Proposal: Remove "decorated" tabs

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
Hi folks,

We're discussing removing the "decoration" feature for tabs in the GUI. The dependency supporting them is large in size, outdated and unsupported (indeed, the code only exists in our repository as source, and Googling for the package shows KoLmafia's repositories as the first results) and we're not sure if anyone relies on them to an extent that would convince us to keep them in.

To see what your experience would be without them, set the following properties:

PropertyValue
useDecoratedTabsfalse
useShinyTabbedChatfalse

and then restart KoLmafia.

I'll leave this thread up for 1 month (until the 25th of February) to collect feedback and - unless there is a serious, unmitigable issue - will go ahead with the change.

Gausie

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
I personally use these, but I'd be okay with them being removed. The default theme has steadily worked less well over time anyway, so this would just be one more thing.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
I personally use these, but I'd be okay with them being removed. The default theme has steadily worked less well over time anyway, so this would just be one more thing.
Have you tried turning it off? I found when I did to get screenshots of the on/off behavior that if it's off, we get pastel tabs on multiple lines with a close button. I don't know if it adds functionality that we don't have natively anymore.

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
I have. With the Windows default theme:
Off:
unknown.png

On:
unknown.png

So it looks rather different.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Can you close those tabs when it's off?
Does it wrap or add a tiny scroll indicator if you add another 3 or so tabs?

Those are the only not-color-based differences I know about, although there seems to be a size-of-tabs change for you as well.

Can you elaborate on "The default theme has steadily worked less well over time anyway"? It may be that we have unintentionally made visual changes without much reference to what Windows does.

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
You can close the tabs if you have "Allow tabs on main window to be closed" enabled. This ignores the "shiny decorated tabs" preference, and has them look different again:
1643536511041.png

With shiny decorated tabs, it adds a scroll indicator for too many tabs. Without shiny decorated tabs, it wraps.

Default theme working less well:
1643536603701.png
Slight misalignment on the familiar icons, and hovering over the menus janks them to the right. I think this was raised somewhere, and the response was "It's not a FlatLaf theme so we don't care" (although the FlatLaf theme I'm now using has its own issues).

The graphical CLI can go crazy if a long string or HTML table appears, and sometimes the HTML display includes the wrong things (e.g. formatting everything, including previous things, as bold). This doesn't happen on FlatLaf. Also, the text is smaller on FlatLaf.

VladYvhuce

You can close the tabs if you have "Allow tabs on main window to be closed" enabled. This ignores the "shiny decorated tabs" preference, and has them look different again:
View attachment 10590

With shiny decorated tabs, it adds a scroll indicator for too many tabs. Without shiny decorated tabs, it wraps.

View attachment 10591
Slight misalignment on the familiar icons, and hovering over the menus janks them to the right. I think this was raised somewhere, and the response was "It's not a FlatLaf theme so we don't care" (although the FlatLaf theme I'm now using has its own issues).

The graphical CLI can go crazy if a long string or HTML table appears, and sometimes the HTML display includes the wrong things (e.g. formatting everything, including previous things, as bold). This doesn't happen on FlatLaf. Also, the text is smaller on FlatLaf.
I think at some point, I mentioned that if you click on the familiar, and had more than a few, it just showed a non-scrolling list of your first few alphabetically. This was met with "that's how it's supposed to work" back then. I haven't bothered to click on it since.

ereinion

I just noticed today that there is great big piece of white under the gear manager (and above the Equipment / Customisable tabs), which I think has appeared there as a result of turning the settings mentioned here off.

Is there any way to fix this if these settings are completely removed, or will I just have to accept this new look?

Likewise the non-scrollable list is an issue in my mafia too, but then again I can't remember the last time I picked my familiar by clicking on it in the sidebar.

Screenshot 2022-01-31 233947.png

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
I just noticed today that there is great big piece of white under the gear manager (and above the Equipment / Customisable tabs), which I think has appeared there as a result of turning the settings mentioned here off.

Is there any way to fix this if these settings are completely removed, or will I just have to accept this new look?

View attachment 10592
I believe that's an artifact of the "Metal" Look and Feel. Can you try any other L&F and see if it clears up?

ereinion

Select something else, like FlatLAF light,from the first drop down on that list.
Yeah, some of the themes there does remove the bar of white in the equipment manager, when changing it away from OS default, though after having looked at a few of them I think I'll just learn to live with the equipment manager looking a bit cluttered... FlatLAF light isn't a choice in mine btw, I dunno how the choices are generated?

Last edited:

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, some of the themes there does remove the bar of white in the equipment manager, when changing it away from OS default, though after having looked at a few of them I think I'll just learn to live with the equipment manager looking a bit cluttered... FlatLAF light isn't a choice in mine btw, I dunno how the choices are generated?
We hardcoded them based on the list in the FlatLAF jar. If you're really lucky, you might find the hidden theme Hot Dog Stand...

It's called "Light Flat", not FlatLAF light.

ereinion

Ah, yes, that one I do have. Unfortunately it makes the text small enough to be kinda hard to read (getting old😬) as well as making it kinda hard to see where one element starts and the next one begins, so I think I'll just stick with the default theme. Thanks for all the help though :)

VladYvhuce

View attachment 10590

View attachment 10591

It gets more comical if you've got tons of familiars like I do. I clicked on it out of curiosity, now that I'm out of Bad Moon and have them all back. They align ok on themes similar to the Atom themes, but it doesn't really add any functionality to the display. Just makes them easier to see. 🤨
Screenshot (216).png

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
It gets more comical if you've got tons of familiars like I do. I clicked on it out of curiosity, now that I'm out of Bad Moon and have them all back. They align ok on themes similar to the Atom themes, but it doesn't really add any functionality to the display. Just makes them easier to see. 🤨
View attachment 10601
This is off topic but in any case, why do you have so many favourited familiars?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I asked myself the same question last week when I ascended into a Hardcore Wildfire run - which is out of Standard - and was overwhelmed at my options.

Apparently, every new familiar I’d ever really liked many years ago and used to depend on was a favorite because I never pruned. I.e. add, but do not remove.

I trimmed about 70% of them.

I was shocked to get my Golden Monkey back in-run. Adventures from spleen drops? Inconceivable! 😀

VladYvhuce

This is off topic but in any case, why do you have so many favourited familiars?
Convenience, mostly. Simplest way to recall what all I have without bouncing between mall and terrarium is to just favorite them all and click on familiar icon on the character pane in the relay browser (I forget if this is a default kol, mafia, or Chit function). Also, the rare occasion where chat goes into discussions on certain familiars and stuff like what we've named them, it's more convenient to do that that, as I can look it up while in combat or choice adventure.