r25717 - Format the entirety of src/, test/. (fia/pull/50']#50) This was done with `./gradlew spotlessAp

Github Bot

Poster of Commits
Format the entirety of src/, test/. (#50)

This was done with `./gradlew spotlessApply`, followed by iterated
application of sed to deal with my precommit hook complaining (tabs
following space indentation as a result of commented-out blocks of
code...)

View on Github

PeKaJe

Well ... fun ... that just killed 25 of my 28 customization patches. Going to take some days to sort all that out ...

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Sorry! As I've recommended to others, I suggest merging origin/main into your local feature branch using the "ours" strategy, and then applying spotlessApply to get into a consistent formatted state.

Sample workflow:
Bash:
git fetch origin
git merge --strategy=ours origin main
./gradlew spotlessApply
git add src/ test/
git commit -m "Apply formatting to local patches in main"
git switch featureBranch
git merge --strategy=ours main

(You can also combine the first two steps via `git pull -s ours origin main` if you want.)

If you're keeping track of these via git stash rather than explicit commits in a local repository, then you'll want to use something like `git cherry-pick -n -m1 -X theirs stash` (sample stackoverflow post). Note that I've changed the strategy to "theirs" because once you've pulled in the mainline changes, `stash` is the foreign reference you're merging from.

Moving forward, now that we're using a consistent, tool-enforced formatting style, this should not happen again. I made the judgment call that I'd rather break all these non-mainline commits at once, rather than gradually ratcheting style changes and taking on significant review burden and adding cognitive load for the reader when working in an inconsistent codebase.

And, depending on the nature of your customization patches, I'd be happy to look into them to see which make sense to adopt as part of the mainline branch of Mafia itself, so you can drop the patches entirely.

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
Well ... fun ... that just killed 25 of my 28 customization patches. Going to take some days to sort all that out ...
Merge them into upstream and we'll handle them for you :p

PeKaJe

Git's very confusing to me, so I'll probably fix up my patches by hand and make them fit the new format and call it a day on that. I understand why this needed to happen and how it'll not be a repeating thing. I just thought it was funny that I spent a good bit of time moving to a new repository and new build method, getting that sort-of-working on this ancient machine, and then literally the next update (temporarily) killed most of my patches. On the plus side, it happened just as I go on vacation, so it's not like I have any other coding to do right now :).