bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

Theraze

Does BCA still need it? I thought that 15-40 major releases back, BCA changed to handle the war itself instead of using Wossname.

Obviously if you're trying to get a Wossname, you won't want to do the fast run BCA offers, but... if you're trying to get Wossnames, your best results will generally be from manual runs, so you can fix whatever gets confused.

bumcheekcity

No. Part of the goal of BCA was to have it fully self-contained. It can be enhanced by CounterChecker, WHAM, etc. but it doesn't require anything else.

Rowah

The script never seems to use the astral belt. How can I force it to make sure that astral belt is equipped at all times?

Winterbay

The script never seems to use the astral belt. How can I force it to make sure that astral belt is equipped at all times?

YOu can't make it use it all the time, but if you set the bcasc_AllowML-setting to true it should at least get equipped. This should be combined with ignoring safe moxie and a good way to kill the monsters unless you want to either a) overlevel or b) die a lot.

Ioeth

Problem with the level 8 quest

There seems to be a problem trying to complete the level 8 quest once the script has found the ninja rope, ninja carabiner and ninja crampons. The script knows that I have these things, so it tries to go to The Mist-Shrouded Peak, but doesn't make sure that I have at least level 5 cold resistance before doing so. The cold resistance is just as necessary going the ninja snowmen route as it is when going the extreme slope route. Because of this lack of cold resistance, it is unable to complete the quest, as seen in the log below.

Code:
> call scripts/bumcheekascend.ash

******************************************************************************************
******************************************************************************************
Thankyou for using bumcheekcity's ascension script. Please report all bugs on the sourceforge page available in my profile with a copy+paste from the CLI of the problematic points, and your username. Ask on the thread on the kolmafia.us forum for help and assistance with the script, particularly first time problems, and issues setting it up. 

BCC: Trying to check bcs_aliases on the Bumcheekcity servers.
Ascending Starting
BCC: Trying to check bcsrelay_settings on the Bumcheekcity servers.
Level 1 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [toot].
BCC: We have completed the stage [guild].
BCC: We have completed the stage [knob].
BCC: We have completed the stage pantry
BCC: levelMe(5, true) called.
Level 2 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage spookyforest
BCC: levelMe(8, true) called.
Level 3 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage tavern
BCC: levelMe(13, true) called.
Level 4 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [bats1].
BCC: We have completed the stage [meatcar].
BCC: We have completed the stage [bats2].
BCC: We have completed the stage [8bit].
BCC: levelMe(20, true) called.
Level 5 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [knobking].
BCC: We have completed the stage [dinghy].
BCC: We have completed the stage [manorbilliards].
BCC: levelMe(29, true) called.
Level 6 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [friars].
BCC: We have completed the stage [knobking].
BCC: We have completed the stage [friarssteel].
BCC: We have completed the stage [manorlibrary].
BCC: levelMe(40, true) called.
Level 7 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [friarssteel].
BCC: We have completed the stage [cyrpt].
BCC: We have completed the stage [innaboxen].
BCC: We have completed the stage [manorbedroom].
BCC: levelMe(53, true) called.
Level 8 Starting
BCC: We have completed the stage [mining].
BCC: Climbing up to the Icy peak and searching for Groar.
Casting Moxie of the Mariachi 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Mariachi Mood (duration: 5 Adventures)
Moxie of the Mariachi was successfully cast.
Purchasing hair spray (5 @ 24)...
You acquire hair spray (5)
You spent 120 Meat
Purchases complete.
Using 5 hair spray...
You acquire an effect: Butt-Rock Hair (duration: 15 Adventures)
Finished using 5 hair spray.
Mood swing complete.
BCC: You aren't in a combat (or something to do with Ed which I can't work out), so bumRunCombat() doesn't need to do anything.
BCC: You aren't in a combat (or something to do with Ed which I can't work out), so bumRunCombat() doesn't need to do anything.
BCC: We have completed the stage [wand].
BCC: We have completed the stage [piratefledges].
BCC: levelMe(68, true) called.
Level 9 Starting

Winterbay

Indeed, if you want a quick fix do this:
1) open the script
2) search for the first instance of
Code:
print("BCC: Climbing up to the Icy peak and searching for Groar.", "purple");
3) on the line above that add
Code:
cold_res(5, true);

That should fix it.

Rowah

YOu can't make it use it all the time, but if you set the bcasc_AllowML-setting to true it should at least get equipped. This should be combined with ignoring safe moxie and a good way to kill the monsters unless you want to either a) overlevel or b) die a lot.

Where fore art this mystical "bsasc_AllowML" thou speakest of?

snooty

I haven't seen this in the recent pages, so, please forgive me if it's in here somewhere. BCA seems to be a little confused on moods for doing the trapper quest, also it's ignoring my default familiar preference. Ok, so, don't even have the eXtreme gear yet, and it aborts because I have no mp because the mood is set for both musk *and* smooth movements (cantata and sneakiness as well, but I don't have either of those). You don't really need a combat modifier when going for the outfit, you *do* need +combat for the ninjas. So, that's my two cents, the moods settings needs a spanking ;)

snooty

No, you just don't want +combat. The outfit comes quickly enough, I rarely have it take more than 10 turns anyway. That's not the issue. The issue is the schizophrenia of the mood settings wanting both + *and* - combat simultaneously. That makes absolutely no sense, wastes mp, and causes the BCA to abort due to lack of mp, no other reason whatsoever.

Winterbay

Which version are you using? Released version or SVN-version?

The SVN-version at least should a) only do +items and not +/- combat for that part and b) uses bumAdv() which clears the mood before doing anything so I'm not sure how that would happen.
Could you show some CLI-output or similar of when it happens?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
No, you just don't want +combat. The outfit comes quickly enough, I rarely have it take more than 10 turns anyway. That's not the issue. The issue is the schizophrenia of the mood settings wanting both + *and* - combat simultaneously. That makes absolutely no sense, wastes mp, and causes the BCA to abort due to lack of mp, no other reason whatsoever.

I understood your bug. I wasn't responding to that part, since I don't know how this script works really. I was just talking about the ascension relevance of using -combat for the outfit. You "don't really need" to use -combat for that outfit in the same way that you "don't really need" to use -combat for starting the war, if that's what you meant...

snooty

Winterbay, I haven't seen bumAdv, so, I really have no clue what that is. I just have BCA and the relay support script. I check the SVN thread everyday before logging on so the version I was using was r11498. It will be at least two weeks before I ascend again (time constraints) but if the error repeats I'll save the gCLI output. Although, if I remember correctly, it was just the standard "you're screwed because you have no mp so fix this plzkthxbai" type message, no details. BCA itself didn't realize there was in issue, it just kept casting smooth then musk in a loop.

Lostcalpolydude, what I mean by "don't really need" to use -combat is that you don't really need to at all, ever. The combat% is low enough there no one should ever have to use combat modifiers to get the gear, even bleeding edge speed, it's crazy easy to get with little effort. Perhaps the RNG is just exceedingly kind to me, I couldn't say. I can say it's never taken me more than 10 turns with 0 combat modifiers. Quite acceptable in my opinion and I couldn't give a rat's behind about "speed".

Winterbay

bumAdv is a function within BCA that clears the mood before setting a new mood meaning that things like this shouldn't happen. And by version I meant of BCA (there is a "released version" and a "SVN version" which is the steps between released versions in much the same way as it is for Mafia).

Also, that part of the script shouldn't, from what I can see, modify + nor - combat, but just go for item drops, and set the correct choice adventures.

I have two issues and I am on the most recent mafia SVN and BCA SVN

1. When it gets all the stone spheres and finds the altars in the hidden city part of the mcguffian quest it says it cannot figure out how what altar they go in.
2. I am still running AoB ascensions because they are fun and when it goes to fight the sorceress it fails because it thinks it needs a WANG and in Boris you don't need a WANG