Bug - Fixed r9981 fails to launch main interface, quitting after refreshing session instead

No debug log is generated.
I'm on Mac OS X 10.7.2 "Lion", running Java 6 u26, as indicated by java -version:
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03-383-11M3521)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02-383, mixed mode)

Fluxxdog

Same thing happening with r9979
Windows 7 Home Premium (Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP 1)
java version "1.6.0_29"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_29-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.4-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

r9977 does load properly.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I had to fall back to r9977 to get a working version although I fell back through Daily Builds and so did not try 9978 or 9980. What I did notice in all of the failures is that the javaw process (Winddows 7, Java 6) appeared to exit normally. It definitely disappeared from Task Manager and there were no error messages associated with the termination that I could find.

shabob

Same result on Debian Linux. Like Fronobulax - it exits cleanly, throws no errors in javascript or memory. It just dies.

Tom Sawyer

Same problem here. Backed up to an earlier version and all is well.

Except i can not talk in chat, still researching this one

Winterbay

Same problem here. Backed up to an earlier version and all is well.

Except i can not talk in chat, still researching this one

I've been using 9977 all day and it's been working fine, however talking in a chat channel that is not yoru active one (i.e. one you are listening to) won't post what you try to say and /count and other chat commands make the events-tab light up but not show anything (it is instead only shown in the tab of the active chat channel).

Edit: Typing /channel <message> in the active channel leads to the tab of the targeted channel lighting up but no message is visible.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
This has to be dependent on some nonobvious detail. I can log in with 9981 just fine. Using java version "1.6.0_23-ea" here with Windows 7.

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
Strange. I'm running r9981 (downloaded from the builds page) without any problem. The only difference I noted is that the chat window opened before the main GUI window.

KoLmafia v14.8 r9981, Windows XP, Java 1.6.0_24.

bleary

I was having the problem as well. Backing down to 9978 solved it.

java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03-383-11A511)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02-383, mixed mode)
Mac OS X 10.7.2

Lagorio

I've got the same problem. Currently running 9977 and that works, and I'm guessing 9978 works too, and that the 9979 build is the culprit.

java.exe -version
java version "1.6.0_27"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_27-b07)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.2-b06, mixed mode, sharing)

Winterbay

9977 works fine, 9981 (which I just tested) does not. It does indeed just exit without ever loading the main window (or any window for that matter).

Java-plugin 1.6.0_23
Using JRE-version 1.6.0_23-b05 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
Windows XP Professional

As an aside, anyone who can tell me why doing "java -version" in my command prompt only gives me "java version "1.1.8.24"" and not the other information I think I should be getting?

slyz

Developer
I managed to reproduce this thanks to a clanny.

In Preferences -> Main tabs -> Startup as Window, I can use r9981 normally if Loathing Chat is included. If I remove it from "Startup as Window", the main interface fails to launch.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member

In Preferences -> Main tabs -> Startup as Window, I can use r9981 normally if Loathing Chat is included. If I remove it from "Startup as Window", the main interface fails to launch.
I don't use Loathing Chat for mafia to load properly. I have Item Manager, Gear Changer, Relay Server, and Graphical CLI there, and my tabs are Adventure, Purchases, and Modifier Maximizer.

slyz

Developer
After testing some more, the problem seems to be with r9979, and happens when the "initialFrames" global preference is empty (when you don't have anything in "Startup as Window").

I'll try to understand what Hola did in r9979, but I can't promise anything.

icelight

As a temporary fix, I can confirm that adding something (Loathing Chat in this case) to the "Startup as Window" frame solves the problem in r9982, which crashes as described above with that frame is empty.

Winterbay

Interesting. I have "Loathing Chat" as a start-up window and it's still not generating any window, but instead exits the program.

ETA: Adding another thing (Coin toss game in this case) and logging in worked (no coin toss game shown though). Removing it, logging out, restarting and logging in again worked so it may be that you need to change a preference in order for it to work.

Last edited:

ungermax

I had the same issue, with openjdk6 and 7 under archlinux, and indeed adding Loathing Chat to Startup as Window fixed it. I wonder if there is a check somewhere like, if no startup as window, bail which was not being triggered when the foxtrot directories and lisences where there.