Simple question about relay browser on OS X

angra mainu

i've been using kolmafia on and off for 3 or so years now and recently read that one can change kolmafia's use of the system's default web browser to another browser of their preference by entering this command in the cli (or editing the associated settings file):
Code:
set preferredWebBrowser=
and appending the direct path to another web browser or just "Firefox" (if one uses firefox). my problem is this; i don't use firefox and safari is my default browser, but i find that safari works terribly with kolmafia's relay browser and KoL itself and though camino plays very nicely with the relay browser and KoL, i strongly prefer leaving safari as my system's default browser. i would like to edit the aforementioned preference so that kolmafia uses camino instead of safari, but nothing seems to work. i tried entering the direct path to camino in unix, file://, hfs, and even windows style formats, one after the other (trying it in both case-sensitive and non-case-sensitive fashions) and relaunching kolmafia each time to no avail. i'm using a somewhat irritating workaround for now which necessitates my launching the relay browser in safari, quitting safari, launching camino and then accessing the relay browser's address with it. so, my question is this:

how can i set kolmafia to launch camino for the relay browser (and preferably everything else) rather than safari?

what am i doing wrong?

p.s. i tried variations on these exact paths:
Code:
\Applications\Camino.app
file://localhost/Applications/Camino.app
HardDrive:Applications:Camino.app
/Applications/Camino.app

p.p.s. thanks to the devs for an extremely useful and thorough KoL interface!

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I would try
set preferredWebBrowser=\\Applications\\Camino.app
maybe use \/ instead of \\, I know for Windows they always suggest \\ and not \.

jasonharper

Developer
Try just:
set preferredWebBrowser=Camino
I don't know if that will work, but looking at the code, it's the only thing that can possibly work.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I tried setting that variable like this:

set preferredWebBrowser=HD:/Applications/Firefox.app

and when I tried to launch the relay browser, I got the following message on my terminal window:

Error loading browser: /Applications/HD:/Applications/Firefox.app.app/Contents/MacOS/hd:/applications/firefox.app: not found

Emphasis mine. That led me to try:

set preferredWebBrowser=Firefox

...and it worked. So, no surprise, jason's suggestion looks correct. :)

alphacow

I used the "set preferredWebBrowser=Firefox" command, and it works, kindasorta. Whenever I click the "Load in web browser" button if Firefox isn't open, it will work just fine; it will launch the browser and point it to the right page. However, if Firefox is already open, it will try to open another instance of Firefox and then die with the error message

Code:
Close Firefox

A copy of firefox is already open. Only one copy of Firefox may be open at a time.

Any idea how to fix that? I.e., how to get it to recognize that firefox is open and that it should use just open a new window in the existing version?

Relevant details:
* The same behavior happens when clicking on someone's name in chat; if FF is closed, it opens nicely; if already open, it dies with same error message.
* Before I have every used the "set preferredWebBrowser" command, this didn't happen. Now, even if I try to switch back to Safari (set pref...=Safari) the same behavior happens... it will try to open a new instance of safari each time I click something.

dangerpin

Sounds like an issue with your firefox profile becoming locked.

I'm no Mac guy but I've been told you can launch Firefox "profile manager" with "{full path} firefox -ProfileManager "
Create a new profile named (for example), "MafiaDebug". Exit the Firefox profile manager.
Set Mafia to use the profile "Browser Path", mentioned above. Update it to the full path to Firefox with the suffix of "-P "ProfileCreated" (E.g.: "/full/path/to/firefox/firefox -P MafiaDebug")
Try again - a new Firefox window should open, using the newly created profile.

NastyPeasant

dangerpin - that worked for me. Thanks!
Actually, for me it simply opens a new tab in my existing browser window and logs in normally. Which is really strange, but at least it works.

Last edited: