MacGuffin 2.0 -- level 11 quest, automated

LordDerby

Okay, that makes sense... I have been editing in TextEdit to fix the issue with the recent knob change, and didn't think it was adding non text-only information.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I'm not completely certain the script still knows how to visit the lab and get the Mega Gem from Dr. Awkward. I had to do that manually today and seem to recall having had to do so several other times recently. Perhaps with the Knob upgrade, something changed?

r9229 and whatever version checking allows as the latest version of macguffin and zlib.

Theraze

It's just the same changes that all of us had to make several pages back when they changed the way the Mr Alarm choiceadv worked... I don't think I've changed mine in almost 2 months now, ran fine yesterday...

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
It's just the same changes that all of us had to make several pages back when they changed the way the Mr Alarm choiceadv worked... I don't think I've changed mine in almost 2 months now, ran fine yesterday...

OK. I missed that there were unofficial changes to deal with things. I place too much faith in scripts with both version checking and an active author.

EDIT: NVM, I saw previous post and edited it, thanks, I'll see how it goes. (Goblin references)

Manual control requested for choice #189? How do I check what number it is on the script?

Last edited:

Theraze

Also, if you search the script file for '189' you'll find that it does not contain this value, so where you'd like it to go is completely up to you...

shazbot

So I'm looking into the Mega Gem issue, and I'm a bit lost as to the original logic in place-
Code:
195    if (contains_text(questlog,"Fats, but then you lost it")) {
196       if (item_amount($item[bitchin meatcar]) > 0) get_stew();
197       else {
198          vprint("Meeting Mr. Alarm...",2);
199          obtain(1,"choiceadv",$location[goblin lab]);
200          updatelog();
201       }
202    }
203    if (contains_text(questlog,"lion oil, a bird rib, and some stunt nuts")) {
204       if (!get_stew()) vprint("Unable to cook up some tasty wet stunt nut stew.",0);
205       if (!obtain(1,"mega gem",$location[goblin laboratory])) return vprint("Unable to get Mega Gem.",-2);
206    }

As you can see, it checks to see if you bumped into Dr. Awkward (with the questlog lookup), and then if you have a bitchin meat car (why?) it makes stew, otherwise it just adventures in the lab and progresses the quest. And then it will only go about to get the mega gem if you have had the Mr. Alarm quest . So I made the following update, in case anyone else wants-

Code:
196       if ( get_stew() ) {
197          vprint("Meeting Mr. Alarm...",2);
198          obtain(1,"choiceadv",$location[cobb's knob lab]);
199          updatelog();
200       }  
201       else {
202          vprint("Unable to get stew, saving adventure in Cobb's Knob Lab",2);
203          return false;
204       }
205    }
206    if (contains_text(questlog,"lion oil, a bird rib, and some stunt nuts")) {

slyz

Developer
Whitey's Grove is unlocked after receiving the White Citadel Quest (you need to have made the meatcar for that) or talking to Mr. Alarm.

In both cases, though, it's a good thing to talk to Mr. Alarm first, unless you plan on pulling the stew.

shazbot

Whitey's Grove is unlocked after receiving the White Citadel Quest (you need to have made the meatcar for that) or talking to Mr. Alarm.

In both cases, though, it's a good thing to talk to Mr. Alarm first, unless you plan on pulling the stew.

I switched it to
Code:
196       if (item_amount($item[bitchin meatcar]) <= 0) {
197         vprint("Meeting Mr. Alarm...",2);
198         obtain(1,"choiceadv",$location[cobb's knob lab]);
199         updatelog();
200       }
201       if ( get_stew() ) {
202          vprint("Getting Mega Gem...",2);
203          obtain(1,"choiceadv",$location[cobb's knob lab]);
204          updatelog();
205       }  
206       else {
207          vprint("Unable to get stew, saving adventure in Cobb's Knob Lab",2);
208          return false;
209       }  
210    }
211    if (contains_text(questlog,"lion oil, a bird rib, and some stunt nuts")) {
so those will still adventure to get grove access while not having to adventure there if you already have access.

zarqon

At the time of writing this (admittedly a quick hack), I was under the impression you could save a turn by finding the Dr. when you already have stew. Is that wrong? The version that everyone's fixing has run fine for me for the last who-knows-how-many runs.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
The last couple of times I ran it there was a fight before it actually encountered Mr. Alarm for the second time. A portion of a session log is below.

Code:
[1495] Palindome
Encounter: Drawn Onward

palinshelves.php?action=placeitems&whichitem1=2259&whichitem2=2260&whichitem3=493&whichitem4=2261
You lose 135 hit points
You acquire an item: "I Love Me, Vol. I"
 > You've had the crap beaten out of you... attempting to find some more crap.

Visiting Relaxing Hot Tub in clan VIP lounge
You lose an effect: Beaten Up
You gain 126 hit points

use 1 "I Love Me, Vol. I"
 > Dr. Awkward discovered.
 > Getting wet stunt nut stew...

[1496] Cook 1 bird rib + 1 lion oil
You acquire an item: wet stew
Crafting used 1 each of bird rib and lion oil

[1496] Cook 1 wet stew + 1 stunt nuts
You acquire an item: wet stunt nut stew
Crafting used 1 each of stunt nuts and wet stew

cobbsknob.php?action=tolabs

[1495] Cobb's Knob Laboratory
Encounter: Knob Goblin Mad Scientist
Round 0: cafebabe wins initiative!
Round 1: cafebabe tries to steal an item!
You acquire an item: Knob Goblin seltzer
Round 2: cafebabe attacks!
Round 3: knob goblin mad scientist takes 66 damage.
Round 3: Fronobulax bleeps, "MEDICAL SYSTEMS ACTIVATED," and fires a dart into your neck. You suddenly feel much better.
You gain 44 hit points
You gain 44 Mojo Points
Round 3: cafebabe wins the fight!
You gain 66 Meat
You gain 2 Fortitude
You gain 1 Mysteriousness
You gain 7 Roguishness

[1496] Cobb's Knob Laboratory
Encounter: Mr. Alarm, I Presarm
choice.php?pwd&whichchoice=517&option=1
You acquire an item: Mega Gem
 > Black market found.
 > Diary obtained.
 > Oasis revealed.
 > Hidden temple revealed.
 > Hidden city revealed.
 > Cellar opened.
 > Palindome revealed.
 > Macguffin quest started.
 > You have already completed the Hidden City.
 > You've already revealed the pyramid.
 > Dr. Awkward discovered.
custom outfit melee

equip acc2 Mega Gem

equip acc3 Talisman o' Nam

My recollection is that I triggered the encounter with the Knob Goblin Mad Scientist in the relay browser after the script stopped, probably after making the stew. I got the gem manually, restarted the script and things went fine.

I note that [1495] appears twice and once out of sequence which suggests something else might be happening.

slyz

Developer
Talking to Mr Alarm lets stew ingredients have a much higher drop rate, but if you meet him the first time with the stew you don't have to talk to him a second time.

I can't do the maths, but in HC you can possibly guarantee the drops after talking to him the first time, so it's generally worth it. In softcore, where you can pull the stew (or if you somehow got the ingredients beforehand, like Frono seems to have done), you only need to see him once.

Last edited:

icefall5

I know most folks will be able to do this on their own, but just in case someone doesn't know how and they come looking . . .

The new Knob revamp changed some location values for Mr. Alarm and the lab key.

You'll get errors like these -
Bad location value: "goblin kitchen" (macguffin.ash, line 183)
Bad location value: "goblin lab" (macguffin.ash, line 199)
Bad location value: "goblin laboratory" (macguffin.ash, line 205)

To fix, go to your scripts directory, open macguffin.ash and go to the line indicated.
Replace references to the kitchen with Knob Kitchens and references to the lab with Knob Laboratory

If you didn't update your mafia build to the latest this won't fix anything at all and you'll feel silly if you ask about it later, so go ahead and verify that as well while you are thinking about it. : )

So, just to confirm that I'm not completely stupid, I simply need to replace the first appropriate location with "knob kitchen" and the second and third both with "knob laboratory"? I did that and it removed the errors, but I don't want to burn all of my adventures if I broke something.

Are there any other changes that I should make?

Cheese Loaf

Conditions satisfied after 1 adventures.
Out of adventures.
Oasis revealed.
Hidden temple revealed.
Hidden city revealed.

I keep getting 'out of adventures' aborts. Started a few days ago in beecore. Any thoughts? I've got something like 70 adv left. Happens every few turns with the script now.

slyz

Developer
This happens because a patch I submitted (that was added in r9342). See here if you want more details.

I proposed another solution, but I'm waiting for a real dev to have a look at it before it is committed.

In the meanwhile, using an older build should avoid the problem. Or, if you can, you should compile Mafia yourself with the patch posted here, and see if everything works.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Attached is the version I am running. It incorporates the name changes from goblin to Cobb's Knob and clears conditions before looking for Dr. A. I am not convinced my version correctly gets the Mega-Gem automagically but I am hoping that zarqon will address all of these points when his laptop is better. I'm posting as a public service in response to this thread.

Attachments

• macguffin.ash
    17 KB · Views: 40

Bale

Minion
zarqon, would it be acceptable for a minion to attach fonobulax's version (with a comment in the script's first line about it being edited by fronobulax) in the first post of this thread replacing your official version? Just so that we can stop getting posts like THIS.

I know that you're busy with lots of stuff and not terribly focused on this script at this time, but it would help us out if you gave permission to let us make some fixes to this very popular script.

Last edited: