Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59

Thread: My personal Meat farming script

Is the new property really VMF.GingerbreadCity? :-)

I had a hard power related computer crash that trashed one character's settings file. It has been interesting recovering because VMF works best if it can buy from the mall, buy from coinmasters, etc. and if settings that try and override defaults actually use the same case. None of this is VMF's fault but at the moment I am hypersensitive to the difference between VMF.NightCap and VMF.Nightcap.

Tangentially because Veracity scripts and some zlib scripts as well have adopted the convention of only storing settings that change from the default, the ability to discover things using prefref or the settings text file is diminished. I'd love the ability to type "vprefref VMF" and have a prefref type display that included VMF preferences that were set to their default as well as ones I have changed. Not to hard to build with awk but...

(zarqon's implementation has a defaults file and his relay script prefrefplus displays a merge from the default and user settings file but his autobuilding of the defaults file sometimes gives interesting results when multiple characters are played).

Sigh. Revison 290 makes it VMF.GuzzlrCocktailSet

I like not having excess preferences, and that was a design goal of vprops, but having documentation and the ability to see defaults was a discussion point when I introduced vprops, and he and others did their own script property management implementations.

The display of preferences is a convenience item. It became important (for example) when the character who needed preferences rebuilt ran VMF and ended up overdrunk. I knew there was a preference for that. vprefref would have been my preferred solution, in part because there is less visual clutter. prefref on a character who remained sober sufficed and there always was
    "vi VeracityMeatFarm.ash" so this is more about the easiest way, IMO, to get the information rather than whether it is available, or not.

It does make me wonder about whether an ash script can obtain the contents of another script as a string. :-)

I've found myself wishing for this feature on occasion; right before I resort to grep.