Bug - Fixed bitter pills aren't cookable

StDoodle

Minion
That's odd... what does this mean? That you can't make it from the cli, the food manager, what? I used to turn my nodules into bitter pills as a matter of course after solo tube runs, but I am in fact odd.

Bale

Minion
I think that this means you can only make it from the command line or crafting manager, not from a script. If you want to script it you'd need to use craft().

jasonharper

Developer
But you can't - that change makes this recipe completely unusable via mafia, other than a raw craft() of the ingredients.

StDoodle

Minion
But if you've gotten the nodulel, you should have some idea what it took to do so. Most of the people I know receiving nodules are getting them because there's no one else to give them to, not because they still need SHI gear. If this change does indeed mean that I can't explicitly craft bitter pills via "create 1 bitter pill" than I would also like to hear a good reason for it. There are tons of limited-availability items in this game that the user can use, get rid of, etc. through fault of their own, and mafia lets them. I don't particularly see why this one should be so different...

Edit to add: I'm still unclear what exactly "manual tag" means, though...

StDoodle

Minion
Yeah, what I meant was that I had no idea how I was sup'd to get that from reading the SVN log... sorry, half awake.

jasonharper

Developer
Prototypical example of a MANUAL recipe: fairy gravy + meat from yesterday = meat stack. It's a real recipe, of interest to any script that deals with discoveries - but you'd certainly never want to automatically use it to fulfill a request for a meat stack.

The idea was that there would eventually be a new section in the Item Manager with a list including the manual recipes, along with the individual recipes for items that can be crafted in more than one way, allowing you to explicitly use them.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
From the submit message:
Also added manual tag to bitter pill concoction since this is an expensive item to create.

I'm not sure that is a sufficient motivation to give it a "manual" tag. A time sword is also an "expensive item to create" since it uses a chunk of petrified time, which sells for more than 12 million Meat. Yet, we don't force you to go to the relay browser to make one of those.

Jason's example is a perfect example: we do not want KoLmafia to make a meat stack from fairy gravy and meat from yesterday in order to further use it to make a meat engine, for example. Nor do we want to make a vial of red slime out of two vials of red slime, nor do other pointless slime vial mixing on the way to some other slime concoction.

green beer is marked manual, too. I'm not sure why, other than the fact that we don't have a way to say "this recipe is only available on SSPD" and don't want it to show up all the time in the Item Manager.

The only other "manual" recipe is the bitter pill - and since that is not an ingredient for anything else, there's no reason to prevent KoLmafia from "automatically" creating it on the way to anything else, which is the intent of the "manual" flag.

In conclusion: I'm going to remove the "manual" flag from the bitter pill in concotions.txt.

Theraze

green beer is marked manual, too. I'm not sure why, other than the fact that we don't have a way to say "this recipe is only available on SSPD" and don't want it to show up all the time in the Item Manager.

Couldn't the crafting check verify SSPD against the HolidayDatabase if the recipe requested is Green Beer?

jasonharper

Developer
The main green beer recipe is SSPD-only already. The manual version of the recipe is there with the intent that it would allow you to forcibly use the recipe during an unexpected or held-over SSPD, which is not an entirely unknown occurrence in the Kingdom.