Feature - Implemented Add counters for romantic wandering monsters

picklish

Just as a feature suggestion, it'd be super helpful if there was a non-aborting counter for when a wandering monster from a badly romantic arrow might show up.

slyz

Developer
I didn't follow the kolspading thread too closely, but apparently it works like this:
  • You arrow a monster during a combat
  • The next time you hit adventure.php, a 15-25 turn counter is set.
  • Once that counter reaches 0, the wandering monster will appear next time you hit adventure.php.
  • When the first wandering monster appears, another 15-25 turn counter is set.
  • Everything is cleared at Rollover.

Is this exact?

Last edited:

picklish

That was my impression for how it worked as well. I was just automate arrows and handling the wandering monsters appropriately and having more information about when they might show up would make things easier.

An alternative suggestion to a counter would be a property for the number of wandering romantic monsters remaining. It could get set when initially arrowing and decremented when that monster shows up.

Last edited:

roippi

Developer
One thing that we don't know right now is if free fights/runaways decrement the counter. In fact, I don't think mafia currently supports counters that are decremented that way, I remember this coming up in a previous feature request where someone wanted a delay() counter.

slyz

Developer
Free fights/runaways have nothing to do with this counter. It's like a semi-rare, it's scheduled for a specific turn.

Bale

Minion
I would also find this helpful, but am unsure of how it should be implemented. There's no way to set a 15-25 turn counter as slyz suggests. Does this mean to set two window counters like when eating a fortune cookie, or set a single counter for 15 turns so that the character knows to be wary.

slyz, do you want a new type of counter? One that has a time of 15 turns, but stays active even after coming up so that it appears as a (0) turn counter until the wandering monster appears or 25 turns elapse, whichever comes first. I guess that describes the 15-25 turn counter requested.

StDoodle

Minion
The only major differences are that wandering monsters (of which arrow'd monsters are classified per AFH's encounter taxonomy) will show as soon as you return to an adventure.php location, if you happen to spend your adventures in another manner when the monster would have shown. Ie if your monster would have shown on turn 50, but you spent turns 40-60 at your sign gym, your very next adventure.php hit will be the wandering monster. Also, that arrow'd monsters are cleared at rollover.

Edit: In reply to Bale's query, what I'd like to see is something similar to the semirare window parentheses "counters."

Edit 2: If such a feature were added, it would ideally track FoB / El Dia monsters as well. Pretty please w/ cherries. ;)

slyz

Developer
I was simply summing up what was known about arrow'd monsters. I think the best Mafia could do is add a 15 turn counter when you arrow a monster, or when you fight the first wandering monster. Then it would be up to the user to be careful if he doesn't hit adventure.php right away.

Just a 15 turn counter like the ones for the shore or the PADL would be fine: a simple warning that, after this counter is expired, a wandering monster could appear.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
If you're wearing the familiar's equipment when you arrow a monster, you get 3 of the monster instead of 2. I think setting a 15 turn start-window counter, and _arrowFights to 3 or 2 to track how many are left, would cover it.

Actually, the first counter window is created the turn after you arrow a monster, so if we go the simple route and assume that the player will not run from the arrowed monster and that they will hit adventure.php again immediately, the first counter needs to be 16 (and end at 26) instead.

Bale

Minion
BTW, if this is implemented it might be interesting to do something similar for FoB & El Dia monsters. What is the interval on them?

HippoKing

If I recall right, it's 25-35, set on the first hit to adventure.php after you kill the monster. I can't really remember where I'd have picked up that idea from though.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It's 25-35. Killing them hits adventure.php (like with arrow fights), so it starts as soon as you see the encounter. The first arrow fight is different because this stuff must be set when adventure.php is first loaded, and the condition is started mid-fight when you use the skill.

Bale

Minion
Considering that counters have been added for the encounter window of wandering Bees, would it be a lot of trouble to add encounter windows for Romatic, FoB & El Dia monsters?

• FoB & El Dia monsters have a 25-35 turn counter. They're basically the same deal as Bees.

• Romantic monsters have a 15-25 turn counter, but you would have to check the monster's description to know if they are definitely romantic. During these extra fights, the monster's normal combat text will be replaced by:
    You stop for a moment to catch your breath, and possibly a cold, and hear a wolf whistle from behind you. You spin around and see a <monster> that looks suspiciously like the one you shot with a love arrow earlier. It has little animated hearts circling around it, and it looks at you with such devoted longing that it turns your stomach a little. It lunges at you, intent on hugging you to death.

Terion

The thread about the update with KoL-native Timers had this post from schlurp:
schlurp said:
I've been hoping mafia would include a "romantic arrow reappearance window" timer for showing when arrowed monsters were likely to show up again. Now, I can set my own.
Happily, I remembered to search before posting, so I'm bumping this thread rather than adding a duplicate request.

So, seconding (thirding?) Bale's excellent post, before mine.

slyz

Developer
He already could set his own in Mafia. I haven't looked at the KoL change, so maybe I'm wrong. Are they exactly like Mafia "counters"? ie they decrement with adventures spend?

xKiv

decrement with adventure(s) spent, and fire an alert when you are adventuring with a timer that has only 1 turns left.
I don't know what happens when you are adventuring
1) in a non-adventure.php location
2) somewhere that takes more than 1 adventure with 2 turns left

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
1) in a non-adventure.php location
The counter keeps going down as long as it was already set to begin with, and the monster can't show up.
2) somewhere that takes more than 1 adventure with 2 turns left

It counts down all of those turns on the counter, and each encounter (if adventure.php) could be the wandering monster.

xKiv

I was talking about (the recently added) KoL native timers, and wasn't sure if they *warned* you in those situations. Your answers seem to be about romantic monsters.

holiday counters

According to the wiki the Wandering Monsters from El Dia De Los Muertos Borrachos appear every 25-35 turns. This holiday occurs fairly often, do we have any reason not to believe this to be accurate?

I could see it being useful to have monster windows in the relay browser for the various holiday monsters the same way we do with Bees (whether or not this should default to enabled is something I don't care too much about).
I'm not sure if we currently have behavior like this for Arrow'd monsters, but this could apply there just as well.

Rinn

Developer
I have some work in progress adding counters for wandering romantic and holiday monsters. The holiday monster counters were easy enough, but should these counters be set the first time you login during a holiday if they don't exist, and if so, where in the code should this happen? Also does anyone remember if the april fool butt monsters were wandering, if they were I was going to just add them in the small chance they reappear in the future.

As for the romantic monsters, it's also easy enough to set the counters when you encounter one, and to add a preference that tracks the number of romantic monsters remaining. The hassle is setting the counters on the next hit to adventure.php after initially using the skill, I'm not sure where that code should be placed either.