bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

Lokathor

Not a bug. I'd be willing to consider changing that to can_interact if other BCA devs agree, but that's the way the script was made to work. Personally I just tend to pull my best +moxie gear when I'm running SC and as that generally doubles my base moxie, it does make me massively over-levelled in a delightful way.

Oh, well I guess. It seems like, if you're wearing +Moxie gear then the location selection should handle itself based on however much moxie you end up with. Which might include items of the month in softcore, and maybe you're in softcore and have no items of the month. Or maybe you have an astral pet, or anything like that.

Specifically being in hardcore or not doesn't seem like it should be a factor either way when it comes to safe-moxie.

I'll just reset the character into hardcore and run it and see what happens from there I guess.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Specifically being in hardcore or not doesn't seem like it should be a factor either way when it comes to safe-moxie.

Softcore can easily have roughly infinite MP to kill monsters with autohit skills. Trying to do that in hardcore doesn't work so well when you kill 2 monsters and have no MP left, then you spend all your meat for more MP, then you have no meat left after 20 turns.

Winterbay

The point is that this script was designed with HC in mind and any additions for softcore has been just that. The first implementation of softcore was to do 1 dayy casual runs which I think is where the "softcore can handle anything" comes from.

Lokathor

Softcore can easily have roughly infinite MP to kill monsters with autohit skills. Trying to do that in hardcore doesn't work so well when you kill 2 monsters and have no MP left, then you spend all your meat for more MP, then you have no meat left after 20 turns.

Perhaps I'm unclear on what "safe moxie" is. I assumed that it was just only adventuring in a location if all the mobs in that location had a "moxie required for no hit" value equal to or less than your own moxie. In that situation, your MP total during combat isn't even a factor (assuming you can win inside of 30 rounds with auto-attack).

Or does safe-moxie also try to factor in things like you winning initiative and then one-shotting or de-leveling the mob?

Winterbay

"safe moxie" is as you say "you cannot get hit by anything other than crits". But if you have basically unlimited amounts of MP (which is generally the case in softcore) you can oneshot most monsters with big spell or skills without them killing you and as such safe moxie is rather moot since you won't get killed anyway. The script assumes that this is the case, but you can set it to "play softcore as hardcore" to get around. Or at least I think that's what that setting does.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
And in the stupid questions department...

What is the preferred/official/supported relay script to view and edit bccAscend variables? I have both relay_bumSeMan0.3.ash and bUMRATSv0.14.ash in my scripts directory. I think the former is older but I kept it around because it is a cleaner display and one less click to get to the functionality I want. (Cleaner display means the font and font size are more to my liking and I am not motivated enough to figure out how to tweak those for the latter). Neither has been updated recently.

If there is an official/supported solution then I will switch to using only that and then make a feature request that the display be sorted on variable name, by default or by option.

Thanks.

Winterbay

I think you can remove both those. There should be a relay_bumcheekascend script installed when checking out BCA which relies on a data file containing all the available settings. The script itselrf does not get updated, only the data fiile.

Lokathor

But if you have basically unlimited amounts of MP (which is generally the case in softcore) you can oneshot most monsters with big spell or skills without them killing you and as such safe moxie is rather moot since you won't get killed anyway.

That sounds like a reason that the player should be able to turn off safe-moxie if they want, but not a reason that the safe-moxie calculation should change what it's doing based on game mode.

The script assumes that this is the case, but you can set it to "play softcore as hardcore" to get around. Or at least I think that's what that setting does.

I see "bcasc_doCasualAsHC", does that also affect softcore? Maybe the setting explanation should include that.

Theraze

Nothing affects safe moxie except for what I said. As I said, if you're in softcore, regardless of ronin status, you are expected to be able to handle anything. Every time. Also as I said, an argument could be made for only having that apply when you can actually go to the mall and have access to all your stuff. That is not currently the case. If people do want that, they should request it. Otherwise, softcore can handle anything. Period.

