Bug - Fixed Modifier Maximiser suggests impossibilities in hardcore / ronin

Darzil

Developer
Currently in a HC Boris run, Modifier Maximiser (depending on what I ask for) is recommending I use Jukebox or Trivial Avocations, both of which are unavailable to me in run.

Theraze

We've had some issues with HC (especially Boris) getting marked as out of Ronin. Check can_interact() next time it happens. Also, which version are you running, because that was fixed just a few days ago...

Darzil

Developer
Running 10822, not seeing anything else that makes it look like I am outside Ronin. Can_interact() shows false.

I went through all the modifer maximiser options, with equipment "on hand", not including effects with no source etc, not checking mall, these were the only two that showed up (which was good, as I recall a while ago seeing ballpit there, so clearly that has been fixed).

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Mafia doesn't check that you can interact before trying to use the jukebox (and taking 1 damage). At least based on reading the code, that's what it looks like.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Mafia doesn't check that you can interact before trying to use the jukebox (and taking 1 damage). At least based on reading the code, that's what it looks like.
I could make the jukebox code refuse to submit a request - and even generate an error - if you are in hardcore or ronin. But that will not make the maximizer decode to not show it to you.

There are problems with deciding whether or not to try using the jukebox:

1) Your clan may not even have one.
2) Even if the clan you logged into has one, you may have switched to a different clan this session and the new one does not have one.
3) You may have used the clan equipment in that corner - a jukebox or not - already today. You may have done that in a previous session or outside of mafia such that we don't know about it.
4) Other equipment in that corner IS usable in Hardcore or Ronin - the Klaw, for example.

Ah, that's rambling, but my point was, we can't detect or decide all the conditions before submitting a request to use it that would make the jukebox unusable today, short of visiting it and, we hope, being told "you can't use this today" before actually trying to use it. I don't know if KoL provides such a message.

Doing a Hardcore/Ronin check to hide or disable trying seems like the right thing to do for things like the Maximizer and Daily Deeds.

StDoodle

Minion
I probably should have mentioned such things when I made my clan info api.php request to CDM... ah well. (That was a couple of months ago, doesn't look likely, just made me remember is all.)

jasonharper

Developer
The Maximizer is mis-suggesting Trivia Master because it is unable to parse its extender command - no other effect has required the use of multiple items. A hard-coded special case for this effect would be the only practical fix.