Guide

elpasi

When doing palindome and needing to find it, I need to adventure belowdecks. If I haven't unlocked belowdecks, it doesn't appear to say where to adventure first (poop deck), just "The pirates will know the way".

Could this be added, since every other time you need to unlock somewhere, it seems to say where you have to adventure to unlock it?

if ($location[the poop deck].noncombat_queue.contains_text("It's Always Swordfish"))
{
}
else
{
subentry.modifiers.listAppend("-combat");
subentry.entries.listAppend("Run -combat to unlock belowdecks.");
subentry.entries.listAppend(generateTurnsToSeeNoncombat(80, 1, "unlock belowdecks"));
}

(Doesn't say where to run the -combat)

Last edited:

Theraze

When doing palindome and needing to find it, I need to adventure belowdecks. If I haven't unlocked belowdecks, it doesn't appear to say where to adventure first (poop deck), just "The pirates will know the way".

Could this be added, since every other time you need to unlock somewhere, it seems to say where you have to adventure to unlock it?

(Doesn't say where to run the -combat)

And if you've gone back to the poop deck for any reason afterwards, the noncombat queue will not necessarily contain the Swordfish noncombat... you can hit the captain adventure enough times and strike if from the list entirely. Or if we just reuse the shady past check for the last adventure and the player decides to do the nemesis quest, it can get knocked off the end...

Ezandora

I'm seeing that same bug again. Guide is warning me not to fight Ed because I've got a semi-rare coming up.[/code]
Ah, silly me. split("") -> {""} -> "".to_int() -> 0. Thanks for the report! Fixed, I think.

Okay! That'll be in the next version.

And if you've gone back to the poop deck for any reason afterwards, the noncombat queue will not necessarily contain the Swordfish noncombat... you can hit the captain adventure enough times and strike if from the list entirely. Or if we just reuse the shady past check for the last adventure and the player decides to do the nemesis quest, it can get knocked off the end...
That would take at least 150 adventures on that deck, during which you ignored belowdecks entirely. Will detect this condition in case Twitch Plays KOL.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Thank you. I am using this more than I expected.

Two nits. In AoSP it suggests I get a meat car and open the beach. It still suggests I do so, long after I have opened the beach by other means.

HCO PM run. It suggests I buy a dictionary to advance my bridge after I have already done so. I thought I could only use one dictionary per bridge so, if I am correct, the suggestion is inappropriate. Since I always forget I have done so, I find the presence of a dictionary in my inventory reminds me I don't need another one for the bridge. I understand that is not a foolproof check, however.

Ezandora

Two nits. In AoSP it suggests I get a meat car and open the beach. It still suggests I do so, long after I have opened the beach by other means.
It has several tests for unlocking the desert beach. Checking via peteMotorbikeGasTank, lastDesertUnlock, desert bus passes, adventuring there, etc... It may require a newer version of mafia or a newer version of guide, which may be silently failing to update via "svn update". Try reinstalling guide? Sorry.

It suggests I buy a dictionary to advance my bridge after I have already done so.
That suggestion is very approximate. I could make it finer-tuned by checking for a dictionary in your inventory / whether questM15Lol is finished, which I'll add, didn't think of it before. The current test is whether chasmBridgeProgress is less than 12, the minimum value after placing a bridge.

Bale

Minion
It has several tests for unlocking the desert beach. Checking via peteMotorbikeGasTank, lastDesertUnlock, desert bus passes, adventuring there, etc... It may require a newer version of mafia or a newer version of guide, which may be silently failing to update via "svn update". Try reinstalling guide? Sorry.

lastDesertUnlock should be all that is needed.

Darzil

Developer
A very small nit, but the Guide carries on suggesting setting the ballroom song when all quests sped up by -combat are complete. I often leave opening the cellar til level 12 after starting war, and if I get the ballroom song non-combat on the way I turn it off again. Guide then suggests putting it on until the king is rescued, despite it no longer helping.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
A very small nit, but the Guide carries on suggesting setting the ballroom song when all quests sped up by -combat are complete. I often leave opening the cellar til level 12 after starting war, and if I get the ballroom song non-combat on the way I turn it off again. Guide then suggests putting it on until the king is rescued, despite it no longer helping.

Technically, it could help with reaching level 13, as far as the script can know. My case was actually using the quiet muffler and brood, so I had +25% NC available without the song and had no reason to turn it on, and the script spent the whole run telling me to turn the song on. I haven't thought of a good way for the script to handle that.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member

I always run a version of mafia that I build from the latest source so that's not it. I have my settings so that I always update script in SVN so I should be running the latest. However I will force an update. However if that does work and it gets me a newer version of the script then there is probably a bug or user misunderstanding to be addressed in the more general area of SVN updates. Thanks.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I have my settings so that I always update script in SVN so I should be running the latest. However I will force an update. However if that does work and it gets me a newer version of the script then there is probably a bug or user misunderstanding to be addressed in the more general area of SVN updates. Thanks.

My guess is that the issue is in getting the latest SVN version from github.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
My guess is that the issue is in getting the latest SVN version from github.

That is probably it. I ran, saw meat car suggestion. Used mafia to delete the script, used it to re-install and then ran again. No meat car. I suppose we should figure out why mafia doesn't like github.

Cool12309

This doesn't appear to have (full?) zombie support:
*Don't ever suggest olfacting
*The toy accordion for the tower is not available unless you pull it
*Don't suggest getting/eating key lime pies (or whatever else the script might suggest eating) unless it's brains
*Don't worry about the star starfish in the required items list (unless the wiki lies and you do need the hatchling in your inventory)
*Don't suggest wrecked generators, as your liver size is too small

There might be others, but this is what I've found. I've used this script all the time since I found it a few weeks ago and it works amazing! Thanks for the hard work!

edit: Another: If you don't have a pail for the tea party, don't suggest talking to the artist to get one

Last edited:

ereinion

In a Sneaky Pete run, the guide suggests I unlock the Mysterious Island by doing shore trips, even though I've already unlocked it by upgrading my gas tank.

Bale

Minion
In a Sneaky Pete run, the guide suggests I unlock the Mysterious Island by doing shore trips, even though I've already unlocked it by upgrading my gas tank.

I suggest you refresh your Guide, or else provide more information since I have never had that problem.

What are your values for peteMotorbikeGasTank and lastIslandUnlock and my_ascensions()?

ereinion

UT7wsQS.png

I also notice that it doesn't take the blacklight bulb into account for my desert exploration?

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Uninstall and reinstall Guide to get an updated version.

Oh, right. I'd forgotten that problem.

ereinion, you think that your Guide is up to date since it shows r138, but there is actually some weird bug with the interaction between KoLmafia and github which sometimes causes this script to stop getting updated even though it claims to be updated. (Ezandora is the only mafia scripter using github so it only strikes Guide.) So far, the best way to fix it is to uninstall and reinstall.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Oh, right. I'd forgotten that problem.

ereinion, you think that your Guide is up to date since it shows r138, but there is actually some weird bug with the interaction between KoLmafia and github which sometimes causes this script to stop getting updated even though it claims to be updated. (Ezandora is the only mafia scripter using github so it only strikes Guide.) So far, the best way to fix it is to uninstall and reinstall.

To veer - there is something out there, zlib perhaps?, that will check for updates without regard to a user's SVN settings. Normally I find this mildly annoying (word selected deliberately) but in the specific case of Guide, it might be worth having Guide always check that it is at the latest version and at least report when it isn't. That will reduce the number of questions that are answered with "Uninstall Guide and then reinstall it" and may help someone figure out what it is about github that mafia doesn't like so a decision to fix or live with can be made.