Modifier Maximizer

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Not that it shouldn't be removed, but I believe it's technically possible to acquire an outrageous sombrero from someone that put it in the mall before it became untradeable. It doesn't show up in mall searches, but I bet if you knew what store to look in you could buy it for something like 3m.

Bale

Minion
Bale: if you don't want the Maximizer to suggest things that would have side-effects such as losing HP, tell it so! For example:
maximize moxie, 0.01 maximum HP <your current HP> min

That's wonderful, but I'd still like to be able to use it's output in a ASH script.

Spiny

Unable to duplicate; with all the ingredients but lacking the skill, it's showing up as "acquire & eat" for me.

Ok, I put all the sea veggies into the mall store and it still says "eat 1 tempura broccoli," but this is a bigger issue now that I've had some sleep and am looking at this more carefully.

Maximizer says the following when searching for on-hand item drop:

Code:
use 1 glimmering raven feather // I don't have one, I do have a gong
eat 1 honey-dew // I don't have one, I do have absinthe
eat 1 bowl of bounty o's // I don't have any, I do have filthy lucre
drink 1 oreille divisee brandy // I don't have any, I do have filthy lucre
eat 1 tempura broccoli // I don't have any, can't make with no skill/ingredients

The above items are all grayed out, so maximizer knows I can't consume them, but is falsely thinking I have them.

I am at 15/15 fullness, 19/19 booze, and 15/15 spleen values atm.

I had my friend test this. She is 19/19 drunk but hasn't eaten or done spleen yet. The same thing happened to her with the oreille divisee brandy. She doesn't have any, it's grayed out, but it says drink rather than acquire and drink.

So this is a case of the fullness checker needing a little tweaking.

-Spiny

Edit: Same situation, different items searching for meat drop, so it's definitely due to being at max consumption levels that is changing from "acquire & eat/drink/use" to just "eat/drink/use" and grayed out. The option to acquire should remain, but the eat/drink/use should be disabled when at max/unsafe consumption levels.

Last edited:

jasonharper

Developer
If an item is grayed out due to a consumption limit, it isn't further checked for acquirability - I'm certainly not going to waste a Mall price lookup on something you couldn't actually use, for example. I considered it important to have such items visible even without the "include everything" option checked, as an indication of what more you'd be able to do if you waited for rollover, but that may need to be rethought.

Spiny

If an item is grayed out due to a consumption limit, it isn't further checked for acquirability - I'm certainly not going to waste a Mall price lookup on something you couldn't actually use, for example. I considered it important to have such items visible even without the "include everything" option checked, as an indication of what more you'd be able to do if you waited for rollover, but that may need to be rethought.

Ok, don't mind me. I'll just go forward with the understanding that if it's grayed out and I can't use it, it doesn't matter whether I have it or not. That's cool :) I was hung up on the lack of an acquire link in regards to items I didn't have, despite the grayed outness for lack of consumption room. But you're right, if I can't use it right now, who cares if I have it or not.

-Spiny

cakyrespa

I would second the ability to have it in a script, it would be sweet to be able to say: if (maximize("1 stench res")) {} and then go adventure in the caves.

Also, could you make an option for not pulling from the closet? Or at least an option I could use from, say, scripts, that would turn that off. With a bunch of the other scripts, I put items I want to keep for later but don't want to be considered in the closet. One drawback of being in hardcore all the time, but it keeps wanting to put on the stainless steel scarf and I don't want that +ML quite at this point.

Other than that, it is an awesome feature for finding all those little numbers that I missed (apparently I missed +20 Mus in my current SC ascension).

Bale

Minion
I would second the ability to have it in a script, it would be sweet to be able to say: if (maximize("1 stench res")) {} and then go adventure in the caves.
Actually you can use cli_execute("maximize stench res"); You just can't do anything with its output, so you'd have to test your resultant outfit and make sure you got your stench resistance...

Yeah, it's a PITA.

jasonharper

Developer
You can use "maximize stench res, 1 min", and it will generate an error (which you can capture as the return value of cli_execute) if it wasn't able to achieve that.

I was assuming that it would honor the preference for not auto-retrieving from the closet, but now that you mention it, that doesn't seem to be working right.

You might also be able to keep it from suggesting your SS scarf by giving a negative weight to ML.

cakyrespa

You can use "maximize stench res, 1 min", and it will generate an error (which you can capture as the return value of cli_execute) if it wasn't able to achieve that.

That worked out perfectly for me. Got a chance to mess with it and play with a location-specific maximizer script to work for the few areas that I'm trying out. It is also interesting to see how bad my gear choices were. :)

You might also be able to keep it from suggesting your SS scarf by giving a negative weight to ML.

Yeah, ", -ml" at the end seems to fix that up nicely.

xKiv

Could the mazimizer display historical mall values for items, now that we have them?
And [optionally?] (known) amounts of that item in inventory/closet/pullable (separate values, not the sum) - that's also factors in my decision of which items to actually use.

Bale

Minion
Could the mazimizer display historical mall values for items, now that we have them?
Seconded. And the Basement Helper should do this also.

Actually though the logic should be more like...

Code:
if(historical_age(it)>2) price = mall_price(it);
else price = historical_price(it);

Get a new price if the historical price is too outdated, otherwise use the old data.

Bale

Minion
maximize hp regen max

Anything that can be modtraced can be maximized. Just type likely words into modtrace to figure out what you should use for maximize. If you're even close, modtrace will show all possible alternatives.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but it I got this:

Code:
> maximize hp regen max

Maximizing...
2100 combinations checked, best score 268.0
Pulling items from stash...
Transfer failed for mesh cap
Movement of items failed.
Searching for "mesh cap"...
Purchasing mesh cap (1 @ 270)...
You acquire an item: mesh cap
Purchases complete.
Putting on mesh cap...
Equipment changed.
Wielding Chelonian Morningstar...
Equipment changed.
Transfer failed for polyalloy shield
Searching for "polyalloy shield"...
Purchasing polyalloy shield (1 @ 2,299)...
You acquire an item: polyalloy shield
Purchases complete.
Holding polyalloy shield...
Equipment changed.
Transfer failed for black greaves
Searching for "black greaves"...
Purchasing black greaves (1 @ 290)...
You acquire an item: black greaves
Purchases complete.
Putting on black greaves...
Equipment changed.
Transfer failed for headhunter necktie
Searching for "headhunter necktie"...
Purchasing headhunter necktie (1 @ 334)...
You acquire an item: headhunter necktie
Purchases complete.
Putting on headhunter necktie...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Boris's ring...
Equipment changed.

I guess that just maximized hp. I also tried - maximize "HP regen max", but that did not work. Using the actual tools exec selected button did work though.

Spiny

It maximized to mainstat. I don't know that modifier maximizer actually does maximize to hp regen max as in wear items that regenerate your hit points. Equipt.ash does support hp regen max though.

-Spiny

Edit: Hrmm, you're correct, in the tool UI itself, if you type in HP regen max, that will work. However as a CLI command it doesn't recognize regen max.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
A very useful feature that the Modifier Maximizer is missing is to exclude or include specific equipment. It would be nice to be able to maximize item drop -sniff sword when I am saving my unicorn stickers for later. It would also be nice to be able to maximize mainstat +poolcue when I need to open the library. And let's not forget the ever popular maximize mainstat +outfit Frat Warrior Fatigues.

tgetgel

This thread is for feedback, bug reports, and suggestions related to the Modifier Maximizer feature...

I just tried this in 13.5. Looks great. One request, or maybe just an answer: Can overcoming the pressure penalties of the sea be added as one of the options? Maybe it is and I just missed it.

Thanks for a great tool!:cool:

jasonharper

Developer
If you've selected a Sea zone as your current adventure location, the applicable penalties will be taken into account, and items that reduce those penalties will be included in the suggestions.

Note that there is no current way to request the ability to adventure in the Sea as a maximization requirement. For now, you'll need to manually equip some sort of underwater breathing gear, and exclude that slot from consideration (for example, -hat if you're using the aerated diving helmet).

Spiny

I'm very confused as to the usage of mod max in the CLI, as opposed to using the GUI tool itself.

Here's an example:

Code:
> maximize mp

Maximizing (1st time may take a while)...
8406 combinations checked, best score 1030.0
Putting on Hodgman's porkpie hat...
Equipment changed.
Wielding velcro paddle ball...
Equipment changed.
Holding vinyl shield...
Equipment changed.
Putting on letterman's jacket...
Equipment changed.
Putting on hardened slime pants...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Hodgman's bow tie...
Equipment changed.
Putting on vinyl boots...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Chester's sunglasses...
Equipment changed.

The above example is maximizing to my mainstat, not to mp. I thought well maybe mp needs to be MP.

Code:
> maximize MP

Maximizing...
5382 combinations checked, best score 1823.0
Wielding teflon spatula...
Equipment changed.
Holding red wagon...
Equipment changed.
Putting on sea salt scrubs...
Equipment changed.
Putting on bullet-proof corduroys...
Equipment changed.
Putting on hopping socks...
Equipment changed.
Putting on hardened slime belt...
Equipment changed.
That seems right. What happens if I do mp again?
Code:
> maximize mp

Maximizing...
3588 combinations checked, best score 1823.0

Seems I'm wearing the correct outfit already. mp = MP.
So let me start over. /outfit item
Code:
08/25/09 04:54 PM - Equipping "item farming (#295)".

> maximize mp

Maximizing...
8832 combinations checked, best score 1823.0
Putting on Hodgman's porkpie hat...
Equipment changed.
Wielding teflon spatula...
Equipment changed.
Holding red wagon...
Equipment changed.
Putting on sea salt scrubs...
Equipment changed.
Putting on bullet-proof corduroys...
Equipment changed.
Putting on hopping socks...
Equipment changed.
Putting on Hodgman's bow tie...
Equipment changed.
Putting on hardened slime belt...
Equipment changed.

That worked right.

Further testing, fresh login and maximize mp resulted in what maximize mainstat would yield. Logged out and back in and did maximize MP and got proper gear for maximizing MP. I changed outfits, did maximize mp and got gear for maximize mp.. so I'm just confused... why does maximize mp in the CLI sometimes give me what I expect and sometimes not?

-Spiny