8bit-relay

beldur

8bit-relay

What is it?
8bit-relay is a simple relay override for the revamped 8-Bit Realm. It adds a bit of color to the locations so they match the Score indicator in KoL's default character pane, it adds an informational pane that tells you how your relevant stats compare to the maximum values needed for each location to maximize point gains, and it adds an obvious indicator for which zone is currently receiving a bonus.

Why?
Recently, the 8-Bit Realm was reworked to include 4 separate locations. Each location allows the player to increase their "Score" in the 8-Bit Realm based on specific stats with a shifting bonus to Score gains based on the number of turns spent in the 8-Bit Realm. At a Score of 10,000, a player receives a digital key - this makes the 8-Bit Realm mandatory in most ascensions. The only indicator of which location has the bonus to point gain in default KoL is super subtle - the color of your Score value in the character pane. The goal here was to make the bonus more obvious and display information about maximizing the relevant stats for each location.

Known Issues
The image/link for the Shadow Rift in the 8-Bit Realm from the current world event overlaps the right side of the cheatsheet - functionality isn't impacted, it just looks a little silly. If you notice any other issues, feel free to post here or on the script's GitHub issues page.

Compatibility
This will conflict with any other relay override script that affects the new 8-Bit Realm. If you use an ancient version of Internet Explorer, you might run into an issue with some CSS styling.

Installation
Code:
git checkout loathers/8bit-relay

Example
example_image.PNG

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
This is fun. Thank you.

It is giving me wrong information about when the bonus shifts. It says it will shift in five turns but changes after two. I suspect I did something suboptimal, such as adventure in an area that didn't have the bonus. But if that suggests something to check, please do so. I was more focused on getting the key than debugging info but I will try and pay attention next time.

beldur

This is fun. Thank you.

It is giving me wrong information about when the bonus shifts. It says it will shift in five turns but changes after two. I suspect I did something suboptimal, such as adventure in an area that didn't have the bonus. But if that suggests something to check, please do so. I was more focused on getting the key than debugging info but I will try and pay attention next time.
That number is based on the turns_spent in each zone modulo 5. I doubt you were playing turns outside Mafia though, so I'd guess your turns_spent were accurate. I'll take a peek, thanks for mentioning it!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
That number is based on the turns_spent in each zone modulo 5. I doubt you were playing turns outside Mafia though, so I'd guess your turns_spent were accurate. I'll take a peek, thanks for mentioning it!

I played everything in mafia. I have another relay script that manages runs. It has not been updated for the new 8bit and I am pretty sure I adventured once where it used to go. So it may be that adventuring there threw a count off. You could also self correct - if I run a turn and the color changes then there should be five turns of bonus in a new bonus location.

Thank you.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I have not looked at your script, but one hopes you use the properties I supplied to make it easy to script.

8BitScore - your current score
8BitColor - black, blue, green, red

It gets those from the charpane, so it should be exactly what KoL says.

beldur

Hopefully with 8BitBonusTurns, we'll see more accurate tracking of when the bonus shifts.

Also, thanks for the feedback here and in the Mafia PR, frono. I didn't realize that the counter on the bonus did not increment when losing or running from a fight and would've probably not figured that out for a long while had you not mentioned it.

Last edited: