Feature - Implemented pull enchanted bean from closet

stannius

As per the subject - before adventuring in the beanbat chamber to open the beanstalk, check my closet for an enchanted bean.

Last edited:

stannius

I don't know. I would prefer not to have to set that (I don't want it pulling other stuff.)

I would rather it abort and tell me it needs a bean, than auto-adventure in the bean chamber.

Grotfang

Developer
Do we currently stop you adventuring there if you have the bean in your inventory? Honestly am curious -- I have never automated that particular portion, and certainly nothing stops me from going there by hand.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Or I guess you could avoid putting your bean in the closet from he beginning :)

Well, I have had to get more beans several times because EatDrink elected to make me an enchanted bean burrito... But I don't like setting a precedent that makes a special case for some items in the Closet.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I agree. If you have items in the closet and do not have "use items in closet" checked, those items are safe. Period.

Winterbay

Well, I have had to get more beans several times because EatDrink elected to make me an enchanted bean burrito... But I don't like setting a precedent that makes a special case for some items in the Closet.

Which is why I only run eatdrink while in aftercore, so it doesn't matter :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Which is why I only run eatdrink while in aftercore, so it doesn't matter :)

Well, I have one character for the sole purpose of testing (at the moment) Ascend and EatDrink obviously gets used in run. The solution to my problem would be to dig into the "don't use" logic and either add the bean or figure out why it didn't work.

Theraze

Personally, since I'm in BM, enchanted bean burritos are one of the easiest "okay" food things I can consistently make from level 4 on... I definitely enjoy having EatDrink nom using them. Though if you wanted to try to update its logic to try to leave one bean as safe until level 10, that'd work. That's a scripting issue though, not a mafia one.

stannius

I agree. If you have items in the closet and do not have "use items in closet" checked, those items are safe. Period.

Totally reasonable.

Is there/can there be a preference so that mafia doesn't automatically adventure in the beanbat chamber? Or can we get a popup confirmation dialog like we have for "it appears that you haven't completed the untinkerer's quest. adventure in degrassi knoll now?"

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Totally reasonable.

Is there/can there be a preference so that mafia doesn't automatically adventure in the beanbat chamber? Or can we get a popup confirmation dialog like we have for "it appears that you haven't completed the untinkerer's quest. adventure in degrassi knoll now?"

Are you making a new and somewhat unrelated feature request?

Under what circumstances do you believe mafia is automatically adventuring in the beanbat chamber?

stannius

Are you making a new and somewhat unrelated feature request?

I suppose so. I made the classic mistake of proposing a solution rather than stating my problem.

Under what circumstances do you believe mafia is automatically adventuring in the beanbat chamber?

When I attempt to adventure in the airship for the first time after level 10. I can't entirely rule out that I have some script installed intercepting the request and adventuring in the beanbat chamber on my behalf. (I don't think that is the case, but I can't prove otherwise yet.)

slyz

Developer
From looking at KoLAdventure.java (lines 591-624), Mafia will automatically adventure in the beanbat chamber until it gets a bean if you try to auto-adventure in the Airship without a bean in your inventory (and if you didn't already plant one, of course).

I think this behavior is undesirable. It is fairly easy to guarantee a bean drop, so the user might want to switch his equipment, buffs and/or familiar before adventuring in the beanbat chamber. I also didn't see any "level >= 10" check.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
OK - to paraphrase stannius and slyz this is a Feature request to have a pop up confirmation before mafia automatically adventures in the BeanBat Chamber to get one. This occurs when attempting to adventrue in the Airship when the Beanstalk has not been planted. The precedent has been set by the Orc Chasm. Mafia will undertake the Untinker quest in order to open the Chasm but it does ask permission first.

Theraze

And here I was enjoying that it would unlock the airship for me automatically without annoying popups... The adventure/use bean similar (though costing adventures) to the listen/equip continuum for 8-bit realm if you're using a 1 handed weapon.

If this behaviour is changed, any chance of a preference so we can leave mafia unlocking zones that it knows how to automatically? I think that's a good default behaviour for the lazy, though people who are running optimally and who can't keep track of what they're doing in an optimal ascension would probably want it off.

StDoodle

Minion
I dunno... I've yet to meed a speed player who actually auto-adventures during a run they care about, except for maybe a short bit of power-leveling.

Theraze

So... why do we actually need to change default behaviour then if we know how and why it goes? If you want to manually unlock it, be sure to get/use a bean yourself. :)

stannius

And here I was enjoying that it would unlock the airship for me automatically without annoying popups... The adventure/use bean similar (though costing adventures) to the listen/equip continuum for 8-bit realm if you're using a 1 handed weapon.

If this behaviour is changed, any chance of a preference so we can leave mafia unlocking zones that it knows how to automatically? I think that's a good default behaviour for the lazy, though people who are running optimally and who can't keep track of what they're doing in an optimal ascension would probably want it off.

I agree that auto-unlocking is useful, so automatically using a bean is just fine. It's like automatically visiting Innabox for a screwdriver, buying the dictionary, etc. None of those things take turns. But automatically adventuring somewhere other than where I said to adventure doesn't seem right to me. What if I had less than 100% +items? Then it could be multiple adventures, when I might have wanted to switch familiars or equipment.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
From a philosophical perspective, there are at least two ways to look at this. One way would be to declare that mafia should never spend an adventure without being told to do so. This means that adventuring for the screwdriver or a bean should require explicit permission, either via a preference or a pop up. Another way would be "Do what I mean". In that case mafia has permission to satisfy the prerequisites for an area I told it to adventure in even if doing so spends adventures in another area.

My personal feeling is that I am deliberately ceding control to mafia when I automate so it should do what I asked, even if it is suboptimal.