The other checks only affect whether or not you try to use your CCS and settings like that.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I think you can remove both those. There should be a relay_bumcheekascend script installed when checking out BCA which relies on a data file containing all the available settings. The script itselrf does not get updated, only the data fiile.

That works. bumcheekascend Settings Manager 0.1 Thank you.

Is there anyone else besides me who would like bcsrelay_settings.txt sorted by name?

Theraze

Is there anyone else besides me who would like bcsrelay_settings.txt sorted by name?

I prefer its current state where the list can be organized however you prefer. I could see some argument for refactoring how the list is sorted, but believe that doWarAs should come before the doSidequest entries, since that affects how and when you can do them, and I believe that having all of the war entries together makes sense. So I would suggest that sellWarItems (29) be moved near the doWar entries (2-8), and probably some more changes that are similar. Putting disableMCD (21) next to AllowML (41), fightProtectorSpectre (36) next to unlockHiddenTavern (49), 100familiar (1) next to defaultFamiliar (19), etc.

Crowther

I use bcasc_RunSCasHC for softcore runs, because it allows the script to optimize my outfits. It does a bunch of other things, some I like, some I don't. Having enough customization to cover everyone perfectly would make quite a mess. I just make sure I eat pies for keys before BCA goes to the daily dungeon (for example). I've been overriding safe moxie in hardcore and softcore, since before that option officially existed. It can be expensive, but with WHAM and a full skill set it usually isn't a problem even with +ML turned on.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I prefer its current state where the list can be organized however you prefer. I could see some argument for refactoring how the list is sorted, but believe that doWarAs should come before the doSidequest entries, since that affects how and when you can do them, and I believe that having all of the war entries together makes sense. So I would suggest that sellWarItems (29) be moved near the doWar entries (2-8), and probably some more changes that are similar. Putting disableMCD (21) next to AllowML (41), fightProtectorSpectre (36) next to unlockHiddenTavern (49), 100familiar (1) next to defaultFamiliar (19), etc.

I agree we can certainly reorder and rewrite the file to our own preferences. Past experience suggests that SVN merge will not be happy, however, and require manual intervention when an update is pushed. If my preference represents any kind of majority opinion (which at the moment it certainly does not) then the manual merge can be pushed off on others :) If anyone suitably versed in HTML felt like rewriting the table so the integer value was displayed and the number and name columns were sortable that would also work for both of us.

I ask because I know the preference names I am looking for and it is much harder to find them in what appears to be a randomly ordered list because the person who organized it is not thinking the way I do.

Sounds like I should just bite the SVN merge bullet, though.

bumcheekcity

Trying to do the desert quest bit at the moment - is there a way of knowing if you've used the stone rose, etc. yet in an ascension?

Bale

Minion
PHP:
int gnasirProgress = get_property("gnasirProgress").to_int();
if((gnasirProgress & 1) == 0)
	print("You need to give Gnasir a stone rose");
if((gnasirProgress & 2) == 0)
	print("You need to give Gnasir a can of black paint");
if((gnasirProgress & 4) == 0)
	print("You need to give Gnasir a killing jar");
if((gnasirProgress & 8) == 0)
	print("You need to give Gnasir 15 worm-riding manual pages");
if((gnasirProgress & 16) == 0)
	print("You need to ride the worm!");

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Sounds like I should just bite the SVN merge bullet, though.

I was writing under the incorrect assumption that the bcc datafiles were updated via SVN, which is aware of local changes, rather than by some other means which blows away local changes without warning.

So this gets converted into a request to migrate data file management into SVN.

Thanks.

Cone_of_Cold

So I logged in on an account which I haven't played in a while (and certainly haven't ran this script on in a while) which is currently SC level 8 with 675 turns of ronin left and on the trapper quest. When I run the new bumcheekcend.ash it gets stuck in an infinite loop of repeatedly attempting to "Getting the Ballroom Key" only to fail with the message "You can't hit anything there."

Any advice?