bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

Theraze

When I'm playing well outside of a BIG! run, I'm rarely level 12 when I hit the Palindome. BIG! runs should really get special handling at some point, since it's definitely faster than HCNP and gives the same karma. But that to say, I'd probably suggest leaving that as a personal SVN change rather than a merged change.

dixmcdix

I have been doing exactly this (changing the quest order and what maximize is searching for) and it seems to be doing quite well so far. It would be interesting to see a set of 'options' for BIG! but that may be a lot to ask given that the desert and a couple other things still need work.

Crowther

I have my copy set to abort right before the Palindome. I did this by putting an abort right after 'checkStage("macguffinprelim", true);'

I've been doing softcore BIG! runs while I wait for a challenge path that isn't so lame.

Winterbay

I have my copy set to abort right before the Palindome. I did this by putting an abort right after 'checkStage("macguffinprelim", true);'

I've been doing softcore BIG! runs while I wait for a challenge path that isn't so lame.

Well, the crimbo path is supposed to be boring so I guess they succeeded there :)

Mr_Crac

Does anybody know what's the problem here?

Mood swing complete.
Need to Level up a bit to get 242 Mainstat
BCC: levelMe(242, false) called.
Beaten Up will be removed by skill Tongue of the Walrus...
Restoring MP! Currently at 0 of 212 HP, 7 of 231 MP, current meat: 14181 ... Target MP = 10.
Searching for "Knob Goblin seltzer"...
Search complete.
Purchasing Knob Goblin seltzer (1 @ 80)...
You acquire an item: Knob Goblin seltzer
You spent 80 Meat
Purchases complete.
Using 1 Knob Goblin seltzer...
You gain 10 Mojo Points
Finished using 1 Knob Goblin seltzer.
Did not recover from being Beaten Up!

So... why wouldn't it cast Tongue of the Walrus? I do have this skill HC-permanent. I have enough MP. I have enough meat to buy more MP if needed. The skill is enabled in KoLmafia under the HP/MP Usage tab. So what's wrong?

This is by they way happening during the Level 9 quest, at the A-Boo Peak.

Last edited:

Theraze

Do you have an unrecognized +mpcost item that makes it fail to be able to cast Tongue with 17 mp? This doesn't seem like it would be a BCA problem, but a problem with your recovery script. Or recovery options, but...

Tongue of the Walrus doesn't show up in the BCA script. Not once.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
BCC: We have not completed the stage [macguffinprelim].
Verifying ingredients for reassembled blackbird (1)...
Creating 1 meat paste...
You acquire an item: meat paste
You lose 10 Meat
Successfully created meat paste (1)
Creating reassembled blackbird (1)...
You acquire an item: reassembled blackbird
Successfully created reassembled blackbird (1)
Using 1 reassembled blackbird...
You already have that familiar.

at which point bccascend stopped. Ideally it would recognize that I already had the blackbird and not try and use it or do whatever gives the already have one message. This makes me wonder if something, somewhere should use the blackbird as a goal and recognize that it is satisfied when there is one in the terrarium, rather than goal for (I made a new verb) the parts.

Theraze

Sounds reasonable, so r427 will check if we already have the Black Forest familiar before trying to reconstruct it.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Discussion started over in the WHAM thread.

What do bcasc_AllowML and bcasc_disableMCD do and how do they interact?

I want something that will take into account various characteristics of the character, the location to be adventured in and then set the MCD to the highest possible value it can be and still give the character a reasonable chance of defeating anything found during the next adventure. Is that something bccascend, BBB or what? If it is not bccascend how should the above parameters be set so that bccascend will not interfere with the actions taken by whatever is managing the MCD?

Thanks.

Winterbay

bcasc_disableMCD controls if the mcd is allowed to be used to get different boss drops.

bcasc_AllowML controls if the script is allowed to use +ml items and familiars at the points where this may be beneficial. It will also force the mcd to max while not set to a specific value in order to help with levelling. I think that should preferably be combined with ignoring safe moxie in order to avoid overlevelling.

Mr_Crac

Is there anything that is keeping us from finishing the automation of the desert exploration? The script already does a good part of it, and what is missing does not seem to be all that much left to do. But maybe I am mistaken and there is some problem that I don't realize?

Theraze

Probably the decision between farming the killing jar or staying in the beach, or whether to try for the stone rose/drum machine or just slog through the desert. My usual manual after it aborts is 5 adventures in the desert (burn off UH), 2 adventures in the oasis, 4 adventures in the desert. Repeat until the stone rose/drum machine w/ pages or the desert is completed. Usually find the stone rose around 60 into the desert, which is also about when the pages all get found, so I can finish it off with just Gnasir. But if you have good +item, the killing jar might be worthwhile, or if you have lousy drop-luck you might prefer avoiding the drum machine and just doing the desert exploration straight-up.

Basically, the 'best' automation varies by the user and their luck at the moment. I don't think anyone has wanted to be the person who gets blamed for all the RNG-hate. Yet. :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Probably the decision between farming the killing jar or staying in the beach, or whether to try for the stone rose/drum machine or just slog through the desert.

I vote for automating something now and optimizing as people get experience with the automation. The different strategies don't seem especially critical foe users who are happy with a five day run for karma farming.

Crowther

I vote for automating something now and optimizing as people get experience with the automation. The different strategies don't seem especially critical foe users who are happy with a five day run for karma farming.
Is there really a 10 turn difference between the choices? I'd be happy with anything, then I can hack from there if I care. Then again, I could submit a patch myself, so I can't complain. I just haven't been in a coding mood in my free time recently. Instead I replanted a huge patch of society garlic.

I added item drop (itemnc and "-i") in the library to my script for a small chance at a killing jar. That's a simple change to one line that should help everyone.

The new hidden city still has some sharp edges. There are infinite loops and it's often after an abort hard to work out how to get things restarted. I'm not sure if that's a KoL problem, but I can't seem to figure out which corners I got my stone triangles from without checking my logs. BCA should be able to restart that quest in middle, but since I find that hard to do myself, that might be a bigger problem. BCA currently can't do it.

I'm very excited about the idea of better BIG! support, but until the basic quests are handled, I'd rather wait.

Oh, and I finally figured out why no one else cared that BCA can't properly set up the non-combats in the castle correctly. BBB does. Maybe BBB should be a required script for BCA? For some silly reason, it bothers me they do the spooky forest in different orders, but I love not having to mess with the GUI to burn turns there. That time savings alone is worth my BBB problems.

Okay, sorry, that's all my bottled up gripes all at once. I've been feeling a bit bitchy recently. Hopefully there's something productive in all that.

EDIT:

And I'm sad to see a BCA fork for softcore. I don't think many changes were needed, but sadly the fork is for low skill/item softcore and I'm at the other end. Pulls/faxes/arrows/copies/etc have lots trade offs.

Last edited:

dixmcdix

I third this. Would be great to have something in place. I'm a total tard so putting this together myself is likely beyond my skillness level. But if there were something I'd at least be able to try my hand at hacking it into a different solution (should that be needed).

Also FWIW, I've done it each way (killing Jar farming/worm riding) at least 6 times, and Find that worm riding is generally the faster method (unless you are 170-190+ Item Find). The 7.5 adventures that the Killing Jar saves are not always enough to get the jar in the first place. The pages come while increasing explored percent in the desert, and the stone rose comes while farming the drum machine, so these both seem like less of a possible turn sink (at least in my experience).

Last edited: