New Content Feb 2024 Challenge Path - Were Professor

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
r27848 does a lot for the Research Bench

- When you visit it, it sees how many rp are available and which skills are on offer

- wereProfessorResearchPoints is what the ResearchBench reports
- beastSkillsAvailable is the skills which are available
- beastSkillsKnown is derived from the above and is every skill you have already learned

I suppose that if you wanted beastSkillsUnknown, that would be (all skills - beastSkillsKnown), but that seems less useful than seeing which ones are currently available to purchase.

Here are the keywords we use for the 54 skills in those properties.

Code:
mus1,mus2,mus3
   rend1,rend2,rend3,slaughter
   hp1,hp2,hp3
      skin1,skin2,skin3,skinheal
      stomach1,stomach2,stomach3,feed
myst1,myst2,myst3
   bite1,bite2,bite3,howl
   res1,res2,res3
      items1,items2,items3,hunt
      ml1,ml2,ml3,feasting
mox1,mox2,mox3
   kick1,kick2,kick3,punt
   init1,init2,init3
      meat1,meat2,meat3,perfecthair
      liver1,liver2,liver3,pureblood

Those are the skill trees. The keywords are derived (shortened) from the argument you need to pass to KoL to research a skill; in full, "r=wereprof_rend1", for example. They are specified in "wereprofessor.txt".

In my first run, I researched every skill, and everything now logs prettily.
Here was my first Research Bench visit in my second run (today).

Code:
Visiting the Research Bench
Researching Osteocalcin injection (mus1) for 10 rp.
You spent 10 rp to research Osteocalcin injection.
Researching Somatostatin catalyst (mus2) for 20 rp.
You spent 20 rp to research Somatostatin catalyst.
Researching Endothelin suspension (mus3) for 30 rp.
You spent 30 rp to research Endothelin suspension.
Researching Synthetic prostaglandin (hp1) for 20 rp.
You spent 20 rp to research Synthetic prostaglandin.
Researching Dopamine slurry (mox1) for 10 rp.
You spent 10 rp to research Dopamine slurry.
Researching Galanin precipitate (myst1) for 10 rp.
You spent 10 rp to research Galanin precipitate.

Other properties set when you visit the research bench and we derive what you know:

wereProfessorLiver
wereProfessorStomach
wereProfessorRend
wereProfessorBite
wereProfessorKick

each of which can be from 0-3.

If you want to know if you have Hunt or Slaughter or whatever, you can look at beastSkillsKnown for "hunt" or "slaughter".

I created a ResearchBenchRequest class which will visit the ResearchBench or learn a skill at it.

I'm planning on adding commands that will use that request class:
- wereprofessor research will display the 15 skill trees as above, indicating which you know and which are currently available to buy, along with description
- wereprofessor research hunt will buy the skill, if it is available and you have sufficient rp.

We also need to track rp gained in combat for wereProfessorResearchPoints to be accurate without visiting the Research Bench

Given those - and the beastSkill properties - an ascension script, say, which wanted to automate buying skills could know when it can afford to buy the next skill it decides it needs.

Other suggestions are welcome, although this was a lot of work and I need to rest. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Work in progress - black is known, red is currently available, grey is not yet available.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 4.32.56 PM.png

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Not that it ever really matters, but if you only have 1 research point, the parsing does not work:

<p>You have 1 research point (rp).

Code:
> get wereProfessorResearchPoints

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Campground doesn't exist and does a redirect:
Code:
Retrieving campground data...
Unhandled redirect to    place.php?whichplace=wereprof_cottage
(debug log attached)
This catches my eye every time I log in. Simple fix: don’t visit the campground on login for this cass.
The Island Battlefield decoration is...weird when in beast form. The Organic Orchard is complete and is decorated properly when not in beast form but the decoration isn't visible when in beast form.
I saw this. I have no idea what went wrong, but I’ll investigate.
Thing is: I was able to create those items from the regular web interface / relay browser with no problems. Namely Acceptable Bagels and various flavoured winecoolers.
I want to look at this. Yes, Dramatic Range etc. are required - but if not in KoL WereProfessor?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 4.47.39 PM.png

wereprofessor research - shows just the skill trees with keyword and rp cost
wereprofessor research verbose - also shows concise descriptions
wereprofessor research items1 - researches specified skill if it available, you have enough rp, and you are a Mild-Mannered Professor

The PR is up for review.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
charpane.php indicates Research Points available as such

Code:
<tr><td align=right>Research Points:</td><td align=left><b>118</b></font></td></tr>

It would be nice to update property "wereProfessorResearchPoints" with this.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I have saved HTML for that and three fight.php cases for my next PR which will track Research Points without depending on the Research Bench.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
r27852 tracks Research Point gains from combat and total Research Points from normal and compact charpane.

The combat tracking would allow us to maintain a property with the monster ids we’ve done advanced research on.

If nothing else, I’d like to grey out the button - both on the fight page and the stationary button - if Advanced Research will no longer work for the monster you are fighting.

Question: double oculus gives you 5 rp, triple gives 10. If you got 5 with a double, can you get 5 more with a triple?

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Question: double oculus gives you 5 rp, triple gives 10. If you got 5 with a double, can you get 5 more with a triple?

No - once you use Advanced Research on a monster you cannot Research it again, no matter if it was a double (5rp) Research or a triple (10rp) Research.

It would be really nice to have a property that is a list of monster IDs we have used Research on.
Now I am setting my own property as a comma separated list when I use Advanced Research in my CCS.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
r27853 tracks monsters you have done Advanced Research on in the wereProfessorAdvancedResearch property. It's a (sorted) comma-separated list of monsterIds.

It also adds an "advanced research" stationary button - grayed out if you've already researched this monster.
It also deletes KoL supplied Advanced Research button if you've already researched the monster - just like KoL does in subsequent rounds after researching. Why bother wasting a round just to get an error message?

Lastly, since a WereProfessor can cook and mix non-fancy food and booze (which includes Cookbookbat food), we now allow it, rather than (as before) not knowing you can cook until you buy a range.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
any chance we can override the outfit rules?
I've been wondering that myself. It's KoL itself which generates an error when we tell it to equip an outfit, but since we know what equipment pieces constitute the outfit, in this path, we could simply equip them one at a time.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It appears that it is only the Mild-Mannered Professor who ignores equipment stat requirements. If I look at the Equipment page in Inventory as a Savage Beast, I see items greyed out if my stats are too low.

I also presume that KoL's "Your Previous Outfit" would be an issue for the Mild-Mannered Professor if items in it contained stat requirements.

Complications...

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Since only the professor form has the 1/5/1 stat limits, that makes sense, but could lead to interesting complications when you change from Prof to Beast if you had something high-stat equipped as the prof.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
I need to check after rollover, but I thought the Forced Magnetron Pistol allowed stealing (for science) on any turn, not just the first turn.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I just tested as a Savage Beast and KoL's "Attempt to Pickpocket" button only appears the first round.
When I am out of beast form, I'll give it a shot as a Mild-Mannered Professor.

Edit: tested as a Mild-Mannered Professor. Steal (for Research) shows on the first round, but, after I use a seal tooth, it does not appear on the next round.

Last edited: