Feature - Implemented Preference (opt-in) to automatically update prices on login/logout

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I believe that he knows php. It is mostly time that is lacking for him.
OK. I didn't know whether
I'll gladly host any script like this as long as someone writes it for me.
was based upon time or skill and guessed wrong.

FWIW, it doesn't seem as if SourceForge would support hosting a running script and the file. Trying to kludge things so that mafia code always checked out a file, monitored and merged changes and checked it back in seems like way too much effort.

zarqon

@frono: I'm getting the idea from your talk of mafia's "core" that you may be misunderstanding this feature request -- there is no new functionality being requested. The request is for already existing CLI commands that update and spade pricing information from a remote server to be made opt-in automatic on login/logout for more useful and reliable results for many of mafia's price-sensitive operations, and in particular for users without the knowhow to configure login/logout scripts (the current way to do this optimally). Mafia's code would scarcely change.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
@frono: I'm getting the idea from your talk of mafia's "core" that you may be misunderstanding this feature request -- there is no new functionality being requested. The request is for already existing CLI commands that update and spade pricing information from a remote server to be made opt-in automatic on login/logout for more useful and reliable results for many of mafia's price-sensitive operations, and in particular for users without the knowhow to configure login/logout scripts (the current way to do this optimally). Mafia's code would scarcely change.
Wouldn't be the first time I have misunderstood something and I apologize in advance if the only effect of my misunderstanding has been to increase post counts.

If the requested feature means that the URL of the remote server has to be present in any of the files maintained under version control at SourceForge then I consider it core. I perhaps jumped to the conclusion that was required because the idea was floated as a feature request (which mechanically anyway, could only be checked in by one of a handful of people) as opposed to a suggestion that could be implemented by interested mafia users.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
As was said above yes I'm always limited by time, I do know PHP but not a great deal but enough to get by. Do we still want to do this then?

zarqon

Well, of course I still do! :) I'm pretty sure if you set it up and post the URL, one of the devs could add it fairly easily.

jasonharper

Developer
r8351 adds a preference to update & submit prices to this URL.

Scripts that benefit from up-to-date pricing may want to nag the user if get_property("sharePriceData") != "true", but it would be a bad idea to force that setting on the user.

zarqon

Woohoo!

I'll give people a few weeks to transition, and then will be deleting the script from my server.

Spiny

Just curious, that GM script Logikol Pricegun was feeding it's mafia driven data from Zarqon's site wasn't it? Will the scriptwriter need to be informed of the change before a bunch of folks who do use that script get bent out of shape? Or does this change not affect that at all? Or has that script stopped working? I haven't paid attention lately lol.

zarqon

That's a good call Spiny. I'll send a note to Adiamante and see how he'd like to handle the transition.