Bug - Fixed NPE in batch_close()

xKiv

for some reason, I recently (this week) started getting a NullPointerException in batch_close (namely, of batches in which something is autosold):

Code:
class java.lang.NullPointerException: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.RuntimeLibrary.batch_close(RuntimeLibrary.java:1469)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor119.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.LibraryFunction.execute(LibraryFunction.java:126)
        at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.FunctionCall.execute(FunctionCall.java:166)
        at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.textui.parsetree.BasicScope.execute(BasicScope.java:451)

that's weird, since the code basically does (slightly paraphrased)
Code:
if ((batched = LibraryFunction.interpreter.batched) != null) {
  for each entry in batched: KoLmafiaCLI.DEFAULT_SHELL.executeCommand(entry.command, entry.parameters);
  LibraryFunction.interpreter.batched = null; // this is the NPE line
}

That *looks* (without debugging - I should have really done *thar*) like something is setting LibraryFunction.interpreter = null, and the only place I can find anything like that is at the end of LibraryFunction.execute().

note: the autosell actually goes through

jasonharper

Developer
Do you have something like a chatbotScript running, that could have been invoked while your batched autosells were being processed?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Heh. So, rather than simply setting and nulling the global interpreter variable, perhaps we should save and restore the previous value.

jasonharper

Developer
That wouldn't entirely fix the problem if the offending ASH invocation is coming from a different thread. If it's just a recursive invocation that's wiping out the interpreter variable, batch_close() could save it in a local variable.

slyz

Developer
I have had the same problem debug log with my logout script, which ends with
PHP:
print("Transfering to store...", "green");
int num;
batch_open();
foreach it in $items[BRICKO Brick, gong, tiny bottle of absinthe, Game Grid token, agua de vida, prismatic wad, gatorskin umbrella, Pack of Alice's Army Cards]
   if ( item_amount(it) > 0 ) { num += 1; print( num ); put_shop( 0, 0, item_amount( it ), it ); }
batch_close();
This happens when I call my logout script via the gCLI:
Code:
[color=green]Transfering to store...[/color]
Transferring items to store...
Items offered up for sale.
Unexpected error, debug log printed.
[color=red]Script execution aborted[/color]

EDIT: no chatbot script or anything running. If no item is send to the mall, batch_close() does not cause an NPE.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20110722.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

AlbinoRhino

Do any of you who are experiencing this problem have any relay overrides active, in particular on the charpane?

I am having this problem when Bale's OCD script autosells or puts items in the display case and yes I have a charpane override.

edit: I also have topmenu, woods, campground & desc_item overrides, if those mean anything.

Last edited:

xKiv

I also have relay override on charpane (and topmenu), and no (other?) background scripts should be running at the time.
(i.e. I am not clicking anything; but I have open chat, in both relay browser and mafia's interface)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I do, I use Lost's charpane.ash.
I've actually started using that again. I've refactored it a bit, but it's functionally identical for now.

I've noticed that whenever I make code changes, if I cause a syntax error in charpane.ash (putting mafia in an error state), I have to do something to return mafia to a normal state (I've been using the refresh button) before the override will be processed again.

jasonharper

Developer
r9671 probably fixes the problem in relation to having a charpane relay override. There are still some narrow time windows where an incoming chatbotScript invocation could screw you over, but fixing that would be a rather more major undertaking.