Bug - Fixed Web site's daily .exe build using an outdated version.

Kailen4

I haven't seen any other mention of this, or see anywhere else to put it really. But the new web site's current nightly .exe build is using 16.0 r12585, where as the current revision is 16.8 r15750.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Hrm how are you checking the version? Jenkins says it has uploaded the latest version about 15 hours ago.

Kailen4

You realize that it says the version right on the top, right? And in the Copyright notice. Heck, that one even says when it was released (May 17, 2013 for this build).

Try downloading it and running it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
What are you looking at? Not that I am able to use "nightly .exe builds", but nowhere that I am able to see shows me a ".exe build" released on "May 17,2013".

"Try downloading it and running it."

Try downloading it from where, exactly? Point us to a URL, please?

Edit: To be clearer, perhaps:

When I go to the "Daily Builds" page, I see a column of .jar builds on the left and a single ".exe build" on the right.

I do not see a "copyright notice".
I do not see "a version right on the top".

I have no idea what page you are looking at.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
fractalnavel is referring toKoLmafia.EXE from http://builds.kolmafia.us/. If I download and run it, I see this:

qNVIszO.jpg

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
That's because I'm a moron and forgot to change the URL from my test directory to the live directory for the EXE builds. This is fixed now.

Kailen4

Well, it is the 16.8 release now. Does this mean there's no more nightly .exe build, only the stable .exe build?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Well, it is the 16.8 release now. Does this mean there's no more nightly .exe build, only the stable .exe build?

I think the build process for .exe files just doesn't include adding the revision maybe?

I would try checking on that myself, but I just reinstalled Windows (picked up an SSD) and the exe won't run for me, even though the jar will and I have NetBeans running just fine (which is what I generally use to run mafia anyway).

Theraze

Is there really any reason to keep doing the EXE build? It just seems to be a less useful, less reliable crutch for people who, for some reason, don't want to double click on any file not extensioned with EXE. It works, at best, as well as the JAR and, more often, less well.

The Catch-22 JET EXE made sense because it was actually built differently. But that takes extra runtime files and it stopped building back in September, so it's basically useless right now.

Bale

Minion
Is there really any reason to keep doing the EXE build?

Sadly yes. I'd like to agree with you, but practical matters prove otherwise. We've seen people who cannot make their system run jars without a lot of tech support and others using Windows 7 say that they cannot put a jar on their task bar. Having an EXE build solves some people's tech support problems in an easy way so that they choose to try using KoLmafia rather than giving up on something that seems like it might be more trouble than it is worth before they even start.