Ascend.ash: hands-off ascension script

LordDerby

Urgh. Just a couple minutes ago, I sent him a Mr. A, but I didn't read the forum posts until now. I sure hope this doesn't take too long ~_~

Theraze

If you haven't gotten a response after a rollover or two, send him an in-game kmail. Hopefully the bot is back up and running though.

ModeSix

I still haven't gotten my Mr. A back nor the password. This is ludicrous and dj_d needs to be held accountable for this garbage.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I just contacted dj_d.

I note that ModeSix's first complaint was made 01-30-2011. I confess I thought it had been resolved since dj_d supposedly addressed all known issues. I'll try and help but please remember that you did not send your Mr. A. to me.

I explicitly told dj_d about Suigetsu's complaint but only dj_d is in a position to verify the claim that Suigetsu is a legitimate purchaser with sub-optimal backup procedures and a bad memory as opposed to a scam artist trying to get something for nothing.

I am hoping that LordDerby's silence means the password was delivered.

Did I miss anyone?

And for the record people, a Mr. A is ten friggin' bucks! Two venti mochas at Starbucks. One overpriced paperback. A Happy Meal and some change. Earnings from 90 minutes of babysitting. Take home pay after two hours at a minimum wage job. Please try and keep a sense of perspective. If I sound like your parents then know that I am probably old enough to be one of them ;-)

ModeSix

I've sent several kmails.

As for only 10 bucks, it's totally about the principle at this point.

This thread needs to be closed so that more people don't fall into my situation.

fronobulax is maintaining the script and updating it, dj_d obviously doesn't care about it anymore, why should there be a thread with instructions to pay dj_d for something that may or may not ever be delivered, when the work is being done by someone else?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I added the following to the first post and am repeating it here for wider distribution.
TL;DR
The original author, and receiver of Mr. A's is on temporary hiatus from KoL. DO NOT send a Mr. A to dj_d unless you understand and agree to the following points.
  • You might not receive the password in what you consider a timely fashion.
  • You will receive no support other than that provided by volunteers.

In response to ModeSix's delayed response dj_d said yesterday
I'll make sure it gets out tonight.
Let us know if you have not received a password.

Suigetsu should PM me because there may be some resolution.

Kudos to ModeSix for knowing the correct spelling of principle. I usually get that one wrong. Nevertheless I am not amused by someone who apparently has never contributed anything to the community, other than several posts complaining about not getting a password, telling us that
This thread needs to be closed so that more people don't fall into my situation.
as a matter of principle. My patience may end up trumping principle.

slyz

Developer
It might also have had something to do with the recent problems with stats as goals (fixed in r9154 I think).

EDIT: sorry, apparently the problem really was "there isn't any safe place to adventure", not "it doesn't change to a higher level zone once the stat goal is reached". Carry on then.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Updated by me. See tail end of first post.

@ModeSix - As a matter of courtesy would you update your status? Do you have your password and/or Mr. A.?

@Suigetsu - I'm still waiting for you to contact me.

icon315

Might want to change
boolean ok = cli_execute("call Azezel.ash");
to
boolean ok = cli_execute("call Azazel.ash");

LordDerby

I did get my password within about 12 hours after rollover. I have nothing really worth complaining about for the timeliness.

As for the partial brokenness of the script in the first 5 or 6 levels, I have been juggling Ascend.ash with the Bumcheek script, though this is somewhat limiting in that Bumcheek does not yet support mysticality ascensions.

I now notice that fronobulax has posted an update to the script, which seems like it will fix some of the major issues I've been running into. Thanks for the update, and I'll definitely give it a go on my next run. :)

ModeSix

After much due diligence, I finally received the password, and got my Mr. A returned. Faith in humanity is restored.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
After much due diligence, I finally received the password, and got my Mr. A returned. Faith in humanity is restored.

Thanks for the update. I have been swamped so note the bug in post #691 above. You either need to edit Ascend to call the right script by fixing my typo, rename the file Azazel.ash to Azezel.ash or just manually run Azazel when Ascend tries to call it and fails.

Theraze

What Rinn's script does... at least, my version of it... is imports miner, uses checks to decide which ore is needed, and then has mine_stuff from miner actually get the ores.
But that's one free/public script using another free/public script.

I think that the scripts included in Ascend are the ones that dj_d talked with the script creators on, generally made sure that the version included in Ascend worked with the rest of Ascend, then took out the update parts so that people wouldn't break it. But that's my understanding, which isn't necessarily based on accuracy or other such confusing things. :) The main reason why that would need the script writer's permission is that when their script fails because of something they've fixed 8 months ago, it's good to know why people aren't updating, and who you need to get to update stuff to make it work right again...

scud121

Some weirdness going on, getting a slew of Zlib errors with the new version, script and data folders were empty, I'm tempted to say that ascend has broken itself :( any tips? - tried following and editing the first few errors it spammed, but gave up.

Edit - tried running networth and got the same errors.

Winterbay

Could you give us the error messages? They might help identify the root cause.
Perhaps a piece of the CLI output of either the ascend run or networth.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Ascend is working fine for me so you must have broken something :) You give a big fat hint when you say script and data folders are empty. I'd say nothing should work if that is the case and something has hosed your mafia installation. There was also a version of mafia that broke file I/O in some cases. So an example of the error message would be helpful as would the version of mafia that you are running.