Bug - Fixed Mafia Freezing

Little Ian

So lately, about 75% of the time when I log into Mafia I'll try to change a piece of equipment or cast a buff, and the program will take the action but then freeze up. It'll say "X successfully cast" or "equipment changed" but the skill or item manipulation buttons will be greyed. On the adventure tab "begin" is greyed and the program looks like it's autoadventuring-the stop now and stop after buttons are still available, but stop after doesnt function and stop now just causes the "KOLmafia declares world peace" message, after which no further action seems possible. Right now this is happening to me in 10021 but this has been happening intermittently since about the time that Trendy runs began. I'll add as a note that it seems like when I download a new build, it will work the first time, but then will fail on successive load ups. I was wondering if this was related to a problem i saw in a different thread about java processes failing to stop upon exiting Mafia but this does not seem to be happening to me. Either way, something seems like it's getting messed up on exit-I recently downloaded 14.8 fresh and ran it, worked fine. Downloaded daily build 10021, worked fine. Thought I had it licked, until the next time I tried to load it, encountered the same old problem. I'm running Linux Ubuntu 10.04 on a Samsung NC10 netbook. Any thoughts?

Magus_Prime

I'm seeing the same behavior under Windows 7 32-bit, Java 6 update 29. Once Mafia starts behaving this way my only option is to restart Mafia and try again.

Little Ian

its very odd because the problem doesn't always occur, sometimes it works just fine. incidentally though, i did encounter this problem with 10009 as well as some earlier, i believe starting around 9990-ish

holatuwol

Developer
Edit: Never mind, decided to do some refactoring around how displays are enabled/disabled. See r10033 for additional details.

Last edited:

Magus_Prime

Something is still amiss with 10043. I've noticed that something is causing the character pane on the left side of the screen to change from its normal green color to red. After that happens custom combat scripts stop working. When the color shift happens the only "fix" is to logout of KoL and restart Mafia. I'm trying to pay close attention to what might be causing it. This is with Firefox 8 and Java 6 update 29 under Windows 7 32-bit.

I just hit the link to "wormride" in the relay browser and the main window went blank. The gCLI window stopped without completing the action.

Code:
Encounter: The Sleeper Has Awakened
The Sleeper Has Awakened
You acquire an item: worm-riding hooks
Wielding worm-riding hooks...
Equipment changed.

If I bring up the mini-browser at this point it shows no pyramid on the map and if I check inventory the hooks are equipped but unused.

The Staff of Ed was uncreated at this point. It looks like the automation of the creation of the staff didn't fire.

EDIT: I manually created the Staff of Ed and used the Drum Machine and the wormride happened as it should.

EDIT: After adventuring normally for 5 turns in the pyramid the relay browser is now off in Never-Never Land. I've clicked on the "Script" link on the page to execute my CCS, which is Bale's Destroy All Monsters at the moment, and the browser tab has displayed "Connecting" with the little spinning ring for several minutes.

Here's the gCLI output:

Code:
932] The Middle Chamber
Encounter: tomb servant
Strategy: E:\software\Kol\ccs\default.ccs [default]
Round 0: Arbos wins initiative!

Other buttons in the button/links bar work properly at this point. If I click other action buttons they work. The relay browser picks up where it left off and I can complete the combat. The script button is now completely broken but everything else in the button bar works. This hasn't turned the character pane red. I haven't figured out what is leading to that behavior yet.

If I log out of KoL and restart Mafia the script button will work again, for a time.

Autoadventuring in Mafia still works. This issue seems to be relay browser related and is probably deserving of a separate thread.

Last edited:

Magus_Prime

10047 seems to have fixed the problem of the script button in the relay browser no longer working. I had approximately 200 relay browser adventures without a failure. Thank you!

Winterbay

In my case I just used it and it stuck after the first maximization. Closing it down and reopening it led to me being able to choose any/all of the options available but not before that.

holatuwol

Developer
I just clicked around and tried to equip stuff and never got anything stuck. However, I was able to get the UI stuck in a gray state from the special combat section.

I don't really see how modifier maximizer would be affected by the same bug as the special combat section since anything passing through maximizer *should* be wrapped in a request sequence (since it's only from the buttons or from a CLI command), but it may also fix modifier maximizer as a side-effect.

Well, if it's relevant, I was in a Hardcore Trendy run at the times I was noticing it. It'd populate the list of suggested equipment and buffs, and then stay stuck in gray mode. In a presumably unrelated bug, I also saw it list something like "reinforced beaded headband (+103)" when trying to maximize meat for the nuns. I know that's been reported before, just wanna stoke the fire. Hopefully I'll remember to try to reproduce it with a debug log going tomorrow.

Haven't tried 10049 yet.

slyz

Developer
The GUI stays gray when I maximize something. I'm in aftercore.

Simply pressing escape allows me to regain control.

Still getting stuck gray screens in 10049 when using the maximizer.

When trying to maximize items in the maximizer window, the CLI output is
Code:
Maximizing...
224 combinations checked, best score 324.7988
And nothing more. If if ESC (or refresh) out of the gray screen and run the same command it doesn't get stuck again.

Anytime I maximize something for the first time it gets stuck in gray mode. Subsequent requests in the same session (at least without any changes to available and relevant gear) do not get stuck.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Are you by any chance using maximizerMRULength greater than zero to get a Maximizer Most Recently Used list? (r10022)