Feature - Rejected Prevent use of Absinth when you have a semirare coming up

slyz

Developer
Earlier today, I found out that I had used an absinth at the wrong turn, and the last turn of absinth-minded was on my semi-rare. I cursed my own stupidity of course. Later on, I had the pleasant surprise to see this when trying to use a dance card from the Item Manager:
(usable quantity of dance card is limited to 0 by Fortune Cookie)

I didn't know there was a mechanism already in place to prevent this sort of thing. I didn't look at the source, but maybe it would be easy to expand this to Absinths?

Well, at least to the last turn of Absinth-Minded, if not when there are 9, 5, 4 and 1 turns left. Having to go through the Relay Browser to use an absinth because you have a semi-rare coming up on a turn of absinth minded you weren't going to use anyway could be a hassle.

jasonharper

Developer
I don't see how this could be done that wouldn't prevent some valid uses of absinthe. With a dance card, there's no point in using one if you aren't going to collect the reward 3 turns later, but there are many different ways to make use of absinthe.

slyz

Developer
I think all the rewards (stats and items) make use of that last turn though, where the semi rare would be the most annoying, even if it could be annoying on other turns in certain cases (ie when getting items).

I originally thought the dance card mechanism could be easily extended. Absinth isn't as straightforward, so it's not the case.

Maybe a warning if your semi-rare is 10 turns away. Totally preventing it would not be cool. Mafia should still let you have the option to have control and let you do things, even if you can't think of a reason why you would want to do something differently.

You could definitely think of a situation where you might change your mind and don't actually want to get a semi-rare, and would prefer intstead to use the absinthe, for example.

slyz

Developer
A warning would be nice, but where? And if you really wanted to forgo the semi-rare, removing the counter would solve the problem.

I'm not really that attached to this feature though, I was just throwing out the idea. Many feature requests seem to be made because they look easy to implement by extending/modifying existing code, although in my case I have no idea of how the actual code works =)

Bale

Minion
I personally favor mafia helping to save me from some simple common oopsies. However, I don't expect it to know everything, so I need to bring at least some of my own comprehension when I play. I don't mind needing to check my counters before using absinthe.

That said, turn 10 of absinthe is always a really bad place to have a counter and it'd be cool if mafia knew that. It could give me a pop-up warning like eating without milk in the GUI, or give a clover-like warning screen in the relay browser.

roippi

Developer
Since absinthe is muuuch less of a thing nowadays and we have the option of pvping away turns of buffs, I think we can mark this'n rejected.

Bale

Minion
we have the option of pvping away turns of buffs

Funny thing about that: It doesn't change your absinthe counter.

PvPing away turns of absinthe minded will not change the turns that you need to adventure to get your award even though it will remove turns of the effect. Do not do this!