Feature - Implemented Sleeping Near the Enemy

Pyren

This is a noncombat in the Knob Goblin Barracks that can only be obtained after you've learned the Dispensary password, so it would be nice if encountering it would let Mafia know that you can access the Dispensary.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Alternately you could just visit the dispensary. (Although that is unnecessary unless you got the password outside of mafia or lost your preferences.)

Do that once and mafia will figure out that you got the password already.

Pyren

Yes, that does work. My issue is that I routinely play on two different computers, so having it catch things like that helps smooth out the hiccups moving from one machine to the other.

Terion

I just have Mafia on a flash drive. Dropbox sounds neat, though from the mafiawiki description it sounds like you need to install something on each computer you want to use. With the flash drive, if I'm at a relative's home or at any random computer, I can use Mafia without having to install something locally.

I couldn't look at the dropbox site from here at work, as websense blocks it as "Personal Network Storage and Backup". Of course, it's a moot point here as all the KoL servers are blocked as Games. (Yep, tried the URL trick to force a specific server; www, www2, www3... are all blocked. First place I've been at that hit all of them; I can usually find one or two that aren't blocked.)

Winterbay

I couldn't look at the dropbox site from here at work, as websense blocks it as "Personal Network Storage and Backup". Of course, it's a moot point here as all the KoL servers are blocked as Games. (Yep, tried the URL trick to force a specific server; www, www2, www3... are all blocked. First place I've been at that hit all of them; I can usually find one or two that aren't blocked.)

Dropbox is as of yet unblocked at work for me which is nice... ALso, not to incite problems but have you tried entering the IP-adress directly rather than the URL?

Bale

Minion
I just have Mafia on a flash drive. Dropbox sounds neat, though from the mafiawiki description it sounds like you need to install something on each computer you want to use. With the flash drive, if I'm at a relative's home or at any random computer, I can use Mafia without having to install something locally.

You do understand correctly. That's the down-side to dropbox. You have to install a program wherever you want to use it. I love it because I don't have to carry it around, but I also don't ever want to use it on random computers.

Dropbox is as of yet unblocked at work for me which is nice... ALso, not to incite problems but have you tried entering the IP-adress directly rather than the URL?

Worthwhile idea! That'd be http://199.47.216.170/

Last edited:

Terion

Well, that's pretty neat. Yep, the IP address does work and I could watch their little descriptive video. I couldn't click any links from their page without being blocked -- I guess the links were getting resolved back to the URL and getting filtered, as I could get to the linked pages by using the IP/rest-of-url.

Now to check KoL's IP address... does Mafia have the ability to address everything to an IP rather than the URL? ;) (Remember kids, only play games after the work is all done... like right now, when I'm waiting for more tickets to come in.)

Edit: heh Not trivially; in vanilla IE, I can get to the login page using http://69.16.150.211/main.php (going to the straight IP gets redirected to a URL by the load balancer, and filtered.) However, once logging in, I only get info in the top pane and the chat pane; the character and main pages have the filter notice, and it also filters the chat window when I try to open that. A nice experiment for curiosity's sake, but I'm not so desperate that I'm going to expend more effort trying to endrun something that's there to keep me from getting fired.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
As far as the original post goes, RuntimeLibrary has
Code:
		if ( this.responseText.indexOf( "FARQUAR" ) != -1 )
to see if you learned the password. Checking for another string in the same block (such as "Sleeping Near the Enemy") would be straightforward.

Winterbay

Now to check KoL's IP address... does Mafia have the ability to address everything to an IP rather than the URL? ;) (Remember kids, only play games after the work is all done... like right now, when I'm waiting for more tickets to come in.)

I thnk so. Check on the second tab of the login window where proxy thingies and so are.

Terion

I thnk so. Check on the second tab of the login window where proxy thingies and so are.

Ah, yes: "Connect to servers using IP address rather than name"

Unfortunately, doesn't work for me. If I also have "Attempt to ignore login page load balancer" checked, attempting to log in gives the message "Encountered error in login." Without the load balancer ignored, I get an Unexpected Error:
Code:
Unexpected error, debug log printed.
class java.lang.NullPointerException: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.processLoginRequest(LoginRequest.java:414)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.handleServerRedirect(GenericRequest.java:1593)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1523)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.execute(GenericRequest.java:1235)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.run(GenericRequest.java:1126)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.detectChallenge(LoginRequest.java:142)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.run(LoginRequest.java:264)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread.postRequest(RequestThread.java:73)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.LoginFrame$LoginPanel.doLogin(LoginFrame.java:353)
	at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.LoginFrame$LoginPanel.actionConfirmed(LoginFrame.java:300)
	at net.java.dev.spellcast.utilities.ActionPanel$ConfirmedListener.run(ActionPanel.java:164)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Tried on several of the servers. Ah well, I can play KoL at home, and I'm sorry for derailing the thread.

Edit: Huh... spoke a little too soon. Decided to try the www7 just for kicks, and that did log in; however, while Mafia was able to get my inventory, it wasn't able to load my familiars or the character pane info (HP/MP, meat, adv) or my path status -- it says Ronin for 1000 but the character is level 42, well into aftercore. Relay browser brings up the character and main frames with the filter message inside them.

So, still not usable. No worries; this job's just a contract. I just had a great interview for a "real job" at a place I'd contracted in before, and I know KoL/Mafia works there, so I'll just hope that comes through. :D

Last edited: