bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

Theraze

Yeah, my own 'bcs_aliases' in the data folder is just the aliases list. My guess is that your copy of the aliases was newer than April 3rd, and wasn't replaced. Reverting the repository and then running svn sync should help to get the proper one in. Or just delete the corrupted files, svn dec, add the new file, svn inc.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Well my copy was dated this morning and identical to the version in the svn directory. I'll force an update and try to pinpoint a setting (my bad) or line of ash (your investigation) tomorrow.

I just tried using the relay script to change some of my settings and it appears to be broken, the list of options shows empty.

EDIT

nevermind, I found another script (bumSeMan) that does allow me to edit settings; regardless, I have another question: does the script support ascending as Ed? Looking at the code there are some lines that consider if you are in that path but the few times I have tested it it doesn't seem that it really supports it (won't add useful buffs to the mood for sections that need them, wont switch servants etc)

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Stench clover issue seems to be fixed and i didn't see the HTML dump resulting from fetching the aliases so my problems with BCCA seem to have been resolved. Thanks.

Theraze

does the script support ascending as Ed? Looking at the code there are some lines that consider if you are in that path but the few times I have tested it it doesn't seem that it really supports it (won't add useful buffs to the mood for sections that need them, wont switch servants etc)

Yes/no. Consumables, buffs, servants, etc are all on you. Consider that part the 'paths not supported' part of the script, and the fact that it will complete all of the quests automatically to be a magical benefit of randomness.
Stench clover issue seems to be fixed and i didn't see the HTML dump resulting from fetching the aliases so my problems with BCCA seem to have been resolved. Thanks.

Nifty. Thanks for letting me know. :) I've run into the stench clover a time or two before and didn't really trace out why, so thanks for pointing it out.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
bcca keeps to adventure in the bathroom to get Lady S's item. That has been long completed. I looked at the code and bcca is looking for things that are supposed to be in the quest log. They are not in my log and I don't know whether that is a KoL glitch or a new feature or what. I have tried to set the bcca variable to the current ascension but I either did not do what I thought I did or something reset it. This is a heads up, in case the absence in the KoL Quest Log is a New Thing that will effect others, and a feature request to expand the ways of detecting that lady S. already has her stuff.

Thanks.

Theraze

We're not going to add 50 new server hits to double-check all of the quest checks, but we WILL start the third floor manor quest. It's only needed if your preferences become corrupted or you otherwise confuse mafia, but unlocking the third floor officially does make the quest log know about her and then mafia's quest log tracking will update the M21 Dance quest.

Also added a fix for not farming the daily dungeon for keys after you've already finished the tower door. Since that happened to me today.

Considering dropping the BCA twin peak testing and using the mafia twinPeakProgress to track it instead. Since they're both preferences, either they'll both be good or both bad, but mafia is smarter about updating itself when it sees the choice, so it can self-heal. BCA requires you to manually fix the preference if it's wrong. Any objections there?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Got past it today so the fix worked. Thank you.

I could argue that eliminating BCCA specific quest tracking and replacing it with KoLmafia's would be A Good Thing in terms of maintainability but I recognize many things are A Good Thing when I am not the person signing up for the work to make it happen.

The relay Settings Manger script no longer works because of the expired domain. This may or may not be the right place to mention that :-(

Theraze

Okay, r583 makes relay_bumcheekascend.ash also use a local data file. My bcsrelay_settings file was from April 3rd, but that's probably the current thing.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Good morning.

BCCA had the same problems with Lady S. that I reported before. This time I manually set all of the related parameters to the current ascension and it got past things. Whatever made me think those values were being changed after I set them did not happen so that report is not repeatable and/or operator error. I note the complete absence of anything Lady S related in the Quest Log (on three different characters) except
Lady Spookyraven's Babies
You saved all of Lady Spookyraven's beautiful, beautiful babies. Precious babies. Babies.
which obviously occurs after the optional final interaction is complete. I note BCCA is checking the Quest Log so my hypothesis is that the core problem is KoL had changed what is, or is not, in the Quest Log, and that BCCA has not yet changed to deal with the absence of that. The good news is that with the ascending characters past this, it will be a few days before I can confirm that things are different or resume my whining or whatever it is I do :)

The relay script displayed the variables which is good. I assume they can be edited although I did not verify that. the descriptions were absent but that could be a problem entirely of my own making.

Theraze - I note that this is the second script that is of significant importance to the KoLmafia community that you have stepped in to maintain when the primary author is unable to do so. I want to thank you for that and hope that my reports and comments do not obscure my gratitude.

Theraze

KoL doesn't have anything in the quest log between finishing the dance and starting the baby quest. I think that may be a new KoL 'feature' where it doesn't list anything.

That's why now, when you finish the dance quest using BCA, it starts the baby quest, which makes the quest log show things for her again.
Any characters that had previously finished the dance quest won't be auto-unlocking the babies, because that stage is already done. To 'fix' the BCA detection there, just make sure that KoL once again knows about the lady... go talk to her on the third floor, then run refresh quests. Or manually set bcasc_stage_manorbedroom, manorballroom, manorgallery, and manorbathroom to your current ascension.

If someone has a copy of bcsrelay_settings with the descriptions, we can replace that into the SVN. The BCA version is just int and string, which is what we've got currently. But if someone's got the full one around... Yes, the current version on BCA would have wiped your bcsrelay_settings data file, but if you have previous versions up (Dropbox, VSC, whatever) then we should be able to get that back.

Welcome. I actually like the reports and comments, because otherwise I just make the changes and don't get any input until people complain about things. :) If people give me input, it gives me motivation to do stuff that doesn't necessarily tick my "must-fix-for-me-right-now" box. Heh. Though I still do need to either be able to test it myself or have someone who is giving feedback regularly, so I don't end up breaking things worse.

I'll probably try to get on fixing the twin peak quest tracking soon. One major change at a time, but think we're almost done with the manor second floor. :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I visited Lady S. on the third floor bust missed the manual refresh quests. Next time. I keep harping on the quest log because, subject to my reading comprehension, bcca code was looking.

Attached file is from my Dropbox and seems to be the newest version that has the annotation.

Attachments

• bcsrelay_settings.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 172

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Just got through the new tower stuff with a HC AT standard. It worked fine with two comments. I ran out of adventures and the script mentioned some kind of error and that it could not access the lair. That was true but I like the Out of Adventures message as being a bit more accurate. After eating and running, it stopped and said it could not defeat the meat. I maximized meat drops, tried once more and finished it the next turn. Not sure whether the script just didn't figure things out or whether this was one of those cases where if the script can't do it in X turns it will bail and let the user handle it. Thanks.

Theraze

Code:
while (my_adventures() > 0 && get_property("questL13Final") == "step7") if (!adventure(1, $location[Tower Level 2]) || !run_combat().contains_text("WINWINWIN")) abort
So it only tries to run that if you actually have adventures and you're still at the wall of meat. If so, it tries to adventure there. If it fails or the combat doesn't say that you won the fight, it aborts. Sometimes this happens if you start to adventure while beaten up from painful penne pasta or something similar.

Regarding the running out of adventures message, I'd need to know where you ran out. The messages are currently all location-sensitive, but failure agnostic. Because if you fail to defeat the contestants, you have failed, whether that's because you don't have adventures remaining or because you lost in battle. If one of the messages leaves you confused though, let me know which needs to be clarified. Thanks!

Also, I had it restart partway through the contestants a few days ago and noted that it tried to re-maximize and take the judging again. That should now be fixed in the latest revision. We only need to try to take the contest if the contestant amount is less than 0, because if we've beaten the contest, it had 0 contestants left and positive contestants means we're still working on it. The only possible negative should be -1, but anything else negative means that it was incorrectly player-set and we should let mafia try to fix its count.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Yesterday one character insisted on adventuring in the bathroom for a Lady S item (again) even after I had finished everything and manually found the babies. I manually set the bcca status parameters to indicate completion and things went fine. I still have my doubts about whatever is supposed to detect and set those :)

It correctly stopped and said there were contests to finish outside of the lair. I set the MCD to zero and then manually defeated one with noodles and one spell and the other with noodles and two spells. I suspect the issue is either I could not do that at higher MCD levels or WHAM neither figured it out nor stopped and told me. The latter is out of scope but I wonder if BCCA should just set the MCD to zero when it gets to the lair? (I am assuming my settings let BBS and BCCA play nicely on the MCD but it may be that this is a BBS concern, in which case I might ask that the BCCA failure message be different if the MCD is not zero). Thanks.

Theraze

Well, the other thing you can do is just re-run BCA. If you think it was just bad RNG swing or whatever, that's usually enough to fix it. It's when SS decides to stasis the Tasmanian or something like that when things will go horribly wrong for you and require some manual play... :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Well, the other thing you can do is just re-run BCA. If you think it was just bad RNG swing or whatever, that's usually enough to fix it. It's when SS decides to stasis the Tasmanian or something like that when things will go horribly wrong for you and require some manual play... :)

I re-ran because that is my first response to most bcca errors. When I finally did one and two shot I decided I was not going to blame the RNG :)

Theraze

Heh. Sounds like your BBS got confused then, since it's probably what decided to set your MCD... since I made these as outside-BCA scripts initially, they use adventure rather than bumAdv, so BCA doesn't do any MCD setting at all throughout. We could convert them if we liked. Might make it fix it. Or fight you. :) Your choice. Heh.

Landamus

The script is trying to equip actual reality goggles and breaks the maximizer. I couldn't find how to exclude them from the script other than manually editing the maximizer strings with a -equip. I don't know if there is an easier way to do this.