Bug - Won't Fix When use moon unit, KoLmafia does not recognize new sign until you log in again.

stannius

I used the moon unit to change my sign from a (formerly known as) muscle sign to a little canadia sign. So now I have the detuned radio in inventory, and also access to the MCD (the original one that goes to 11).

typing
> mcd 0
> mcd 10
ect. into the CLI doesn't do anything. (monster annoyance stays at the same setting it was before the command.)

Also, typing
> mcd 11
gives the message "The dial only goes from 0 to 10."

Using the detuned radio manually, from inventory, and going to little canadia and manually setting the MCD both still work.

I assume this will get resolved sooner or later when I ascend again. So this is a low priority.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It should get resolved when you restart KoLmafia. We do not do anything special when you use the moon unit to immediately reset your zodiac sign.

Considering it can be used at most once per player, ever, it doesn't seem worth my time to put in special code to detect that - especially since I will not be able to test it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I have a character who changed from Muscle Sign to Moxie Sign. Actually, no. That's Old Nomenclature.

I have a character who changed from Knoll Available to Gnomads Available. He has no problem changing the MCD. It uses the Annoy-o-tron, just as expected.

I'm changing the Note title - and marking it Will Not Fix

stannius

I could have sworn still getting this after restarting mafia. But I just checked and it worked fine. Sorry for the false alarm.

Theraze

Any chance your new sign was Platypus? :D Since until 9316, it didn't detect as a canadia_available sign... Well, until 9317, since 9316 didn't compile happily/repeatedly.

HasteBro

I'm having this same problem whenever I call a script that changes the MCD, such example is slime.ash.

After getting the "The dial only goes from 0 to 10." message I looked in the script I found this part of the code that dealt with max mcd:

Code:
int max_mcd()
{
	int max_mcd = 10 + ( in_mysticality_sign().to_int() );
	int mcd = 1000 - numeric_modifier( "Monster Level" ) + current_mcd();
	if( run_type == "larva" || mcd < 0 || mcd > max_mcd ) return max_mcd;
	return mcd;
}

Since my max MCD was 10 anyway, I decided to try deleting the "+ ( in_mysticality_sign().to_int() )" in the code. Afterwards I didn't get the message and the script worked fine. So it seems to be either related to the ASH function or something in the myst sign is not right...

I'm running Mafia r9708 and the script was the most recent version.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
That actually has nothing to do with this bug report. However, all you need to do to fix it is replace in_mysticality_sign() with canadia_available() in the script that is not up-to-date. Myst sign now means that you get extra myst stats, unrelated to what locations you can access.

Theraze

What lostcalpolydude means is, the problem is that your script is wrong, not that mafia is wrong. :) Any script made before the KoL devs changed moon signs will want to consider Canadia based on mysticality... you can delete that section, but it means that the next time you run a non-Canadia ascension, you're going to have a ton of MCD errors.

If this is a posted script, the bug report should go in the script's thread, not an unrelated mafia bug thread. Y'know, for better results. :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
It was the most related I found and I didn't want to post a new one. Regardless, thanks for the fix!

For future reference, while it is a judgment call, I think most people would prefer that you start a new report rather than pile on to something that really seems un-releated. You may have to deal with snarky comments about search if you make a new one and there was something already out there but the Minions (blessed be they) are pretty good about merging threads. That is certainly easier than splitting them.