. Once you use him for a yellow ray, it doesn't switch him out either.

Also noticed the same thing on the Dusty bottles.

It also had some issues getting the temple open and doing the insults (as I made the mistake of grabbing the the dentures early and it didn't know how to handle the step up adv without enough insults). I would think adding an option to how many insults to grab would be useful as well.

overall, great script!

Last edited:

Theraze

True, it's still a work in progress... but as the title says, it's supposed to eventually be a zero setup semi-automated ascension script. Not to say you won't necessarily have to do things part-way through manually... hence semi-automated... but setup-wise? Should be none of that. :)

Not to say you can't hack the script to do what you want... you could just modify how many insults it wants already. But setup and that? Shouldn't be unless the script description changes. :)

dier_cire

I don't really think you understand what I'm saying. I'm saying throw it into a variable at the top so people don't have to dig through your code to change it. It takes like two seconds. Currently it is close to the top one or two pages down, but you have to wade through some code to find it. By default, it'd be 8 so there's no change.

Theraze

I think I know exactly what you're saying... :) You're wanting to make it a configurable script with zlib vars, like most of the scripts out there, as opposed to having the internal variables. Or maybe you're wanting him to remove his changelog? The first would definitely make more sense, as not knowing what's been done in the script makes it even more confusing.

A few random rambling thoughts on the script, bumcheekcity. :)
First, a question... is this ever supposed to be used in Bad Moon? How about for first ascensions? There are multiple places where things are assumed that don't apply to those ascensions... specifically, there's no star starfish collection. Not an issue for most people, but an issue first-run, and in any Bad Moon run. Should be easy to add... if the familiar isn't available, add item condition. As well, the boss bat quest just sets MCD, no check if it's possible. This happens both when adventuring and when doing the boss fight.
If you set the last step of the spooky sapling purchase to show in browser, and you manually send the last two steps (purchase sapling, leave), would that solve the current code limitations? They'd have a mini-browser window popped up, but the automation should handle the actual process and they should be able to close it immediate.
As a possible workaround for the required melee of the wartime hippy camp, would it make sense to run using Moxious Maneuver? Should guarantee the hits and make it work, they just need to make sure they have enough MP to use it 2-4 times in the fight. It's what I did my first time or two through BM DB runs. Later, I think I just got bored and ran the Gallery until I had enough muscle to hit, but that's not optimal... just good for avoiding frustration. :)
Not sure why the script aborts on GMoB as well? All you should have to do is keep adventuring with the right choiceadventure set, and it goes into the fight when it's time... Or am I confused? I was thinking if you have FTF/SS in as a consult, it should properly flyer the GMoB when he comes up...
Regarding the shadow at the top of the tower, would it make sense to run a maximize hp and try to use the automatic tower code to try to finish him off? Should be easy to buy/adventure for 6 red pixel potions if you don't have garters or massage oil or other such things. The automatic tower code will also train your familiars if they need it... the possible issue there is if you don't have the familiar it needs (due again to BM, first ascension, or just never having pulled/needed that one) you'll probably want an abort to have them find the proper familiar. Easy though if you don't need to find them...

Winterbay

I ran in to an interesting combination of Mafia and this script having interaction problems. The script was farming for sonar-in-a-biscuits and got the first two with the clover-adventure and then started adventuring for the third one. It got that and mafia stated "condition satisfied after x turns" so then the script tried to use them and failed because the inventory in Mafia hadn't updated to show the 3rd biscuit. I had to manually refresh the inventory (with "refresh inv") in order for it to be found. Not sure why Mafia noticed that the third biscuit had dropped but still didn't add it to the inventory count.

dier_cire

And now I remember why I don't bother posting here...
What I was saying is this:

Add around line 43:
int num_of_insults = 8;

then change current line 263 to:
while (i <= num_of_insults) {

Tada! (this is actually just good coding as hard coded numbers will always bite you in the ass)

Also, are they still teaching putting brackets at the end of lines? Why? why? why?

Theraze

Just a question... with what you gave, wouldn't that keep farming insults forever? Because what you're changing is the maximum total number of pirate insults being parsed, not the number to stop at. -_-

The line you actually want to change is 1070, where it says:
Code:
   while (numPirateInsults() < 8) {
and if you change that to this:
Code:
   while (numPirateInsults() < num_of_insults) {
then it will stop at whatever point it expects to win...

bumcheekcity

I did try this with a level 14 (divined up) casual ascension and have gotten a few goofy results. Obviously, this was never intended to work for an ascenion of this type but it does show some instances where it fails to check for pre-existing items. The big one I noticed is the He-boulder use in the Palindrome. If you already have the hound and nuts there is no reason to run him at all. Once you use him for a yellow ray, it doesn't switch him out either.

It also had some issues getting the temple open and doing the insults (as I made the mistake of grabbing the the dentures early and it didn't know how to handle the step up adv without enough insults). I would think adding an option to how many insults to grab would be useful as well.

To address these points:
- I know the He-Boulder/Palindrome thing is slightly suboptimal. I'm not going to change it, it's lots of work for a tiny amount of turns saved, possibly fractions of them.
- What were the issues with opening the temple? The spooky sapling thing is a known bug.
- The Beer Pong adventure will be hard to script and isn't perfect at the moment. I'll probably still be working on that for a fair while. I might end up being lazy and just not scripting that one part of it.

Wouldn't adding options break the whole "zero setup" part of things? :)

Default options wouldn't. This is how I actually want it to be. Customisable if necessary, runs out of the box if you don't care. But the number of pirate insults will stay at 8, it's the easiest way to do that. If you want optimal, don't run a script.

First, a question... is this ever supposed to be used in Bad Moon? How about for first ascensions? There are multiple places where things are assumed that don't apply to those ascensions... specifically, there's no star starfish collection. Not an issue for most people, but an issue first-run, and in any Bad Moon run. Should be easy to add... if the familiar isn't available, add item condition. As well, the boss bat quest just sets MCD, no check if it's possible. This happens both when adventuring and when doing the boss fight.
If you set the last step of the spooky sapling purchase to show in browser, and you manually send the last two steps (purchase sapling, leave), would that solve the current code limitations? They'd have a mini-browser window popped up, but the automation should handle the actual process and they should be able to close it immediate.
As a possible workaround for the required melee of the wartime hippy camp, would it make sense to run using Moxious Maneuver? Should guarantee the hits and make it work, they just need to make sure they have enough MP to use it 2-4 times in the fight. It's what I did my first time or two through BM DB runs. Later, I think I just got bored and ran the Gallery until I had enough muscle to hit, but that's not optimal... just good for avoiding frustration. :)
Not sure why the script aborts on GMoB as well? All you should have to do is keep adventuring with the right choiceadventure set, and it goes into the fight when it's time... Or am I confused? I was thinking if you have FTF/SS in as a consult, it should properly flyer the GMoB when he comes up...
Regarding the shadow at the top of the tower, would it make sense to run a maximize hp and try to use the automatic tower code to try to finish him off? Should be easy to buy/adventure for 6 red pixel potions if you don't have garters or massage oil or other such things. The automatic tower code will also train your familiars if they need it... the possible issue there is if you don't have the familiar it needs (due again to BM, first ascension, or just never having pulled/needed that one) you'll probably want an abort to have them find the proper familiar. Easy though if you don't need to find them...

And to address these:
- This isn't designed for BM/first adventures or very low skill runs. It probably won't be for a while, either, but there's no reason I couldn't add checks for familiars in 0.7 or 0.8. I'll add it on the todo list.
- There are numerous places where an mcd command is thrown. I've added a check each time we set the MCD in v0.7.
- The spooky sapling thing I'd like to be 100% automated, but I'm unsure whether mafia will make a change so that that particular choiceadv works like we want it to. I'll release 0.7 with either that or a proper visit_url()/run_combat() solution.
- Moxious Manouver is probably the best way for dealing with the Hippy problem, yes.
- I haven't tested the GMoB yet, so it could be buggy.
- Regarding the shadow, that IS how I handle it, although I don't farm RPPs, yeah.

Rinn

Developer
Where ever you want, personally I put them on their own line but who cares.

Also I already solved the pirate insult problem just jack it from my script.

bumcheekcity

Oh, I see. I used to put them on their own line but in this script, changed to putting them on the same line as the if() statement. Makes it a little more compact, and in a script that's 2200 lines without even being nearly finished, I need all the compact I can get.

And thanks, I shall pilfer the Beer Pong code :D

Last edited:

tgetgel

First, a question... is this ever supposed to be used in Bad Moon? How about for first ascensions?
This is exactly what I wanted to try for an unascended character. First ascension HC no clover, then Bad Moon Kitty Core, then each Bad Moon character type.

bumcheekcity

It's not going to be able to do that anywhere near soon, although it may be some way possible to do Normal Bad Moon moxie, you'd have to get the familiars though.

bumcheekcity

Actually, scratch that, it should be doable. The only difference between BM and HC is lack of MCD (well, I'm not setting it in BM) and the familiars, isn't it?

Theraze

Yeah... well, mostly. You start with a big rock, there are no clovers, and you don't have any of your shiny skills. And random additional adventures scattered throughout. But otherwise, should be basically the same as HC.

Basically, if you can make a star starfish, the other familiars are all randomly chosen, so especially in BM, you can't predict which you'll need... right?

bumcheekcity

In which case I suppose it SHOULD work, but it will probably end up spending a lot of time in the hidden temple :D

I'll have it throw a check for the star starfish and the other familiars, and I suppose, while I'm at it, I could throw in a check for the familiars if you're NOT in bad moon (i.e. if you just don't have the goat, etc.)

Winterbay

1) Is there a reason why the script does not use phat loot or polka of plenty to increase meat and item drops respectively (if available)?
2) Is there a reason why it is not using any of the fun Mr. Store 2 Mr. A familiars for farming rather than just baby gravy fairy (or hound dog/slimeling which I feel are less common)?

The script also seemed to have some kind of problem beating the boss bat (at level 6). It used the sonars, set the MCD, and then did not fight enough bodyguard bats to actually get to the boss bat and thus never managed to kill it. The day after it claimed I needed three new sonars and went hunting which I thought was rather dumb and stopped it to kill the boss myself.