Feature - Implemented wand-zap item in daily deeds

Jatopian

Zapping an item with the wand o' polymorph is the very definition of a daily deed, if you ask me, but it's not in Daily Deeds for some reason. Could this please be changed?

Bale

Minion
It's not in daily deeds because it's a bit more complicated than that. You need to define the item to zap. You might not have any item of that sort. If you logged in outside of mafia and used the wand, then it might blow up when you log into mafia.

Write a script for your daily zap. It's safer and if your zap wand explodes, the devs aren't guilty.

Aankhen

It's not in daily deeds because it's a bit more complicated than that. You need to define the item to zap. You might not have any item of that sort.
It could have an indicator for how many times it’s been used, and clicking on the button could bring up the normal zapping dialog to let you choose an item.
If you logged in outside of mafia and used the wand, then it might blow up when you log into mafia.
Mafia does track a lot of things that could be messed up if you logged in outside it though. It doesn’t seem like something the devs can or should have to deal with.

Bale

Minion
What matters is not how many zaps have been used, but how hot it got from those zaps, since it's variable:

Level 1: The <wand> feels warm to the touch...
Level 2: The <wand> gets really hot. You should probably be careful.
Level 3: The <wand> starts to vibrate. Wisps of smoke rise from the end. You should definitely be careful.
Level 4: The <wand> glows red-hot, and sparks fly out of it. You should seriously be careful.
Level 5+: The <wand> abruptly explodes, burning your hand pretty badly in the process.

Since the wand can be used outside of mafia, that would mean another page load during start up.

Aankhen

What matters is not how many zaps have been used, but how hot it got from those zaps, since it's variable:
Ah, didn’t know the zapping window shows the status. I was under the impression that it’s only when the wand actually zaps something that you get the message and the wand (possibly) explodes. I still think mixing Mafia and non-Mafia stuff is “here there be dragons” territory, though; for my part, I’d be happy if Mafia just used its own count. If you zap outside Mafia, it should be your responsibility to take those extra zaps into account.

Bale

Minion
I still think mixing Mafia and non-Mafia stuff is “here there be dragons” territory.

Personally I agree, but the philosophy of the devs has always been for mafia to be careful about that. I can see their point even though I think that anyone who mixes the two deserves to suffer for their heresy.

Aankhen

Personally I agree, but the philosophy of the devs has always been for mafia to be careful about that. I can see their point even though I think that anyone who mixes the two deserves to suffer for their heresy.
Okay. Nothing more to say here really. :p

Jatopian

You need to define the item to zap. You might not have any item of that sort.
What are you talking about? You wouldn't define the item to zap. We're talking Daily Deeds here, not breakfast. You know, that panel that tells you how many times you've played pool and whether you still haven't plumbed the Daily Dungeon?
If you logged in outside of mafia and used the wand, then it might blow up when you log into mafia.
If you eat outside Mafia, and then log in, Mafia won't know about that either. But when Mafia loads the page - and it doesn't have to be an extra load, just when you bring up the zap menu like you were about to zap - it can update its internal counter to the exact correct value. There is always a warning in the relay browser. There doesn't seem to be in the Mafia zap menu - perhaps that could be changed too - but there's no reason you would be stuck not knowing the current count if you weren't certain.

All I personally want is for Mafia to keep a Mafia flag: Has the daily safe zap been used? Maybe a 0-4 counter to be fancy. And show that counter in Daily Deeds, like with mojo filter and stuff. And it can be updated whenever the user loads the zap page.
Write a script for your daily zap. It's safer and if your zap wand explodes, the devs aren't guilty.
I'm not aware of a scripting command that'll alter the Daily Deeds panel.

Bale

Minion
I'm not aware of a scripting command that'll alter the Daily Deeds panel.

Well, that you cannot do, but you can add something to your logon script like this:

Code:
void daily_zap() {
	boolean zappp(item whatsit) {
		if (item_amount(whatsit) == 0) return false;
		cli_execute("zap 1 "+whatsit);
		return true;
	}

print("Looking to zap...");
	int whichwand = 0;
	for i from 1268 to 1272
		if(item_amount(to_item(i)) > 0) whichwand = i;
	switch {
	case whichwand == 0:
		print("You don't have a wand.", "olive");
		break;
	case contains_text(visit_url("wand.php?whichwand="+whichwand),"feels warm"):
		print("Already zapped today. Afraid of Kabloo-ey!", "red");
		break;
	case zappp($item[green-frosted astral cupcake]): break;
	case zappp($item[orange-frosted astral cupcake]): break;
	case zappp($item[purple-frosted astral cupcake]): break;
	case zappp($item[33398 scroll]): break;
	case zappp($item[ring of aggravate]): break;
	default:
		print("You have nothing more to zap.", "olive");
	}
}

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
There's the CLI command "later commands", which... "adds a button to do commands to the Daily Deeds list." But meh, you'd need some slight amount of scripting to set the state and whatnot.

Jatopian

I don't... I'm not looking for it to zap an item for me. I just want to be reminded to zap something. I don't see why that's so hard to understand.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
An example of when this would be useful, and a login script cannot help at all, is being reminded to zap a DD jewelry item in-run so you can finish the run when you get to the tower.

Bale

Minion
Okay, I get it now. it's good to know when you haven't yet zapped at all today. I'm sold on its value.

Pantsless

I would also like to see this feature implemented. I loves me the Daily Deeds pane.

Oh also: the Mad Tea Party would be a nice thing to add there too. I always forget to use it in-run.

th3y

I recommend bumcheekcity and hippoking's Rollover Management Script to check for unfinished deeds like this prior to logging out:

http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?2299-bumcheekcity-and-hippoking-s-Rollover-Management-Script

The official version already checks for unzapped wand. See the last page of the thread for patches for Hatter buff and Summon Crimbo Candy. Another patch that I intend to add at some point: reminder to autosell your bugged beanie / bugged balaclava (if applicable)

Mogwoggle

Request: Wand Counter on Daily Deeds

Just wondering how hard it would be to implement this?
I blew up my wand last run using it from mafia, and I thought it was my first usage of the day. Would be a nice touch.

Cheers,
Mog.