bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
While I have my reasons and they are probably not very good, I want the latest released version of BCCAscend and not the cutting edge version that is the latest available via SVN. The conversation would not have even started if I had wanted the latest SVN version since I too run a SVN client and scripts and the like. Perhaps the real problem is the fiction that a release of BCCAscend really means anything. Perhaps everyone, including me, should be discouraged from using anything but the latest SVN version and links to SF be updated accordingly?

Unrelated to where to find the code, but I just finished a HCO run with 0.54. It made me get the lowercase N manually. I seem to recall that was not required before the new Orc Bridge stuff and wonder if BCCAscend should spend enough time in the Chasm to get the N even if the Baron is optional, assuming the current path requires a Wand?

Also, since someone else brought it up, I am reasonably certain that the combination of WHAM and BCCAscend failed to idfentify the spheres on this past run. It definitely did identify the potions so the failure may have something to do with what is considered safe adventuring rather than a failure of the ID logic.

If it is turned on in Custom Combat WHAM should do it for you as part of the SmartStasis integration. The only times I've had problem with BCA and the spheres is when the last spheres are dropped with no combats after it so that the spheres fail to identify.

hmm i'll have to check to see if all squares were burnt, but it seems like it could identify them as it goes and not have that concern. If it identified sphere 1 when it fought Spirit 2, sphere 2 when it fought spirit 3 and sphere 3 when it fought spirit 4 you wouldn't need an extra combat at the end.

Edit: just checked and i still have an Unexplored Ruins square that it didn't try to use to identify the spheres. Unfortunately I've already manually do it so I can't run the script and tell you what it says, but I can snag any variables you might need to help diagnose.

Last edited:

Theraze

While I have my reasons and they are probably not very good, I want the latest released version of BCCAscend and not the cutting edge version that is the latest available via SVN. The conversation would not have even started if I had wanted the latest SVN version since I too run a SVN client and scripts and the like. Perhaps the real problem is the fiction that a release of BCCAscend really means anything. Perhaps everyone, including me, should be discouraged from using anything but the latest SVN version and links to SF be updated accordingly?

It's the same question as whether or not mafia point-releases should be removed.

A point release is a release that, at that singular point in time, was hopefully fully working and known-bug free. On 2/10, all current updates were in on mafia and in line with 'stable' code. Since then, people have noticed issues with reusable dailies, single-use items, monster phylums, broken plurals, and an incorrect autosell/discard flag. So, for people who want the most stable release, should they go with point-release or hourly? *shrugs*

BCA is the same way. Decide if you want things to work as much as possible as of now or you want something that worked at some point in the past. Then you know if you're going to be using point releases or working off the SVN. :)

It doesn't mean that point releases should go away... just means that anytime someone complains about a bug, the first question should be... are you using the latest SVN release? It might already be fixed.

Winterbay

I guess one thing to do could be to post a post here with the most recent update message so you can decide if that is something you think it's worth to use the SVN version for or not.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
On versioning - I have absolutely no idea why I am willing to build mafiia myself and run cutting edge code but not do the same for BCCAscend. Maybe it is because I consider myself as part of the dev team for one, but not the other. Maybe because I run mafia on all characters but BCCAscend on two. Maybe I get nervous when I read things here from people with commit access that suggest something has been committed, might not work, and they are looking for feedback. I am content to use BCCAscend and not to maintain it. In any event, I now know the magic tricks for downloading either version and we all know that the procedure is not identical. As a general rule, I will always run cutting edge versions if I am aware that a problem I think I have has been fixed.

Speaking of which, I just has BCCAscend stop with
[1053] Hidden City (Square 7)
Encounter: Altared Perceptions
Unable to deduce correct stone. You may have to identify them yourself.

Mafia is set to ID stones but my CCS is WHAM. I'm going to manually ID them and move on but I can try again in a few days if there are settings I should run with to help provide info.

Thanks.

Winterbay

Speaking of which, I just has BCCAscend stop with

Mafia is set to ID stones but my CCS is WHAM. I'm going to manually ID them and move on but I can try again in a few days if there are settings I should run with to help provide info.

Thanks.

Could you look at what happened at the end of your Hidden City? Fights, non-combats and so on?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Could you look at what happened at the end of your Hidden City? Fights, non-combats and so on?

It looks as if there was an altar in the very last square looked at - lower right hand corner. It had 4 spheres, and kept searching for altars.

It found the Mansion, and the final altar and gave the unable to ID message quoted above. I manually adventured and ID'd all four spheres, restarted BCCAscend and it immediately placed the spheres opened the Mansion and fought the last protector.

If people organized software they way I would, which they don't, I would guess that one of two things is happening or perhaps they both are and they are interacting. One would be that something is deciding it is unsafe to use a sphere in combat under current conditions. The other would be that someone has decided it is more efficient to delay identifying any spheres until four are available. If the former is happening it would be nice to have a message saying that there are unidentified spheres and that it is two risky to use them in the current combat. That could either trigger a request to unconditionally use unidentified spheres even if doing so is "dangerous" and/or a flag that something like BCCAscend could use to decide to adventure elsewhere. If the latter is happening then I would first ask why waiting for four spheres is more efficient? Mafia will deduce the fourth sphere when encountered so a forced ID could occur after three are found.

Crowther

If I read SmartStasis::stasis() right (big if), custom actions like identifying sphere and bang potions will only be done if it's safe *and* if it's profitable to plink. I've also had trouble with things failing to identify, but not recently. However, I use a hipster lots, so stasis is usually profitable. I've also lowered BatMan_profitforstasis from the default. Maybe using an unidentified sphere could count as a profit?

Winterbay

If I read SmartStasis::stasis() right (big if), custom actions like identifying sphere and bang potions will only be done if it's safe *and* if it's profitable to plink. I've also had trouble with things failing to identify, but not recently. However, I use a hipster lots, so stasis is usually profitable. I've also lowered BatMan_profitforstasis from the default. Maybe using an unidentified sphere could count as a profit?

I think you read it wrong. In build_custom() (containing all those must-do-sometime actions) it has the following code:
Code:
  // identify spheres         
   for i from 2174 to 2177
      if (item_amount(to_item(i)) > 0 && get_property("lastStoneSphere"+i) == "" && get_property("autoSphereID") == "true")
         custom[count(custom)] = to_event("use "+i,get_sphere(""),1);

Meaning that as long as you have unidentified spheres it'll add them to the custom actions. These actions will then be carried out (in enqueue_custom()) as long as the monster won't kill you in 1 attack (if deemed profitable it'll also stun first which will make the enqueueing succeed automatically).

I guess if you run with lots of ML and lack a good stun then you'd be in trouble, but other than I really think it should identify them for you. But printing a message might still be a good idea.

Crowther

These actions will then be carried out (in enqueue_custom()) as long as the monster won't kill you in 1 attack (if deemed profitable it'll also stun first which will make the enqueueing succeed automatically).
It looks to me like enqueue_custom will never be called unless (to_profit(plink) > to_float(vars["BatMan_profitforstasis"])) is true.

EDIT: Or for huckleberry's.

Winterbay

From main() of SS (the similar thing is in WHAM):
Code:
   if (count(queue) > 0 && queue[0].id == "pickpocket" && my_class() == $class[disco bandit]) try_custom();
    else enqueue_custom();

This enqueues them unless you are a DB and the first thing is pickpocket in which case it performs it instead. That code-block you are looking at is for the stasis part which comes even later in the execution.

seen this happen a few times, just had it happen again so i figured i'd report. looks like sometimes based on safe moxie it'l try to go to Barney's Barr before the outfit is acquired and it ends up bugging out.

Code:
Need to Level up a bit to get at least 53 base Primestat
BCC: Maximizing ''
Maximizing...
32 combinations checked, best score 99.72
Conditions list cleared.
Condition added: Substats: 0 / 0 / 319
Cleared mood.
Set mood trigger: When I get Just the Best Anapests, uneffect just the best anapests
Set mood trigger: When I run low on The Moxious Madrigal, cast 1 The Moxious Madrigal
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Disco State of Mind, cast 1 Disco Aerobics
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Butt-Rock Hair, use 5 hair spray
BCC: Need less combat, brave Sir Robin!
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Smooth Movements, cast 1 Smooth Movement
Set mood trigger: When I run low on The Sonata of Sneakiness, cast 1 The Sonata of Sneakiness
Set mood trigger: When I get Carlweather's Cantata of Confrontation, uneffect Carlweather's Cantata of Confrontation
BCC: Need items!
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Fat Leon's Phat Loot Lyric, cast 1 Fat Leon's Phat Loot Lyric
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Leash of Linguini, cast 1 Leash of Linguini
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Peeled Eyeballs, use 1 Knob Goblin eyedrops
BCC: Switching Familiar for General Use
BCC: Setting the default familiar to your choice of 'slimeling'.
Putting Alice the Frumious Bandersnatch back into terrarium...
Taking Slimetastic! the Slimeling out of terrarium...
BCC: Maximizing '+outfit swashbuckling getup'
Maximizing...
32 combinations checked, best score 98.50 (FAIL)
Unable to meet all requirements via equipment changes.
See the Modifier Maximizer for further suggestions.
Casting Fat Leon's Phat Loot Lyric 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Fat Leon's Phat Loot Lyric (duration: 10 Adventures)
Fat Leon's Phat Loot Lyric was successfully cast.
Casting Leash of Linguini 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Leash of Linguini (duration: 10 Adventures)
Leash of Linguini was successfully cast.
Purchasing Knob Goblin eyedrops (1 @ 200)...
You acquire an item: Knob Goblin eyedrops
You spent 200 Meat
Purchases complete.
Using 1 Knob Goblin eyedrops...
You acquire an effect: Peeled Eyeballs (duration: 10 Adventures)
Finished using 1 Knob Goblin eyedrops.
Mood swing complete.
Restoring MP! Currently at 71 of 82 HP, 4 of 88 MP, current meat: 3962 ... Target MP = 36.
Purchasing Knob Goblin seltzer (4 @ 80)...
You acquire Knob Goblin seltzer (4)
You spent 320 Meat
Purchases complete.
Using 4 Knob Goblin seltzer...
You gain 45 Mojo Points
Finished using 4 Knob Goblin seltzer.

Request 1 of 50 (Island: Barrrney's Barrr) in progress...
You can't get to that area.

BCC: You aborted, so so am I. This abort may have been caused by a rogue condition not being met. If this is unexpected, please paste the CLI output, as well as the results of typing 'condition check' without the quotes, into the mafia CLI window now.

Tipmon

Hey, it still seems to freak out at the orchard during the war(the war just seems to screw this script up alot for me).

Code:
Level 11 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinprelim].
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinpalin].
BCC: We have completed the stage [hits].
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinspooky].
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinpyramid].
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinhiddencity].
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinfinal].
BCC: levelMe(125, true) called.
Level 12 Starting
BCC: We have not completed the stage [warstage_arena].
BCC: Starting SideQuest 'arena'
BCC: doSideQuest(Arena)
BCC: We have not completed the stage [warstage_orchard].
BCC: Starting SideQuest 'orchard'
BCC: doSideQuest(Orchard)
BCC: Maximizing 'item'
No outfit found matching: bumcheekascend
BCC: Nothing to fax according to whatShouldIFax
Mind control device already at 0
Cleared mood.
Mood swing complete.
Mood swing complete.
BCC: Getting the Hatchling Gland (1/3)
Conditions list cleared.
BCC: Setting goals of '1 filthworm hatchling scent gland'...
Condition added: filthworm hatchling scent gland
BCC: We should set the MCD if we can.
BCC: We CAN set the MCD.
Resetting mind control device...
Mind control device reset.
---------------
You have no libram skills enabled!
MCD: adjusting to 0...
---------------
Request 1 of 73 (Orchard: Hatching Chamber) in progress...

[1283] Hatching Chamber
Encounter:
Nothing more to do here.

You need 1 more filthworm hatchling scent gland to continue.

The text between the ---s is my between battle script fyi.

When I try to get to the orchard, it says that I have not killed enough hippies and the image confirms it, I have killed 0 hippies. This is the 2nd ascension in a row where this has happened so I just don't know :/

I am a level 12 Avatar of Boris so that may have something to do with it.

Winterbay

Disco Bandit.

You mean to say that you buffed your moxie to between 90 and 120 while your base mysticality was less than 25? Because that is, from what I can see, the only way that would happen...

Hey, it still seems to freak out at the orchard during the war(the war just seems to screw this script up alot for me).

Code:
Level 11 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinprelim].
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinpalin].
BCC: We have completed the stage [hits].
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinspooky].
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinpyramid].
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinhiddencity].
BCC: We have completed the stage [macguffinfinal].
BCC: levelMe(125, true) called.
Level 12 Starting
BCC: We have not completed the stage [warstage_arena].
BCC: Starting SideQuest 'arena'
BCC: doSideQuest(Arena)
BCC: We have not completed the stage [warstage_orchard].
BCC: Starting SideQuest 'orchard'
BCC: doSideQuest(Orchard)
BCC: Maximizing 'item'
No outfit found matching: bumcheekascend
BCC: Nothing to fax according to whatShouldIFax
Mind control device already at 0
Cleared mood.
Mood swing complete.
Mood swing complete.
BCC: Getting the Hatchling Gland (1/3)
Conditions list cleared.
BCC: Setting goals of '1 filthworm hatchling scent gland'...
Condition added: filthworm hatchling scent gland
BCC: We should set the MCD if we can.
BCC: We CAN set the MCD.
---------------
You have no libram skills enabled!
MCD: adjusting to 0...
---------------
Request 1 of 73 (Orchard: Hatching Chamber) in progress...

[1283] Hatching Chamber
Encounter:
Nothing more to do here.

You need 1 more filthworm hatchling scent gland to continue.

The text between the ---s is my between battle script fyi.

When I try to get to the orchard, it says that I have not killed enough hippies and the image confirms it, I have killed 0 hippies. This is the 2nd ascension in a row where this has happened so I just don't know :/

I am a level 12 Avatar of Boris so that may have something to do with it.

No, what has everything to do with it is that you were out of Ronin when you got to the war. This leads to the script wanting to the Arena by flyering the other quest areas and it does not check what is open or not. I have been looking at it since I found it and not been able to come up with a good way of doing it instead.

Crowther

I know BCC doesn't plan to support these challenge paths, but it happens anyway, so here's my initial thoughts.

It doesn't look like Jarlsberg will be too hard. Food and companions will be up the players. The spheres are easy to support. There's a strange part with the blackbird that needs fixing, but that shouldn't be hard.

The weirdest thing I think will be dealing with staffs that enable banishing, olfaction, and mega item drop. You need to equip them before combat to enable the right jiggling skill, then trigger it in combat. That's a bit like the hebo.

That's my feel so far. I've added the spheres to my copy and I just do the parts requiring special staffs by hand. There's an abort in the avatar recognition code, but that's no surprise and restarting the script makes in continue.

I haven't gotten to the finally epic combat yet, but I'm guessing letters don't need to be farmed.

You mean to say that you buffed your moxie to between 90 and 120 while your base mysticality was less than 25? Because that is, from what I can see, the only way that would happen...

hard to say since i'm not looking at it right now, but I suppose it's possible given equipment and things like Muschat and other buffs. I mean I didn't make it up, so if that's the only way it could happen I suppose that's what happened. Sadly I've progressed beyond it now (I got the swashbuckling gear manually) so I don't have the ability to show you what any variables are/were set to.

Edit: Starting ascension today and i have 66 MYS and 145 mox (without muschat) so it does seem possible the numbers outlined above may have been accurate at the time. Also, ran into this conundrum today (playing as a DB still)

Code:
Ascending Starting
Conditions list cleared.
BCC: Trying to check bcsrelay_settings on the Bumcheekcity servers.
BCC: We have not completed the stage [lair0].
Doing a check for Telescope Items
BCC: We have not completed the stage [lair0].
BCC: You have at least one razor-sharp can lid for telescope part 6
BCC: You have at least one baseball for telescope part 5
BCC: You have at least one frigid ninja stars for telescope part 4
BCC: You have at least one spider web for telescope part 3
BCC: You haven't completed the stage 'macguffinprelim' for the black pepper for telescope part 2
BCC: You haven't completed the stage 'airship' for the super-spiky hair gel for telescope part 1
Level 1 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [toot].
BCC: We have completed the stage [guild].
BCC: We have completed the stage [knob].
BCC: We have completed the stage pantry
BCC: levelMe(5, true) called.
Level 2 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage spookyforest
BCC: levelMe(8, true) called.
Level 3 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage tavern
BCC: levelMe(13, true) called.
Level 4 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [bats1].
BCC: We have completed the stage [meatcar].
BCC: We have completed the stage [bats2].
BCC: We have completed the stage [8bit].
BCC: levelMe(20, true) called.
Level 5 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [knobking].
BCC: We have completed the stage [dinghy].
BCC: We have completed the stage [manorbilliards].
BCC: levelMe(29, true) called.
Level 6 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [friars].
BCC: We have completed the stage [knobking].
BCC: We have completed the stage [friarssteel].
BCC: We have completed the stage [manorlibrary].
BCC: levelMe(40, true) called.
Level 7 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [friarssteel].
BCC: We have completed the stage [cyrpt].
BCC: We have completed the stage [innaboxen].
BCC: We have completed the stage [manorbedroom].
BCC: levelMe(53, true) called.
Level 8 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage Trapper
BCC: We have completed the stage [wand].
BCC: We have completed the stage [piratefledges].
BCC: levelMe(68, true) called.
Level 9 Starting
BCC: We have not completed the stage [chasm].
BCC: We have completed the stage [aboopeak].
BCC: We have completed the stage [oilpeak].
BCC: We have completed the stage [oilpeak].
BCC: We have not completed the stage [twinpeak].
BCC: We have completed the stage [peakitems].
BCC: We have completed the stage [peakstench].
BCC: We have completed the stage [peakoil].
BCC: We have not completed the stage [peakinit].
BCC: Maximizing 'initiative'
Maximizing...
60 combinations checked, best score 127.25
Cleared mood.
Set mood trigger: When I get Just the Best Anapests, uneffect just the best anapests
[B]Set mood trigger: When I run low on The Moxious Madrigal, cast 1 The Moxious Madrigal[/B]
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Disco State of Mind, cast 1 Disco Aerobics
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Butt-Rock Hair, use 5 hair spray
BCC: Need less combat, brave Sir Robin!
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Smooth Movements, cast 1 Smooth Movement
[B]Set mood trigger: When I run low on The Sonata of Sneakiness, cast 1 The Sonata of Sneakiness[/B]
Set mood trigger: When I get Carlweather's Cantata of Confrontation, uneffect Carlweather's Cantata of Confrontation
[B]Set mood trigger: When I run low on Fat Leon's Phat Loot Lyric, cast 1 Fat Leon's Phat Loot Lyric[/B]
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Leash of Linguini, cast 1 Leash of Linguini
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Peeled Eyeballs, use 1 Knob Goblin eyedrops
BCC: Need initiative!
Set mood trigger: When I run low on Springy Fusilli, cast 1 Springy Fusilli
[B]Set mood trigger: When I run low on Cletus's Canticle of Celerity, cast 1 Cletus's Canticle of Celerity[/B]

[541] Twin Peak
Encounter: Creepy Ginger Twin
Round 0: bruceleroy wins initiative!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 2 but KoL thinks it is round 1
BCC: Run_Combat() being used normally.
Round 2: bruceleroy attacks!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 3 but KoL thinks it is round 2
Round 3: bruceleroy attacks!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 4 but KoL thinks it is round 3
Round 4: bruceleroy attacks!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 5 but KoL thinks it is round 4
You gain 24 Mojo Points
Round 5: bruceleroy wins the fight!
You gain 61 Meat
You gain 6 Strongness
You gain 7 Enchantedness
You gain 17 Smarm
Casting Cletus's Canticle of Celerity 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Cletus's Canticle of Celerity (duration: 10 Adventures)
Cletus's Canticle of Celerity was successfully cast.
Casting Disco Aerobics 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Disco State of Mind (duration: 5 Adventures)
Disco Aerobics was successfully cast.
Casting Fat Leon's Phat Loot Lyric 1 times...
Selected target has the maximum number of AT buffs already.
Mood failed to cast 1 Fat Leon's Phat Loot Lyric: Selected target has the maximum number of AT buffs already.
KoLmafia declares world peace.
Mood swing complete.

as you can see, it sets 4 AT buffs in my mood which then predictably fails. Interestingly I've never seen this before and I've used BCA tons of times. going to leave it alone at this point in case there's anything i can help debug about the current state of affairs.

Last edited: